HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:54 PM

I'll be sad to see Marchand go. It doesn't look like much when glanced at quickly, but the double height study/gathering areas seem amazing (bad spot during a pandemic, but great any other time).

With Stanton, it looks like they built a cheaper version of Marchand. For LeBlanc and Thompson, I generally prefer renovating or re-purposing older buildings, though neither will be a huge loss architecturally.

I'm surprised Brooks isn't on the top of the demolition list considering it's been abandoned for what, two academic years now?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:23 AM

I will be sad to see Thompson demolished. My first home away from home. I was in one of the middle rooms on the northern side, and they were about 1.5 feet wider than the other rooms, and you could tell instantly. Its incredible what an extra bit of space can do for one's happiness!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:30 PM

I think I found a rendering of the new Lees Campus. Three of five buildings will be demolished. The new 5 storey building will be 220,000 square feet and house the Faculty of Health Sciences. Start date July 2021.

https://twitter.com/ConstructionOtt/...35773457764356

Article on three upcoming uOttawa projects, including Lees, on page 30-31.

https://www.oca.ca/constructioncomme...-11/index.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:31 PM

^^^^^^^^^^

This is a drastic change from the plan put forward a year ago. In that plan, all five of the old buildings would have been kept and retrofitted. Now only two will be and three replaced by new larger buildings. What happened in a year?

The new plan has implications for uOttawa sports. One of the buildings houses the football dressing rooms , coaches offices, team meeting rooms. They will not be available for the 2021 season (and maybe beyond) so the team will have to find new digs and a new field. TDPace has been rumoured for 2021.

Also rooms in the soon to be demolished buildings served as dressing rooms for the winter dome. Both for intramural teams and outside leagues renting space.
Operation of the winter dome may be affected.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
^^^^^^^^^^

This is a drastic change from the plan put forward a year ago. In that plan, all five of the old buildings would have been kept and retrofitted. Now only two will be and three replaced by new larger buildings. What happened in a year?

The new plan has implications for uOttawa sports. One of the buildings houses the football dressing rooms , coaches offices, team meeting rooms. They will not be available for the 2021 season (and maybe beyond) so the team will have to find new digs and a new field. TDPace has been rumoured for 2021.

Also rooms in the soon to be demolished buildings served as dressing rooms for the winter dome. Both for intramural teams and outside leagues renting space.
Operation of the winter dome may be affected.
Based on that render, the three buildings being demolished are the three furthest from the field. Are the sports facilities in those buildings?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:05 PM

No the rooms in question are in the buildings closest to the field. Those buildings will be renovated. I was told a few days ago by a contact in the sports department that the Gee-Gees will not be able to use the facilities in 2021, according to the construction schedule. The area of the team rooms will be disrupted. Alternat plans for the team have not been revealed, and maybe not decided upon yet.

The OUA and Usports have rules , such as providing the visiting team with a dressing room----a safe one, so nearby construction can be problematic.

FHS should be happy, they will get a new building after all.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Dec 5, 2020 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 8:29 PM

Last week, at the Mayor's breakfast, UOttawa President Jacques Fremont delivered a speech.

He spoke about the new Advanced Medical Research Centre to be built at the Alta Vista Campus. Plans call for it to open in 2025 with construction starting in a few months from now.

It will bring hundreds of new employees to the site(better public transit would be nice). It is expected to attract international researchers and a stream of research funds. It is expected to foster start-up firms in the Life Sciences.

It is projected that it will generate one billion dollars of economic activity yearly in Ottawa by 2030.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Sep 28, 2021 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:33 PM

Eight years in, how is the Campus Master Plan going--and the teaching and research Missions the campus is meant for /

The Good

UOttawa continues to make advances in research output and make alliances with local, national and international entities. I suggest you read the Universities web site --particuarly those sections titled Media and News to see what I mean by alliances.
They are making gains in infrastructure to support these goals. The completed ARC and STEM, The under construction FHS building at Lees to be followed by the AMRC at the medical campus in Alta Vista. We can argue about the archetictural merits of these buildings, but to the university, the functionalilty of them is what is most important and progress is being made here.

The Bad

Ancilliary spaces are those that are not directly related to teaching and research. The recently completed Learning Centre that increased the number of study spaces on campus was good for students but other items have not. been.
UOttawa has some of the worst athletic and recreation facilties of any major Canadian University. First of all, they are large enough to support a community of about 25-30 thousand , not the 45000 uOttawa has. Montpetit Hall is decaying quickly now and needs to be replaced soon. The JC University Cente is not far behind as well. uOttawa did a feasibility study about building a new athletic facility at Mann Avenue. The study said it could be done,financing and all. The project has fallen through and there is not even a rumour that there is a PlanB.

Some years ago the university said it wanted to increase the number of residence spaces. It also wanted to tear down some of the old residences, like Brookes, Thompson and LeBLanc. 2021 was supposed to when this got underway.
This too seems to have stalled. Brookes was decommisioned a few years ago, but is still standing. A derelict occupying a large footprint at the heart of the campus. Probably a footprint big enough to accomodate an athletic building.
Ancilliary services impact on the student experience. A lack of good infrastructure for them leads to student dissatisfaction.
Funding is harder to find for ancilliary infrastructure as compared to academic
structures. It is time that the brain power at uOttawa is put to work to find a way to get these projects back on track.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 12:35 PM

In terms of residences, uOttawa seems to have now left this entirely to the private sector. I can think of at least 6 massive new res buildings outside off campus that have come up over the last maybe 5 years.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In terms of residences, uOttawa seems to have now left this entirely to the private sector. I can think of at least 6 massive new res buildings outside off campus that have come up over the last maybe 5 years.
The plan seems to be to let private concerns build them and then lease them to the university who manage them. Rideau, Friel, 45Mann , The Annex fit this category. THe management of some such as Theo and the new Envie remain in private hands. Yet the university has not moved to take down those rez buildings they have said are no longer viable. Brooks remains abandonned and derelict, and taking up valuable land. That is a pity.

Here is a student newspaper article saying how bad LeBlanc (built in the 60's) has become.

https://thefulcrum.ca/features/at-th...nsatisfactory/

How to get the funding for the needed athletic and recreation faciliies, including a new uni centre is a thornier problem. Goevrnments are reluctant to provide funds for anciliary services and infrastructure.Montpetit and the university center are concrete buildings that were built in the seventies and don't have a lifespan much longer than 50 years.

The gyms and locker rooms in Montpetit are substandard by todays specs. I was in the gym watching some b-ball last week and the place looked dingy.In spite of A/C the place was humid. A handful of years ago an employee showed me places where the concrete is eroding and said patching it up will only go so far. The building needs to be replaced.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:22 PM

Why haven't they demolished Brooks yet? Would they not be saving on property taxes doing so, or do Universities have different property tax arrangements, similar to the Feds?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Why haven't they demolished Brooks yet? Would they not be saving on property taxes doing so, or do Universities have different property tax arrangements, similar to the Feds?
I have asked the question before and told it will happen soon. Soon never comes.

Taking it down probably will be tricky. There is a large parking lot beneath the complex that they want to keep for now.They would have to be careful not to damage the roof of the garage. Maybe have to put new waterproofing over it. There appears to be no plans to build anything new there for now. So, if they tore down Brooks now they would probably have to make it into a plaza or greenspace until they are ready to build. I think it would be a nice central location for an athletic facility replacing Montpetit Hall. Upon completion, Montpetit could come down and a space for something else opened up.

The top of Montpetit is currently one of the spaces occupied by The Faculty of Health Sciences. When the new FHS building at Lees is opened, they will move out of Montpetit.

I have no idea about the property tax situation for universities.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Aug 10, 2022 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
The plan seems to be to let private concerns build them and then lease them to the university who manage them. Rideau, Friel, 45Mann , The Annex fit this category. THe management of some such as Theo and the new Envie remain in private hands. Yet the university has not moved to take down those rez buildings they have said are no longer viable. Brooks remains abandonned and derelict, and taking up valuable land. That is a pity.

Here is a student newspaper article saying how bad LeBlanc (built in the 60's) has become.

https://thefulcrum.ca/features/at-th...nsatisfactory/

How to get the funding for the needed athletic and recreation faciliies, including a new uni centre is a thornier problem. Goevrnments are reluctant to provide funds for anciliary services and infrastructure.Montpetit and the university center are concrete buildings that were built in the seventies and don't have a lifespan much longer than 50 years.

The gyms and locker rooms in Montpetit are substandard by todays specs. I was in the gym watching some b-ball last week and the place looked dingy.In spite of A/C the place was humid. A handful of years ago an employee showed me places where the concrete is eroding and said patching it up will only go so far. The building needs to be replaced.
I find the residence thing very strange. They look horrible and have none of the campus feel that while not spectacular anywhere compared to other schools is at least possible on campus. Even urban universities can create a bit of that safe feeling. I guess they have a unique place on the Ontario landscape so maybe don't care about their competitors but people are willing to pay for residency so surprising they ignore it completely.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:09 PM

Article in Le Droit regarding the daycare at Brooks. Seems that they were planning on demolishing Brooks in September, but have no other space available for the Bernadette Daycare, which has been serving employees and students since 1988. The demolition has been pushed back once again, but no new timeline is offered. The daycare will receive a 6 month notice before Brooks is demolished.

https://www.ledroit.com/2022/07/15/l...c67bb27e404220

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
It is now being said that shovels for the new Athletic Facility on Mann Avenue, where the Sandy Hill Arena is, will not be in the ground before three to five years.

That is a few years more than the original proposed timeline.
I bumped this up from 2020.

This has dragged on for so long, without anyone speaking about it so I thought that the project was dead.

During the recent Homecoming Week , a chance meeting with some uOttawa officials said it was not.

If I understand what was said, the NCC has agreed in principle to transfer the needed land to the university when uOttawa has all its ducks in order, including financing,to move ahead on the project. The slowness with which the university moves on such projects means it still could be a considerable time away.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
I bumped this up from 2020.

This has dragged on for so long, without anyone speaking about it so I thought that the project was dead.

During the recent Homecoming Week , a chance meeting with some uOttawa officials said it was not.

If I understand what was said, the NCC has agreed in principle to transfer the needed land to the university when uOttawa has all its ducks in order, including financing,to move ahead on the project. The slowness with which the university moves on such projects means it still could be a considerable time away.
At least that's something.

I guess we don't know if/when the Sandy Hill arena (as a City facility) will be replaced?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 8:11 PM

https://www2.uottawa.ca/about-us/med...ities-rankings

The Campus Plan--among other things--is bringing results.

You can see where other CDN. Unis rank here:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

Quote:
MEDIA
NEWSROOM RESEARCH + INNOVATION
Published on October 12, 2022
Tabaret Hall

The University of Ottawa (uOttawa) joins the top 8% of the world’s universities by climbing 25 positions in the reputable Times Higher Education (THE) 2023 World University Rankings. Results were unveiled this morning.

The University now ranks 137th among more than 1,800 institutions, joining the top 140 universities worldwide for the first time. This progress is largely due to a remarkable improvement in the reputation survey results, both in teaching and research.

“I couldn’t be prouder of our uOttawa community,” says Jacques Frémont, President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ottawa. “This result reflects our shared commitment to inclusive teaching to an increasingly diverse student body, as well as our relentless pursuit of excellence of our researchers. I congratulate them all.”

The University of Ottawa is increasingly pursuing an aggressive research agenda in key areas that include biomedical and life sciences, STEM disciplines, law, and social justice.

“In the past few decades, we have doubled down on our research mission by recruiting top talent and increasing our research capacity through investment and infrastructure,” says Mr Frémont. “The result is more and more uOttawa researchers are recognized globally for their pioneering work. We need to continue in this direction so we are able to help shape the world around us.”

The University of Ottawa is working on ambitious projects to fuel the research and innovation that the world needs. One example is the campaign to build the Advanced Medical Research Centre (AMRC), a 350,000 square-foot facility and Health Innovation Hubnorth_eastexternal link to bring together 1,000 leaders, researchers, and clinicians under one roof, to work alongside as many as 50 start-up businesses. This seamless sharing of knowledge between hospitals, labs and biomanufacturing companies will lead to faster discovery and commercialization of new technologies and treatments the world needs. It will also attract cutting-edge talent from around the globe to make the National Capital region an epicentre of a thriving tech and biomedical sector.

The University is also leveraging 20 years of expertise in quantum research to harness innovative approaches through strong collaborations to advance quantum science and develop technologies adapted to societal needs for medicine, security, privacy, equitable access, and economic prosperity. It draws strength from its international outlook, attracting top students, faculty, and staff from around the world.

The World University Ranking 2023north_eastexternal link includes more than 1800 institutions, some 138 more institutions than in 2022.

Media enquiries: media@uOttawa.ca

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Oct 18, 2022 at 11:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 1:31 PM

The university has opened two new (or refurbished) multiple use outdoor spaces. One is called The Tabaret and Wallace Terrace and the other is the Montpetit Terrace.

The written description and several photos of each are long to reproduce here, so I will note the links to them instead:

https://www.uottawa.ca/about-us/news...street-terrace

https://www.uottawa.ca/en/news-all/t...tpetit-terrace

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:28 PM

Quote:
The university has opened two new (or refurbished) multiple use outdoor spaces. One is called The Tabaret and Wallace Terrace and the other is the Montpetit Terrace.

The written description and several photos of each are long to reproduce here, so I will note the links to them instead:

https://www.uottawa.ca/about-us/news...street-terrace

https://www.uottawa.ca/en/news-all/t...tpetit-terrace
Nice little public realm improvements for the campus. Every little thing helps.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:09 PM

Nice little additions.

Has the university made any progress on redeveloping all of the empty, asbestos-plagued residences lining King Edward?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues