HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:01 AM

Dynamic Ottawa. What would it take?

Ottawa has been maligned as the city that fun forgot. I believe that is not really true.

What does Ottawa need to add or change to end that perception?

What will make visitors want to come back again and again and tell their friends to come?

What will it take to extend one night visits?

What will draw many visitors from our neighbours in Montreal and Toronto for weekend getaways? Are we already getting many?

What are Ottawa's current strengths and weaknesses? We know there are strengths.

Is Ottawa building things today that will help in the future?

Overall, what will help improve Ottawa's overall reputation as a city both within Canada and internationally?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:09 AM

Let’s start with more reliable transit.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:12 AM

Ottawa has many parks, but nothing like Montreal (Mount Royal Park, La Fontaine Park, Maisonneuve Park, St. Helen's Island, Notre Dame Island)

Many fun exterior pools in Montreal, but in Ottawa... (wading pools are good, but not for everyone)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 2:35 AM

A truly walkable city. Not just better transit. Nobody goes to Montreal to ride the metro.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
A truly walkable city. Not just better transit. Nobody goes to Montreal to ride the metro.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
This is a noble goal in and of itself, but I don't think it will make the city stand out or feel "special". (If those are objectives.)

I am old enough to remember the 1980s when even the top tier of U.S. cities were quite troubled and Canadian cities (especially Toronto) were much vaunted by Canadians and Americans alike as marvels of urbanity "that worked".

Then a lot of American cities got their act together (NYC, Boston, DC, etc.) and all of a sudden Canadian cities didn't feel so special.

So if Ottawa goes this route, it should do it for Ottawans. Not to add lustre to impress outsiders. As anything of that nature is likely to be copies and therefore short-lived in terms of "shine" effect.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Let's hope we get Lebreton and surrounding lands right. I always worry about that section between Bronson and Bank, that has been a wasteland for pedestrians. It only takes a block or so of nothing interesting, to deter pedestrians.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a noble goal in and of itself, but I don't think it will make the city stand out or feel "special". (If those are objectives.)

I am old enough to remember the 1980s when even the top tier of U.S. cities were quite troubled and Canadian cities (especially Toronto) were much vaunted by Canadians and Americans alike as marvels of urbanity "that worked".

Then a lot of American cities got their act together (NYC, Boston, DC, etc.) and all of a sudden Canadian cities didn't feel so special.

So if Ottawa goes this route, it should do it for Ottawans. Not to add lustre to impress outsiders. As anything of that nature is likely to be copies and therefore short-lived in terms of "shine" effect.
You are right of course. American cities were ruined by downtown expressways and white flight back in the 1950s to 1980s. There are definite improvements in American cities in recent years, but many of those cities still have the downtown expressways, and substandard transit that requires too many downtown parking lots and a lack of pedestrian traffic. Lots of pedestrian traffic does animate a city.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:05 PM

Not the best timing, but an indoor attraction that isn’t a museum.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 7:18 PM

Ottawa will always have a quiet reputation regardless of what it does. It's part and parcel of being a created national capitol. This is why it will also be used as a swear word by Canadians...........saying Ottawa is de facto saying the government. It of course is also viewed as a fat cat city. How can Ottawa seem exciting when it's only 200 km from Montreal and sandwiched between Montreal & Toronto?

I agree that Ottawa has no inner city parks little alone downtown. It certainly has the beautiful Rideau Canal but no actual parks or gardens. It's a very odd omission for a national capitol.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 8:33 PM
Busy Beaver

Ottawa focuses way too much on middle to affluent (mostly family) tourism. We need to encourage youth and budget travellers. Sure we have the Nicholas gaol hostel, but there are very little other backpackers places. In many places in Europe, there are municipal hostels that allow young people to discover and participate in cultural activities on their own. Ottawa will forever be labelled a "boring" place to visit unless it starts seriously catering to this segment.

The other aspect that needs support and encouragement is the creative class. Ottawa has become increasingly gentrified, pushing affordable spaces conducive to artistic activity out of the picture. We need more incubators for originality and uniqueness.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 9:10 PM

Tearing down and starting from scratch could be an option...

Too many public servant "Karen" types still... NIMBYism everywhere.

The central experimental farm, rivers and canal have so many possibilities and yet we do nothing.

The city has changed greatly but I think we need new leadership and energy to do anything "BIG".

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Ottawa will always have a quiet reputation regardless of what it does. It's part and parcel of being a created national capitol. This is why it will also be used as a swear word by Canadians...........saying Ottawa is de facto saying the government. It of course is also viewed as a fat cat city. How can Ottawa seem exciting when it's only 200 km from Montreal and sandwiched between Montreal & Toronto?

I agree that Ottawa has no inner city parks little alone downtown. It certainly has the beautiful Rideau Canal but no actual parks or gardens. It's a very odd omission for a national capitol.
I don't really buy this. Ottawa already has a different feel than either Montreal and Toronto in a positive sense. I think we need to build upon this. We can't be the 'big city', but that should not stop us from being more exciting. Winterlude is an example of something that is uniquely Ottawa that neither big city can offer.

I agree with acottawa that we need indoor attractions that are not museums and that could add to Ottawa as a destination in both summer and winter. An indoor waterpark would be an oasis in Ottawa's long winters (for locals and visitors) and would be an attraction to complement Winterlude, which is not always reliable.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 10:49 PM
Still optimistic

We have an example just today of how Ottawa could be a lot more dynamic: Bank St is open to people and patios through all of Centretown. I went down earlier to check it out, and even in the rain, it was much livelier than usual. And this is with just a couple of cones and wooden barriers. Imagine what could be done if we actually invested in some street paint, some furniture, some weather protection, and some light animation.

What people remember most of any city is the street life. Places like Niagara Falls have all the gimmicks and indoor attractions you can shake a stick at, but no one ever stays there longer than the duration of a Falls selfie, yet people return again and again to Place Des Arts or Queen St East just to take in the atmosphere. Even without a single wax museum in sight, I ran into friends from all over the city and suburbs at Bank today who all came just to take it in. Attractions can be a supplement to great street life, but never a replacement for it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 10:59 PM

I've been thinking about this for many, many years and have come up with a few ideas.

The first is to focus less on the Parliament buildings as a tourist "draw". It's a beautiful building for sure, but no one really goes to Paris or London solely to see the seat of government. Let's see what happens if we let go of Parliament as our city mascot.

A large common parkspace is essential, like Central park, Hyde Park, Mont Royal Park, etc. There are many parks in downtown Ottawa, but none really speaks "Let's spend a day walking around and get lost!" kinda thing. This proposed park needs an easy to remember name, a clear "entrance", and proper branding.
Gatineau park doesn't apply, since it's not walking distance from the downtown core, and well...it's not in Ottawa.

Rideau Canal needs a vibrant waterfront designated as a food destination. I'm soooooo embarrassed by "Mexi's" and "The Ritz". Why those destinations?? ...and why only two of them?? Yipes...such a waste. Ottawa's food scene is so hot right now (cue Mugatu voice), and if that scene existed on the canal, it might be in danger of becoming an international destination!

Ottawa must attract the arts community, since nothing makes a city cooler than a vibrant underground and overground artistic vibe. A working class city like Manchester created and cultivated a vibe where the arts thrived, along with the headaches associated with it, but they dealt with it, and no one would now label Manchester as "boring". Ottawa needs to become an arts destination, complete with any moral, cultural, and questionable challenges that come with it. Offer huge tax breaks to film productions and music festivals. As a working member of the entertainment industry, I can speak directly to the benefits of financial incentives to attract the arts.

Ottawa needs more objects of "awe" that can be seen from distant vantage points, ie CN Tower, Empire State, etc. I'm sorry, but a government building doesn't really represent this, nor does it inspire imagination and success. I can't imagine an impressionable youth ever thinking..."wow..look at that government building...one day I hope to legislate!..."

Lastly, if we go the DC route, all museums should be within walking distance from one another. Tell my why the (beautiful) Aviation Museum is where it is?? Why is the Science and Tech Museum next to Dooleys in an industrial park? Who makes these decisions?? Such wasted opportunities....

Don't get me wrong friends, I love Ottawa, buy man oh man, could it ever use a re-think...it could be great...and don't even get me started on the ratty utility poles everywhere....

Last edited by grooveduster; Jul 11, 2020 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
We have an example just today of how Ottawa could be a lot more dynamic: Bank St is open to people and patios through all of Centretown. I went down earlier to check it out, and even in the rain, it was much livelier than usual. And this is with just a couple of cones and wooden barriers. Imagine what could be done if we actually invested in some street paint, some furniture, some weather protection, and some light animation.

What people remember most of any city is the street life. Places like Niagara Falls have all the gimmicks and indoor attractions you can shake a stick at, but no one ever stays there longer than the duration of a Falls selfie, yet people return again and again to Place Des Arts or Queen St East just to take in the atmosphere. Even without a single wax museum in sight, I ran into friends from all over the city and suburbs at Bank today who all came just to take it in. Attractions can be a supplement to great street life, but never a replacement for it.
You're absolutely correct....

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Ottawa has been maligned as the city that fun forgot. I believe that is not really true.

What does Ottawa need to add or change to end that perception?
Change: Some of Ontario's anti-fun provincial policies. That's out of Ottawa's hands alone.
Change: Too many properties with PWGSC as the landlord on Sparks.
Change: Reflexive anti-building, pro-shrubbery mindset whenever it comes to any development or redevelopment.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Narrator: People totally do that.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I agree that Ottawa has no inner city parks little alone downtown.
Have you ever been to Ottawa?

Quote:
It certainly has the beautiful Rideau Canal but no actual parks or gardens. It's a very odd omission for a national capitol.
Have you ever seen a map of Ottawa?

Why are so many people in Ottawa convinced that (a) Ottawa is lacking in parks, and (b) parks are the key to make a city more "dynamic/vibrant/exciting", etc.?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Ottawa focuses way too much on middle to affluent (mostly family) tourism.
This is a problem all across Canada, and it's only gotten worse as inter-provincial and inter-city passenger transport that isn't a plane or a private automobile has atrophied over the past few decades.

Quote:
Ottawa has become increasingly gentrified, pushing affordable spaces conducive to artistic activity out of the picture. We need more incubators for originality and uniqueness.
Similarly, on the small-office and small-retail side. We keep losing small spaces in our older and interesting neighbourhoods to demolition and redevelopment that can only ever attract the Shoppers and Rexalls, while at the same time making it impossible to build new neighbourhoods according to the old and cross-pollinating way of building a city and its culture.

You want your city to not be boring? Stop allowing only boring crap to be built, start allowing non-boring things to be built, and stop hollowing out the parts and institutions in your city that tend towards making it less boring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion