HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 6:25 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

1357 Baseline Rd | 48m | 2 x 15f | U/C

A mixed-use development is being proposed on the last remaining vacant portion of land at the property known municipally as 1357 Baseline Road.

The proposed development is for a mixed-use building of primarily retirement home use, which consists of a single podium and two towers that disconnect from a u-shape after the fifth storey. Both towers will be 15 storeys in height (different measured heights), with the westerly tower intended for independent retirement living, and the easterly tower intended for a retirement lifestyle requiring a higher level of service. The portion that connects the towers up until the fifth storey will be associated with the easterly tower, with respect to internal functionality.

The ground floor of the podium will contain a mix of residential and non-residential uses, with the residential components consisting primarily of lobbies, dining, amenity area, and various ancillary uses which are associated with and to be shared between the retirement towers. The remaining podium space will be allocated towards service and utility space, internalized parking, and purpose-built commercial units facing Baseline Road.

The podium rooftop will contain a large open-space courtyard associated with the retirement towers. The courtyard will be bound along the north, east, and west by the towers, and will be fully exposed to the south towards Baseline Road. Extensive amenity area and landscape programming has been prepared for this area,

Details:
• 374 Dwelling Units
• 28 Rooming Units
• Ancillary uses to a retirement home
• 3 Commercial Units
• 287 parking spaces + 37 visitor spaces

Architect: ACDF Architecture

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__BQRI1L

Location and siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 6:44 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I'm getting a Marina City influence here.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I'm getting a Marina City influence here.
Except instead of Lake Michigan this one is surrounded by a sea of Walmart parking

Pretty cool design though. Would they paint the concrete or is the "white" just to represent bare concrete? That finish and the balcony railings will make a lot of difference in the final product.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 9:28 PM

I get SO excited whenever I see anything NOT by Roderick Lahey and Associates these days. This is pleasantly unique.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 1:49 PM

Wow, they're really cramming stuff into this parcel of land. That Walmart parking lot is almost always a zoo, so taking away some parking and adding more residents to the area will likely make it an even bigger zoo.

Regardless, I'm always in favour of reducing surface parking, and for once, we're getting a design that isn't a drab box or glass-covered cube. The design is actually appealing and provides some density.

My only concern is that those iron railings could get dated very quickly.

All in all though, a proposal!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Wow, they're really cramming stuff into this parcel of land. That Walmart parking lot is almost always a zoo, so taking away some parking and adding more residents to the area will likely make it an even bigger zoo.

Regardless, I'm always in favour of reducing surface parking, and for once, we're getting a design that isn't a drab box or glass-covered cube. The design is actually appealing and provides some density.

They are not reducing parking - the development is being built on an undeveloped lot that currently has nothing on it (no parking).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 2:47 PM
inner city

My personal opinion is that this site is well-suited for this purpose.
There are tons of people age 60-70+ who live within a 4km radius of here, who've lived around here for decades and built up their families and social lives, and would prefer to stay around here in their 80s+.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
My personal opinion is that this site is well-suited for this purpose.
There are tons of people age 60-70+ who live within a 4km radius of here, who've lived around here for decades and built up their families and social lives, and would prefer to stay around here in their 80s+.
Agreed. I grew up here (and went to school on this parcel of land!) but am happy in Westboro. Friends just moved from Copeland Park to my building and are unhappy because they miss that part of town. Not sure this will suit them, but they were looking to move across Clyde to the condos there, so I will point this out to them tonight.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 5:28 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Additional renderings:

Landscape plan:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 6:56 PM

I like this design! Reminds me of something plucked out of Miami for some reason. It's like it's got a "beachfront" vibe to it, which I dig. The landscaping planned along Baseline and Clyde looks pretty impressive as well, which should really add to the beautification of the area. We need more developments to consider their landscaping space like this to avoid having an endless concrete jungle. Honestly, this seems almost too nice for this area of town considering the surroundings, but I look forward to the change this whole intersection is going to experience over the next 5-10 years.

Only one thing I question - If you wanted to go eastbound on Baseline or southbound on Clyde, wouldn't you need to go all the way through the Walmart parking lot to the traffic lights? That place is a nightmare to navigate even on the best of days.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:05 PM

Proving that creativity and good design is still possible in Ottawa!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
Only one thing I question - If you wanted to go eastbound on Baseline or southbound on Clyde, wouldn't you need to go all the way through the Walmart parking lot to the traffic lights? That place is a nightmare to navigate even on the best of days.
Yes - also westbound on Baseline. Although, to go southbound or westbound I could see people going northbound on Clyde and then pulling a U-turn at the median break that provides access to the strip mall with the Burger King.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post

Sarcasm: Imagine! A full parking lot! Say it ain't so! Where will I ever pull-thru my MiniVan?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 7:55 PM

Some site office trailers and equipment have started to arrive on-site over the last few days. They must be gearing up to start excavating within the coming weeks.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
Some site office trailers and equipment have started to arrive on-site over the last few days. They must be gearing up to start excavating within the coming weeks.
Nice! Really looking forward to seeing this one to completion. Very unique design for Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Nice! Really looking forward to seeing this one to completion. Very unique design for Ottawa.
Me too! But I can't help but feel the great design is wasted on that corner.

I guess the goal is to 'up the game' of development around there.

It is the reverse of my current home - they'll have a beautiful building with views of concrete wasteland. I live in a concrete horror with amazing views. I'm happy my own building isn't in my view!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 3:20 AM

Excavation is well underway

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 6:23 PM

Alright, I like this, and I am surprised other projects like this aren't happening on the vacant lots along Clyde and Merivale behind where the Dymon building will be...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 3:51 AM

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 6:00 PM

Tower Crane is going up today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa