HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 12:47 PM

Getting rid of weeds before putting down topsoil and re-seed

Hi folks, I got rid of the old sod and weeds a few weeks ago and was planning to put down topsoil then re-seed but a few things happened in the family so I did not have a chance to tackle it again until now.

There has been quite a bit of weeds growing back up again (see pic). What's the best and fastest way to get rid of them before I put down the topsoil? Manual or should I call one of those companies like TruGreen or Weedman and they can come in to spray some stuff?

The forecast is calling for steady rain in starting on Wed so I would like to get this done before then, if possible. Thanks.

fast image hosting

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:00 PM

Depending on how much sun the patch gets, the middle of summer is a bad time to get new grass to grow, it would be best to wait for early fall.

If you're on an earlier schedule (BBQ season, etc) you might want to consider bringing in professionals or getting sod.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 3:04 PM

I don't mind waiting until the fall, ac. I just figured with the steady rain that we are supposed to get next week (Wed through Fri, based on the forecasts), now is the time to lay down the topsoil and the grass seed. I am also well aware the weather forecast can change on a dime!

If you look at the lawn to my right, my neighbour went through the same thing and his now looks as new! I kinda missed the boat with the rain in May/June but I figure something is better than nothing, my backyard was full of weed before as we didn't take care of it last couple of years for a number of reasons.

I'll play by ear, you are right, August is here so it may be better to do it in early Fall (mid-to-late Sep). I'll continue to remove the old sold as there is a good chunk left and take care of some other stuff.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 11:41 PM

If you using grass seed, be prepared to use a sprinkler and give it a good watering every day unless it rains until the grass is well established. Regarding weeds, you don't want to use herbicide just before planting grass seed. The biggest problem will to perennial weeds like dandelions. You really need to dig those up before seeding. The annual weeds can be hand pulled, but get rid of them before they go to seed. Good Luck.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 11:52 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

If you have access to one, put a big tarp (preferably black, or at least a dark colour) over the area with the weeds. After 2 days or so in the sun, those weeds will be cooked.

It's probably safer to seed in late August when the days are cooler. You'll want to try to avoid seeding just in advance of a heavy rain as it can cause washouts and you'll just have to start over. Expect to have to seed twice anyway as you should overseed once the first seeding starts to establish. That will fill in any holes. Even if you start in late August, you'll have plenty of time to establish a nice lawn before winter.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:30 PM

I am very happy to report my backyard is now green and healthy again I watered it twice a week, each for about 30 minutes, once in the early morning and once in the late afternoon when we went through a dry spell and the subsequent rain since has definitely helped.

I will wait a bit before mowing and spreading the fall fertilizer again. I don't plan to rip up the sod again (not for this house anyway) so I will have to be more diligent this time

I am not a green thumb by any stretch and have limited interested in gardening but it sure feels good to accomplish this. It took many hours after work and on the weekends but it is certainly much cheaper than having the guys coming in to re-seed or re-sod and I take comfort in that!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:13 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I am very happy to report my backyard is now green and healthy again I watered it twice a week, each for about 30 minutes, once in the early morning and once in the late afternoon when we went through a dry spell and the subsequent rain since has definitely helped.

I will wait a bit before mowing and spreading the fall fertilizer again. I don't plan to rip up the sod again (not for this house anyway) so I will have to be more diligent this time

I am not a green thumb by any stretch and have limited interested in gardening but it sure feels good to accomplish this. It took many hours after work and on the weekends but it is certainly much cheaper than having the guys coming in to re-seed or re-sod and I take comfort in that!

Nice job... very lush.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:39 AM

Great work! With all the rain we have had, it is good summer to establish a new lawn.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:00 AM

In the event that you approach one, put a major covering (ideally dark, or if nothing else a dull shading) over the territory with the weeds. Following 2 days or so in the sun, those weeds will be cooked.

It's likely more secure to seed in late August when the days are cooler. You'll need to endeavor to abstain from seeding just ahead of time of a substantial rain as it can cause washouts and you'll simply need to begin once again. Hope to need to seed twice in any case as you ought to overseed once the first America Civil War seeding begins to build up. That will fill in any gaps. Regardless of whether you begin in late August, you'll have a lot of time to build up a decent garden before winter.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion