HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Cyclists will be out in full force, because a conversion to rail will ultimately close the route for years even if the end result produces perhaps a better cycling route. We see how this works with Line 2.
This bridge is used by thousands of cyclists a day, so it makes sense that there would be protest. The city is far too accepting of projects that close bike and pedestrian routes for years on end without any thought of providing a reasonable detour.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Probably less than 10% of the bridge users wear spandex.

I also wouldn't worry too much, it will take a couple of drunk jumpers and a lawsuit before the city decides to close it and require licensed tour guides and life vests to use it.
Yet 90% of the people who would protest a bridge conversion to rail/mup with a multi-year closure would be the Spandex Club

I'm a cyclist by the way people. Self deprecating humour is my favourite brand.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Cyclists will be out in full force, because a conversion to rail will ultimately close the route for years even if the end result produces perhaps a better cycling route. We see how this works with Line 2.
What about Line 2? I'd like to see what "cyclists going out in full force against transit infrastructure" looks like.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
I really don't get why it's apparently so hard for some people to recognize the fact that the city can just cantilever a boardwalk off the side of the bridge, uncover the rails, and we get both a train and MUP.

Crazy right?

But no, I guess "CYCLISTS BAD".

Please, reflect on how silly you all sound.
The City can’t even figure out how to remove snow from the bridge in a place where it snows quite literally every winter. I love your optimism but it’s downright naive to expect the city to implement the “ideal” alternative with anything relating to cycling and/or transit.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 5:49 PM

There's no reason they couldn't build the cantilevered boardwalk to provide access to pedestrians/cyclists before they start the work on the rail portion (but then, you can't reuse the martials). As mentioned though, City prefers saving a few bucks even if it means years of headaches for users.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 4:11 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There's no reason they couldn't build the cantilevered boardwalk to provide access to pedestrians/cyclists before they start the work on the rail portion (but then, you can't reuse the martials). As mentioned though, City prefers saving a few bucks even if it means years of headaches for users.
This is assuming that they would or could keep the existing boardwalk open while they built the cantilevered one beside it

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation