HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
It's Dow's Lake.
I don't think we can honestly say that.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
As the crow flies this building is at most 700 meters away from Dow's Lake.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
As the crow flies this building is at most 700 meters away from Dow's Lake.
It's also in a neighbourhood known as Dow's Lake.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:08 PM

390 Metres from the lake.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
Well, I think rocketphish was commenting on your earlier misspelling of Dow's Lake. We can honestly say that it's not called Down's Lake.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Thanks for the correction...I tried measuring with my pen on my screen instead of opening Google Earth!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 8:12 PM

Esthetically I find it as bland as poridge. What makes up for it though is the great location.You've got million dollar homes right around the corner. I haven't seen any advertising in local publications so perhaps that's also a factor for the poor sales.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 8:36 PM

Update:

We are changing the project name to:

Samcon Summerhill at 6 minutes 22 seconds from Dow's Lake at a walking pace of 4.24 Km/h or 1.18 meters per second.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
Esthetically I find it as bland as poridge. What makes up for it though is the great location.You've got million dollar homes right around the corner. I haven't seen any advertising in local publications so perhaps that's also a factor for the poor sales.
The looks of the building were chosen specifically because of the location. Like you said "million dollar homes around the corner." These homes are old and feature the classic brick look. The building will blend in nicely with the rest of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Well, I think rocketphish was commenting on your earlier misspelling of Dow's Lake. We can honestly say that it's not called Down's Lake.

I was waiting for Boxster to spot the error, but it didn't happen.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:54 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcon View Post
Update:

Samcon Summerhill at 6 minutes 22 seconds from Dow's Lake at a walking pace of 4.24 Km/h or 1.18 meters per second.
You're going to fit in here just fine

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:57 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Update:

good one

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:27 PM

Project Redesign

Hi everyone,

With a low demand for the product we were offering (6 storey 39 unit concrete which is very expensive to build). Samcon has decided to redesign the project with something that would attract more people. So far the direction we are leading towards is a 5 storey wood construction with approximately 60 units. We will offer beautiful finishing on the interior and exterior and a very affordable price. The units will Mainly be 2 bedrooms in the 635sqft to 850sqft range with a some 1 bedrooms as well.

The presentation center will be closed temporarily until we complete the redesign process.

If you have any comments and suggestions we would love to hear them.

Have a great day everyone!.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:40 PM

Hey, would this be the first time an Ottawa project has taken advantage of the building code change to allow 6 story wood buildings?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

With a low demand for the product we were offering (6 storey 39 unit concrete which is very expensive to build). Samcon has decided to redesign the project with something that would attract more people. So far the direction we are leading towards is a 5 storey wood construction with approximately 60 units. We will offer beautiful finishing on the interior and exterior and a very affordable price. The units will Mainly be 2 bedrooms in the 635sqft to 850sqft range with a some 1 bedrooms as well.

The presentation center will be closed temporarily until we complete the redesign process.

I think this is a good move. I think you are victims of a general malaise in the market. With only the Icon as competition in the area (other than the small build on Glebe Ave that is monstrously expensive), it would be important to distinguish yourself from their offering.

My only suggestions are as follows:

Don't underestimate the attractiveness of your location for Carleton students and staff. You should market to students/staff and investors who could rent to students.

If you can incorporate some open space away from Bronson, that would be very attractive to people.

I would strongly recommend ground floor retail. You are in the main street section of Bronson and could play a role in transforming that part of the street into an area with some street life. Assuming that rents could be cheaper there than on Bank, you could attract businesses serving the Glebe that don't want to pay Bank St. rents.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post

Too bad you cannot walk to Dow's lake on that red line!!!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:52 PM

Thank you for the update Samcon. Perhaps you could get inspiration from the new condo building just south of your site on Bronson — villa style. For the record, that one is wood construction as well.

Hope things turn around for you guys soon. (It would be nice if you could do something other than beige or grey on the exterior. Ottawa is full of those already!)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I think this is a good move. I think you are victims of a general malaise in the market. With only the Icon as competition in the area (other than the small build on Glebe Ave that is monstrously expensive), it would be important to distinguish yourself from their offering.

My only suggestions are as follows:

Don't underestimate the attractiveness of your location for Carleton students and staff. You should market to students/staff and investors who could rent to students.

If you can incorporate some open space away from Bronson, that would be very attractive to people.

I would strongly recommend ground floor retail. You are in the main street section of Bronson and could play a role in transforming that part of the street into an area with some street life. Assuming that rents could be cheaper there than on Bank, you could attract businesses serving the Glebe that don't want to pay Bank St. rents.
Good suggestions, I like the idea of marketing to students.

The location on Bronson replaced a building that had retail in it, though I don't know how successful they were.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Good suggestions, I like the idea of marketing to students.

The location on Bronson replaced a building that had retail in it, though I don't know how successful they were.
Retail in that strip has been pretty low end for years. With the new Rogers store and the new Mexican place at Renfrew, there is a chance to build a critical mass in that strip.

The real challenge will be the Bronson reconstruction in 2017. While there will potentially be some improvements for pedestrians, it will be tough for the business while the road is closed. (Or then again, maybe not, as without the traffic it might become a place where you would reasonably want to take a stroll.)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I have retiring parents, and many of their friends are looking for two and three bedroom units that have larger floorplans that don't break the bank. If you could deliver a few larger units (or combo options) I'm sure you would have quite a few families and retiring boomers who want more space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa