HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:55 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa’s landmark Wellington Building restored to 1927 glory

Megan Gillis, Postmedia
Published on: July 6, 2016 | Last Updated: July 6, 2016 10:38 PM EDT

The monumental Wellington Building gleams after a $425-million restoration to its original splendour, from the glass-and-steel canopy again punctuating the limestone facade to its humming 1927 elevators.

But to see the hidden jewel of this Beaux Arts landmark, walk through shining brass doors from Wellington Street and look up.

On the vestibule’s vaulted ceiling is a glass mosaic mural. It celebrates the building’s original occupant, the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, and its then status as the biggest enterprise of its kind in the world.

A “treasured piece of art” unique in Canada, according to project manager Sylvain Lepage of Public Services and Procurement Canada, it is shining again thanks to a painstaking cleaning and restoration.

“At destruction and famine, thou shalt laugh,” it exhorts, amid images of the earthquakes, fires and floods from which “the Great Metropolitan Mother” would protect her policy-holders. Athletes in white cavort, nurses tend an injured patient and angels fly the company’s banner, all picked out in brilliant colour against gold.

“Neither shall thou be afraid of the beasts of the earth,” it reads above a sword-wielding woman fighting seven giant serpents and holding the bloodied severed head of one in her hand.

Metropolitan Life, which built the building as the capital was becoming a commercial centre, sold it to the federal government in 1973.

A recognized federal heritage building, it will house meeting rooms, a library and offices for 17 members of Parliament.

They’ll pass through a lobby wrapped in gleaming original marble, which was all removed, cleaned and replaced, before taking the classic lifts to the five upper floors.

“We’re proud to have preserved the mechanism for the elevators,” Lepage said. “In this space, you can put yourself back in time. In 1930, it would have been exactly the same.”

If the look of the building is all past glory, the guts of the renovation, sparked by failing mechanical systems, are pure 2016.

A 1950s modernist addition has been blown out to create a soaring two-storey atrium off the Sparks Street public entrance. It includes a giant living wall of colourful plants that is watered by a computerized system that uses rainwater from a cistern on the green roof studded with solar panels. A spiral staircase is picked out in lights.

The building has been earthquake-proofed and will use a quarter less energy than before while 90 per cent of the construction waste — less that contaminated with lead and asbestos — was recycled. Even tar was sent to an asphalt company.

On the outside, the building looks just as it once did, with 1970s metal windows replaced and the three-storey Corinthian columns that dominate the streetscape scrubbed.

“It makes a beautiful facade, right across from Parliament,” Lepage said.

Five great details:
• Almost a million glass tiles are in the mosaic mural designed by Barry Faulkner, who most famously created murals for the National Archives in Washington.

• 180 Wellington Street was designed by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company’s chief architect, D. Everett Waid. He was behind the company’s landmark New York City headquarters that was to rise to 100 storeys — the tallest in the world — but was capped at 30 amid Great Depression austerity.

• Collaborating on the project was Ottawa architect J.A. Ewart, whose surviving works range from Lornado, a 1908 Rockcliffe Park mansion that now houses the American ambassador, to the Civic Hospital and Glebe Collegiate Institute.

• At the peak of the six-year rehabilitation, 400 workers and more than 100 contractors were at work in the building.

• The steel-and-glass canopy that’s given a new look to the Wellington Street facade is actually a replica modelled on period photographs of the original, which was stripped from the building and destroyed in the 1960s.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-to-1927-glory

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:32 PM
True North

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 8:18 PM

I know this will be controversial, but I submit to you 700 Sussex. Hear me out.

Let's first start with the history. The site, as we probably all know, was occupied by the Daly Building for 86 years. Daly was a huge structure originally built and expanded as a department store before the Federal Government expropriated for offices. It was hated by many, particularly the Feds, who called for its demolition numerous times over the years. Contrary to popular belief, it seems the NCC did put in great effort to try and save it, but decades of neglect along with an incompetent developer forced their hand and the mammoth structure had to come down.

Although its loss is disappointing in many ways, it may be for the best. The boxy lot-line-to-lot-line nature made for a very heavy and imposing beast. It's too bad the NCC did not complete a thorough documentation of the building before it was gone. Though we have a fair amount of exterior photographs, I've yet to find any interior images, including an impressive marble staircase that apparently survived its entire existence.

For more on Daly, I highly recommend the Urbsite article, which gave me the inspiration for this post:

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2020/01/...s-10-daly.html

Here's an image of the Daly Building from the blog post:

Back to 700 Sussex. The building has been highly criticized for its rather plain design and its use as a luxury address for some of the city's richest residents. I myself absolutely detested the building for many years.

Over the last little while however, I've started to better appreciate its presence. The seemingly simple, beige design of the building was intentional; surrounded by some of the city's most historic buildings, the architect did not want to attract to much attention to it. It's not in competition with, but instead respects, its surroundings. It's set-back from Rideau leaves views clear towards the Château, Union, the Plaza and Transportation buildings. The principal window pattern pays homage to the old Dame, the Daly Building. Restaurants along Rideau draws life to the area. Retail and institutional uses along Sussex keeps that side of the street relatively busy. The elevator at the back makes the area more accessible. The expensive condo units assured high quality finishes.

https://ottawascondominiums.com/cond...r-condo-ottawa

The project was designed by Dan S. Hanganu architectes, also responsible for Tribeca which, along with 700 Sussex, is often quoted as one of Clardige's better developments. They also designed the initial LeBreton development, but that can be blamed on the NCC's restrictive design guidelines.

They also designed a federal office building at the end of Bank, between the West Block and Confederation Building. Though never built, the proposed design was modern, yet respected the Gothic architecture of the Parliamentary Precinct. Maybe a good candidate to re-design the Château Laurier expansion.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 12:51 AM

I've always liked 700 Sussex, for the reasons you've mentioned, but that proposed office building at Bank and Wellington is an atrocity and I'm sad I looked at it HAHA.

Also related to 700 Sussex, I was once walking behind it late at night and Larry O'Brien was walking a poodle like some kind of super-villain.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
I've always liked 700 Sussex, for the reasons you've mentioned, but that proposed office building at Bank and Wellington is an atrocity and I'm sad I looked at it HAHA.

Also related to 700 Sussex, I was once walking behind it late at night and Larry O'Brien was walking a poodle like some kind of super-villain.
For that Wellington/Bank office building, the height and positioning is odd, but in terms of architecture IMO, is closer to what would be acceptable for the C.L. expansion. It's a better approach from what's we've seen from aA.

The O'Brian spotting:

He might have been a disaster, but he got a lot transformational projects of things off the ground.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 7:18 PM

1140 Wellington is one of the best recent projects in Ottawa IMO.

The mid-rise condo building fits well on the traditional main street while the generous set-back of the tower does not overwhelm the area. Retail is all local businesses. The Bethany Hope Centre was fully preserved in contrast to the many historic buildings relegated to cheap facadism.

Good, simple architecture. An overall well executed project.

Completed project

https://www.hobinarc.com/projects/1140-wellington-west/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 7:24 PM

I also think it looks great. It's the best looking of the new mid rises along Wellington/Richmond

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:46 PM
inner city

I agree with these positive comments, and it's my favorite mid-rise in this part of town. Fantastic design and material spec.
I enjoy that view of it along Wellington when you're driving straight towards it before the gentle bend to the northeast.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:26 PM

Yes agree... love how they preserved the hydro poles... vintage

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Yes agree... love how they preserved the hydro poles... vintage
That would have been up to the City when they re-did the street about a decade ago, not the developer.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That would have been up to the City when they re-did the street about a decade ago, not the developer.
Yes, agree... I couldn't find anything else about this development to pick apart!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Yes, agree... I couldn't find anything else about this development to pick apart!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 7:39 PM

The Canadian War Museum feels underappreciated by locals and tourists, in part, I'm sure, due to its relatively isolated location in LeBreton Flats. Development of the Flats, Zibi, along with moving Canada Day celebrations to Bluesfest Park during Centre Block renovations, might change that in the coming years.

The building was commissioned by the Chrétien Government to replace the cramped quarters on Sussex Drive, which had originally been built as the Dominion Archives. The site chosen was CFB Rockliffe however, Chrétien himself intervened to have the location changed to LeBreton. The Flats has been initialy rejected due to the contaminated soil, but Chrétien argued that the museum would start the process of decontamination and provide a centerpiece for redevelopment.

The building was Designed by Moriyama & Teshima Architects, it was completed in 2005.

https://twitter.com/CanWarMuseum/sta...78440379404288

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_War_Museum

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The Canadian War Museum feels underappreciated by locals and tourists, in part, I'm sure, due to its relatively isolated location in LeBreton Flats. Development of the Flats, Zibi, along with moving Canada Day celebrations to Bluesfest Park during Centre Block renovations, might change that in the coming years.

The building was commissioned by the Chrétien Government to replace the cramped quarters on Sussex Drive, which had originally been built as the Dominion Archives. The site chosen was CFB Rockliffe however, Chrétien himself intervened to have the location changed to LeBreton. The Flats has been initialy rejected due to the contaminated soil, but Chrétien argued that the museum would start the process of decontamination and provide a centerpiece for redevelopment.

The building was Designed by Moriyama & Teshima Architects, it was completed in 2005.
Raymond Moriyama and his family were sent to an interment camp in British Columbia during World War 2. I think that's a really incredible part of the story for this building and its architect.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 12:04 PM

That's a great story. Suprised I didn't know. Good to se thst even through that hardship, he was able to become one of Canada's most prolific architects.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:08 PM
inner city

So great. On the 'active threads' page this morning, none of the top 12 recent threads were about cheaply clad grey and white rectangle cardboard box-shaped buildings. Cheers to that! Have a great afternoon and long weekend everyone.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
So great. On the 'active threads' page this morning, none of the top 12 recent threads were about cheaply clad grey and white rectangle cardboard box-shaped buildings. Cheers to that! Have a great afternoon and long weekend everyone.
It's a miracle!!!! You as well man, make sure to wear your N95! I've been getting pics from friends back home, that smoke is nasty!!

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:18 PM

While we discuss the list of Federal Buildings that could be "disposed" of, I thought I would mention some mid-century gems on that list. Edward Drake was already posted on the first page of this thread, so I submit Brooks Claxton, the centrepiece of Tunney's Pasture. Built in 1965, I believe the tallest building in Ottawa at the time, it truly is a fantastic example of mid century modernism.

From Urbsite. Article and more pics available: http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2009/10/...onsidered.html

One that doesn't get as much love, the Charles Tupper Building. Another clean mid-century design, from 1955-1960. Bonus, it has a splash of colour as well.

Sir Charles Tupper Building, Hazelgrove and Lithwick Architects by Ottawa Architects, on Flickr

More on the building:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/dfhd/page_...d=8911&i=60778

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Ch...upper_Building

The exterior and structure of Brook Claxton must absolutely be preserved in any future private sector project.

Charles Tupper, I understand, could be more challenging with its large footprint and layout. More suited for a Federal complex, educational institution or hospital than a residential building. Preserving at least on of the "H"s would be appreciated. At least a "T".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion