HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 1:51 AM
National Capital Region

uOttawa Campus Master Plan

website is up. Project being lead by Urban Strategies.
http://www.uottawamasterplan.ca/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:18 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Work moves ahead on University of Ottawa campus master plan

By Neco Cockburn, OTTAWA CITIZEN February 4, 2014 7:00 PM

OTTAWA — Some parts of the University of Ottawa campus are crowded and lack common areas where people can hang out, study or bounce ideas off each other. Some people see the campus as a place to learn and work “but not a place to stay,” while “the absence of a memorable campus experience is an issue.”

The feedback is among two dozen reoccurring themes heard by a consultant team that gathered feedback from staff as part of work on the university’s master plan that will set the direction and development of the campus.

Work on the first phase of the project started over the past six months in response to the city’s planning for transit-oriented development near the Lees light-rail station. The master plan initiative is expected to be completed in the summer of 2015.

A new blog has been launched (www.uottawamasterplan.ca) and consultation is planned with groups that include students, residents and city representatives, before an open house is held later this month.

The university’s lead consultant is Toronto design firm Urban Strategies.

Other reoccurring themes from staff ranged from the need for a better-defined pedestrian network and more green space to new labs and research space as the faculty grows, according to information on the blog.

Newer buildings “have utility and distinction and accommodate students well,” according to one of the common ideas, but “on the other hand some structures have run their course and need to factor into new thinking ... and those needs may not match the past building trend or type.”

That King Edward Avenue should, over time, “become a new and active campus spine,” was among other themes.

An “invitational visioning workshop” is to be held this month for representatives of faculty, staff and students, followed by a campus open house in the University Centre on Feb. 26.

ncockburn@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/NecoCockburn
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...041/story.html

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 7:00 PM

There will be a special meeting of the Board of Governors on November 10,2014.

A final draft of the master plan will be presented for the board to approve or send back for changes.

It will be an important event for both the university and for the City. What they decide will have an impact on the downtown core as well as the university.

Comments on what one would like to see, or not see, can still be made here.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 6:27 PM

There will be public presentations of the plan on March 10 on the main campus--Agora, Jock Turcot Centre
---and On March 11 at the Guindon Campus.

Urban Strategies says:
Quote:
The “big moves” included in the Campus Master Plan were driven by our discussions with students, staff, and members of neighbouring communities, and include:
•Renewal of the main campus core, including a new University Centre
•A greener campus with more outdoor amenities and a larger car-free zone
•Transformation of King Edward into a lively street with academic buildings, student housing and businesses
•Development of a complete campus on the Rideau River,(Lees Av) linked to the main campus by a bike path and, in future, light rail transit

Rendering showing the the new Social Science Tower--a Rebuilt and taller Jock Turcot Centre and a plaza where Parking Lot X now is.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Feb 28, 2015 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 12:31 PM

King Edward Avenue

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 12:42 PM

Redeveloped Lees Av Campus on the banks of the Rideau River

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
Redeveloped Lees Av Campus on the banks of the Rideau River

Is that SoHo Italia back there?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/18...hops-5-storeys

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Is that SoHo Italia back there?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Looks like they have transplanted SOHO onto the land known as the Bowl at 1 Robinson Av.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
website is up. Project being lead by Urban Strategies.
Sweet!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 10:20 PM

Here is a link to the electronic version of the twenty page brochure for the Campus Master Plan. Lots of colourful renderings.

http://issuu.com/urbanstrategiesinc/...b?e=0/11781407

Too much to digest all at once.

One might want to look at what they are proposing for Lees Av and the Nicholas-Mann Gateway Precinct--page 15- 16.

Some current buildings would be torn down and new buildings replacing them ---Brooks, the current University Centre,the MacDonald Building and the Cube are the ones I noted.
Montpetit Hall will get a major rebuild too.

It looks like the shorter term priorties are.

--Finishing the new rez on Henderson
--The Learning Centre which is supposed to start this summer
--The new plaza on the parking lot at the social science tower
--Tearing down the University Centre and building a new one
--the Faculty of Health Science building at Lees

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 12:12 AM
Still optimistic

The link doesn't work for me :/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 3:21 AM

Wow. They are talking about tearing down half the university and rebuilding. This is pretty cool.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 3:37 AM

I really like the vision for King Edward.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 12:34 PM

Holy Crap.

I like some of it. One building I wish they retained was Montpetit Hall. I always thought that one looked pretty cool.

Also Surprised to see Fauteux Hall rebuilt.

Granted they are both from the 50's or 60's so I suppose in the longer term they will reach end of life...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:25 PM

At most Canadian universities, buildings from the ~1960-1980 era are generally in bad shape. These were generally built quickly and cheaply to handle the massive enrollment influx universities got during that time as a result of the baby boom and increased social equity (prior to 1960, generally only the wealthy would get university degrees), and as such they're in bad shape. Almost all universities in Ontario have plans to either significantly renovate or tear down most of their buildings from that era. The provincial government allocated $500M provincewide for this type of work in last year's budget, so universities now have the money to do this.

U of O will see dramatic change as the bulk of its campus dates from this era.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
At most Canadian universities, buildings from the ~1960-1980 era are generally in bad shape. These were generally built quickly and cheaply to handle the massive enrollment influx universities got during that time as a result of the baby boom and increased social equity (prior to 1960, generally only the wealthy would get university degrees), and as such they're in bad shape. Almost all universities in Ontario have plans to either significantly renovate or tear down most of their buildings from that era. The provincial government allocated $500M provincewide for this type of work in last year's budget, so universities now have the money to do this.

U of O will see dramatic change as the bulk of its campus dates from this era.
The plan does look quite great with everything filled out, but the choice of buildings (if that's what they will actually go with) are disappointing and homogenous. I like architectural diversity on campuses (UofT is excellent for this). Like c-speed3108 I was saddened to see Montpetit Hall proposed for demolition. It's a neat building.

Montpetit Hall by Shel DeF on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:54 PM
Still optimistic

I'm thrilled that they're going to get rid of most of the old, brutalist slabs! Beyond the aesthetics, those buildings are labyrinths on the inside, unintuitive on the outside and the nooks and crannies they create so freely are downright sketchy at most hours of the day. I see this as a huge step forward.

Now I wish there was a better vision as to how the campus can connect with Rideau St. and Downtown - it's not the best of experiences currently and it would be nice if you could be surrounded by walkability from Mann to the Market or across the Canal. Ottawa's problem (or one of them) is that we've got these really nice areas which don't connect with each other.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
Here is a link to the electronic version of the twenty page brochure for the Campus Master Plan. Lots of colourful renderings.

http://issuu.com/urbanstrategiesinc/...b?e=0/11781407
Too bad it's not a pdf, can not download it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:04 PM

Getting rid of Brooks? Holy Crap! And the skybridge between Montpetit and Lamoureux gone too, big changes.

And I gotta say I love the bridge from Lees to Robinson. Also the dock on the Rideau river from Lees.

However, do they not realize that all the greespace will look quite dead for most of the school year? Also, will the be replacing surface parking with sub-surface parking? If not, profs and students both will be quite unhappy... Also hoping for more underground/sky bridges between buildings for the winter months.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues