HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 9:16 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
The Chicago Architecture Foundation Shop is now selling small official Lego kits of some famous Chicago skyscrapers:

John Hancock Center

OMG
the john hancock center looked nothing like in real life.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 3:44 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

The box should be renamed to "Sears Tower" Lego Set.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 4:34 AM

one word,

FAIL

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 10:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
one word,

FAIL
indeed epic fail

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 9:06 PM
I am a typical

Adrian always makes the most fantastic things.

I think if Lego was willing to put the effort into making a much larger model it would be more realistic. Personally, I wouldn't buy that. I could easily make one myself.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:55 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Here is an image I found on brickshelf by "bricktales" that appears to show some more of these tiny "LEGO architecture" buildings under development:

I recognize many of the same buildings that Tucker has built in a much larger scale.

Quote:
the john hancock center looked nothing like in real life.
Not that I want to buy this set but I did think about how to create a small JHC in Lego and it is not an easy problem to solve.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 5:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Not that I want to buy this set but I did think about how to create a small JHC in Lego and it is not an easy problem to solve.
yes and thats the fun part about lego is having to get creative to make objects

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 9:18 PM

Spencer(JSR) has much better models at the perfect size. there still at a microscale,or atleast my definition.
he should really contact the lego group.

Quote:
Spencer's microscale buildings:

Photo taken by brickshelf user a-tree: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3244701
[/QUOTE]

JHC would work very well with the "wings",maybe?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 11:32 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Spencer(JSR) has much better models at the perfect size. there still at a microscale,or atleast my definition.
he should really contact the lego group.
Spencer's buildings would be perfect but they would most likely be over $100. I think he said that his Sears Tower has about 4000 parts, mostly 1x1 and 1x2 clear and black plates (1/3 as high as a brick). Given the Lego company's pricing, that would probably be a $200 set.

Quote:
JHC would work very well with the "wings",maybe?
I have some very long and narrow wedge plates that would be great for a small JHC but they are light gray. If the Lego company made these in black Mr. Tucker might have used them in his model.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Spencer's buildings would be perfect but they would most likely be over $100. I think he said that his Sears Tower has about 4000 parts, mostly 1x1 and 1x2 clear and black plates (1/3 as high as a brick). Given the Lego company's pricing, that would probably be a $200 set.

I have some very long and narrow wedge plates that would be great for a small JHC but they are light gray. If the Lego company made these in black Mr. Tucker might have used them in his model.
100$ isnt to much at all, I would easily spend it,and thats saying alot since I only get about 300$ a year from working. (im 14,lol)

I think I have a black one,Ill see

atleast they have a white,gray,red and blue ones http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1431/...c7ad78.jpg?v=0 theres a bigger one to,as you know. heres a gray large one in a new model http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/legohaulic.jpg

EDIT: I have found a black "wing",multiple of them in one set,great other pieces to http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icrosoft:en-US

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 2:25 AM

Oh hey, JSR (spencer) does have a JHC! durrr http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=104279

hey spencer/JSR,can I make some requests?

BOC, westin peachtree atlanta ,transamerica, patronas, and CN tower. then youd have everything.

I would love you if youd make these.please? ill be yur best friend!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 3:15 AM
BANNED

wow
how did he make the sides of the JHC like that.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 5:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Oh hey, JSR (spencer) does have a JHC! durrr http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=104279

hey spencer/JSR,can I make some requests?

BOC, westin peachtree atlanta ,transamerica, patronas, and CN tower. then youd have everything.

I would love you if youd make these.please? ill be yur best friend!
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kdsalm ...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 1:38 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
EDIT: I have found a black "wing",multiple of them in one set,great other pieces to http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icrosoft:en-US
The angle of that piece is too large to do an accurate JHC; it is like a 30 degree angle! I was thinking of this 12x3 wedge plate:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=47397
And it DOES come in black.

By the way, I think I was being optimistic about the price being $100; most specialized LEGO sets cost about 10 cents per part.

I think that Spencer built his JHC (which is about 2 feet high) with four walls with setbacks on the edges surrounded by the slightly angled "oil derek" frame made up of plates and tiles that covers up the setbacks. I recall him saying that the building is delicate because of the few places were the frame and walls are connected.

Last edited by DecoJim; Jul 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 4:48 PM

LEGO Architecture

Hello-

I have been reading the posts over the past week or so and hope to provide some insight into this line and what considerations are made along the way.

First off, Spencer, I appreciate your support and myself am a big fan of your designs. I encourage everyone to read his posts as they offer some very good explainations about certain aspects and he brings up many points that you may not have previuosly considered.

We do have plans for larger scaled buildings (we have identified about 2 other scales that might work well) but there are many, many factors in bringing these to light.

I personally am tryiung to capture the architectural landmark in its pure sculptural form. Obviuosly, these are simplistic in nature, but one needs to consider that these are being marketed as souvenirs to the general public, not all will have an architectural background, knowledge or interest as most of all you have.

Spencers models are absolutely incredible, goes without saying. However, the detail involved creates many challenges, some of which I am still learning myself, when it comes to actually bringing a model into production.

A few things to consider:
Instruction protocols (there are actually rules to how to use the brick)
Part availability (with over 10k+ different elements, not all are always made)
Price point (retailers play a major role)
Target audience (capturing the widest)

The LEGO Group does fill voids by offering exclusives and limited editions and for this reason it may be possible to offer something more detailed.

On a side note, I will chime in from time to time, when I can be a value to the forum. However, you can always reach me by visiting my site, www.Brickstructures.com, feel free anytime to share your thoughts.

I was planning on posting a message about how the design for the mini JHC came to be, but quickly, wings will not work. You have 2 compound trapozoidly planes that intersect at 2 differing angles. Basically, both side slope upwards, so how do you address the corners and support those 4 sides at the same time.

All, take care. Kindest regards -Adam

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:14 AM
Meh

You have some very interesting designs there. Do you have any pictures that show your models more closely? I've always been interested in how models that size are structurally built. Legos are heavy, so besides looking like the building's they're supposed to replicate, they really do have to be structurally sound. I'd like to build a larger model myself, but finding a structural idea, and then coming up with all the pieces is difficult.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 8:44 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Mr. Tucker.
I am glad you noticed our little discussion. I hope some people's reactions to your Lego Architecture series does not put you off. I think it is great that you have managed to make a business out of your "Brickstructures" and your "Lego Architecture" series. I agree that hardcore Skyscraperpage members is perhaps not the target audience for the "Lego Architecture" (although the Brickstructures kits might be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickstructures View Post
I was planning on posting a message about how the design for the mini JHC came to be, but quickly, wings will not work. You have 2 compound trapozoidly planes that intersect at 2 differing angles. Basically, both side slope upwards, so how do you address the corners and support those 4 sides at the same time.
I will take that as a challenge! While joining the wings at the edges is out, there may be a way to connect all four sides to a central support. I admit that this design is likely to be larger than your Lego Architecture version; If I cannot make an JHC with angled sides for less that a foot high, then I will admit defeat.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
wow
how did he make the sides of the JHC like that.
first his model is way bigger than the lego set from the top of this page.
and seond i think he only fixed these crosses with clue. because the side of his facade is flat and i don't know any nrocks with two "nippled" sides.

@ brickstructures: your models are really not far from perfect! do you have a whole appartment reserved for your models?^^

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 3:12 PM
Meh

Ah, so these are to purchase. Even better. Very interesting. LEGO never made efforts for large skyscraper kits, which I think is really unfortunate. Imagine having a giant Lego skyscraper complete with a set of blueprints to put it together from. There is something cool and unique about coming up with your own designs and blazing new trails, I prefer that myself, but I could definitely see the fun and in building a Lego skyscraper from the ground up from a set of instructions since it would be more life like with real highrise construction.

Other mediums for creating skyscraper models just never appealed to me. Paper, cardboard (though cheap and fairly light weight), other toys for building with, wood and even puzzle skyscrapers. Nothing has done it for me like Legos have. All those other methods can create a skyscraper, but I love the feel you get with Legos that you're actually building something and really do have to think about structural engineering besides just aesthetics.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 3:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and you can make a change to it as you go if you don't like somthing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art