HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Going a world away to come back home

by Anita Murray May 2, 2013 in Homes

The past and the future, and the importance of a neighbourhood corner, all came into play when it was time to redevelop the site of a former Pronto store and century-old home at Woodroffe Avenue and Richmond Road.

For John Thomas, that was not to be taken lightly.

“You have to be responsible as a developer,” he says. “You’re a temporary owner of that location and what you build is there long term, so coming in and milking the site for all it’s worth and leaving, I think, does a disservice to the city, quite frankly.”

A lawyer by trade and new to the Ottawa development scene, the 43-year-old cut his teeth with some big players in the Middle East, including working with the crown prince in Abu Dhabi to develop a financial centre for the United Arab Emirates — “really nation-building stuff,” he says. “You get exposed to people from all around the world.”

So how did he end up here, launching a development company and taking on a condo project where there was once a corner store?

He’s merely coming full circle.

Born in India but raised in Ottawa, Thomas grew up around that Pronto store and went to church at Our Lady of Fatima across the street. So, for him, buying the property while on a visit home to see family was merely the lure to bring him back.

But his time away helps explain the international flavour to his flagship project, The Azure, which launches May 5.

The thoughtful building is designed by the London firm PLP Architecture, with which Thomas first worked in Abu Dhabi.

He brought them in as “a fresh set of eyes” and for their innovation. “They took a lot of time assessing the site. I told them what I wanted … they eventually came up with 17 design options.”

They finally settled on a 14-storey stepped building in brick, glass and metal that is layered to look more like a series of joined units so as to break down the scale of the building.

“People know that corner,” says Thomas.

“It was important to take that into consideration and build a building that could stand the test of time.”

Lead architect Karen Cook angled the building so that it faces the corner, creating an open plaza for pedestrians and maximizing the views of the river. She then incorporated shear wall construction — vertical fins, she calls them — for a distinctive look that leaves inside spaces free of columns and flexible enough for units 25 feet wide that span the length of the building, like a “bungalow in the sky,” says Thomas.

About half of the units are the full depth of the building, something “we worked quite hard to accomplish,” says Cook. It’s more expensive to build this way, she admits, but notes that Thomas “really supported the idea of using architectural design to add something new to the marketplace … (It) seemed like such a fantastic way of living, so that you can have your bedrooms facing east and getting the morning sunlight and then your living rooms facing the sunset and the river.”

The height of the building gradually drops toward the homes behind to better integrate with the neighbourhood and to create multiple private terraces on upper units.

“If you can imagine, you have a two-bedroom that’s 1,400 square feet; you have these double doors opening up from your kitchen or your dining area out to the 1,200-square-foot terrace that looks over the river,” Thomas says.

While that sounds like it would have a big price tag attached, “you might be surprised,” he says.

He tells the story of getting a haircut in Westboro and finding out the hairdresser lived in Aylmer because she couldn’t afford to live near work.

“That sort of stuck,” he says.

“We want to make a project that people will want to live in and can afford to live in.”

As a result, there are 57 one-bedroom units that range from $265,000 to $500,000 for 685 to 1,000 square feet. There are also 30 two-bedroom units, two penthouses and four two-bedroom units with terraces that are 1,000 square feet or more.

In keeping with the international flavour, Ottawa designer Tanya Collins created three collections for the decor: London Classic, New York Deco and Paris Moderne. Her aim was to use “classic elements that never really date or are never too trendy, but in the way you put them all together you can make it look more modern or less modern.”

Taking finishes such as Carrera marble and varying shades of hardwood, which are standard, she has created distinct looks that show the attention to detail.

Also key is a focus on maximizing storage and creative floor plans borrowed from overseas that allow for flexibility in the living space.

Both Thomas and Collins, for example, tout the benefits of a main bathroom that can be split to provide a powder room for guests while keeping personal bathroom space private.

And to remember the past, designs have been created to incorporate old-growth lumber beams and the stone foundation from the old home on the site, along with wood salvaged from the store, into features of the lobby.

“I think when you walk in the building you should feel that you’re part of history to a certain extent,” says Thomas.

“It’s old and new; there’s a heritage to this corner.”
http://www.ottawacitizenstyle.com/ca...ome-back-home/

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 10:10 PM

This building looks really impressive and seems to have more thought put into it's design than any other ongoing project. I hope it is really successful and draws more creativity and individuality to future condo projects in O-town.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
This building looks really impressive and seems to have more thought put into it's design than any other ongoing project. I hope it is really successful and draws more creativity and individuality to future condo projects in O-town.
I totally agree. I especially like the fact that the building was designed by an architecture firm outside of Ottawa (and Canada for that matter). Looking at PLP Architectures' portfolio, these guys are legit. Nice design thinking going on over there, for sure.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the developer plans on including in the retail component at street-level. Being an "international" building, and the fact that they have a "European café" in the model, hopefully it'll be something a little different. They should still make some space for a Pronto though...to replace the old one

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 1:08 AM

I like the fact that the developer has international experience and contacts, like this UK design firm, and is using them here. I mean, he worked with the crown prince in Abu Dhabi?! Pretty impressive resume. And he's doing some different things with his units. It seems as though he sees building as an art and not just as a way to make money by putting up crap. I hope this challenges Ottawa developers to innovate and use new architects.

On a side note, it's interesting that he's born in India. A lot of developers in this city are from India. Not that that's bad. Just an observation.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
And he's doing some different things with his units. It seems as though he sees building as an art and not just as a way to make money by putting up crap. I hope this challenges Ottawa developers to innovate and use new architects.
I agree. I respect that he values what architects and good design can bring to both the city and the people that will eventually live in this building even if it costs him a bit more money. Apartments that are the full width of the building with windows on two sides (in more units then just the penthouse) is a good step forward for taller buildings in Ottawa. I think we have seen recently that more competition amongst developers and architects (around Preston for example) breeds more innovation and a willingness to push things a bit more in terms of design.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 1:31 PM

On the Canadian City Proposals thread on the Canada Forum, someone had this response to this development:

Quote:
After visiting Ottawa this past March what struck me is the overall standard in buildings in that city. It's definitely a step up from what one sees elsewhere. Maybe its due to Ottawa's wealth and it being the national capital, but there seems to be more attention to details, quality materials, colour choices, beauty, etc.

You see brick where one expects to see vinyl siding, nicer pavement, even their bus shelters were nicer than the usual concrete bunker one gets elsewhere.
Interesting observation.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:23 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the article above
About half of the units are the full depth of the building, something “we worked quite hard to accomplish,” says Cook. It’s more expensive to build this way, she admits, but notes that Thomas “really supported the idea of using architectural design to add something new to the marketplace … (It) seemed like such a fantastic way of living, so that you can have your bedrooms facing east and getting the morning sunlight and then your living rooms facing the sunset and the river.”
If I were in the condo market right now this would be a key distinguishing feature. This is a fairly typical feature of higher-end condos/apartments in Europe and it's about time the concept made its way over.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
On the Canadian City Proposals thread on the Canada Forum, someone had this response to this development:

Quote:
After visiting Ottawa this past March what struck me is the overall standard in buildings in that city. It's definitely a step up from what one sees elsewhere. Maybe its due to Ottawa's wealth and it being the national capital, but there seems to be more attention to details, quality materials, colour choices, beauty, etc.

You see brick where one expects to see vinyl siding, nicer pavement, even their bus shelters were nicer than the usual concrete bunker one gets elsewhere.
Interesting observation.
That's not right. Where was this guy from?

Random related though, I don't remember where I saw this comment, but a few years ago, someone in a newspaper said something about Ottawa and its ivory towers.

I guess grass is always greener on the other side; when you live in one place for 10-20-80 years, you get bored and it starts looking pretty banal. But when you walk around as a tourist, you see everything with a fresh point of view.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:26 PM

Random related though, I don't remember where I saw this comment, but a few years ago, someone in a newspaper said something about Ottawa and its ivory towers.

I guess grass is always greener on the other side; when you live in one place for 10-20-80 years, you get bored and it starts looking pretty banal. But when you walk around as a tourist, you see everything with a fresh point of view.[/QUOTE]

I agree, being born and raised in Ottawa you take for granted some of the nicer things in this city - the green space we have downtown, the Parliament buildings, the canal, etc... I'm guilty of taking it for granted, but I'm reminded of it when a friend/family member from out of town visits. Ottawa is an underrated beautiful city.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 9:19 PM
Closed account

The guy who built the models for the Rhombus, Azure, The Next, and Hōm commented on the photos I took of the models, and I messaged him a bit.

His name is Noel White, and he creates architectural models for developers from its location in Smith Falls, and his company is called Monolith Architectural Models (Facebook page.

I wanted to share some of his Flickr photos of his buildings.

Azure by Monolitham on Flickr

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:28 AM

Some more info about this building in the Citizen today. Construction is slated to start this summer and occupancy to start in December 2015. I guess sales has been good. I do like the location, close to the Parkway and Westboro and not that far off from the 417 (Woodroffe or Greenbank exits)

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/homes/C...895/story.html

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Some more info about this building in the Citizen today. Construction is slated to start this summer and occupancy to start in December 2015. I guess sales has been good. I do like the location, close to the Parkway and Westboro and not that far off from the 417 (Woodroffe or Greenbank exits)

Not to mention the proximity to the future New Orchard Station on the west LRT extension.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Construction is slated to start this summer and occupancy to start in December 2015. I guess sales has been good.
The website shows only about 30% sold. Be surprised if it starts with sales that low.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:00 PM

I like the project a lot, I love the floor plan designs and the interiors finishes. The location I'm not crazy about from a pedestrians stand-point, but in terms of accessibility for driving, it's a great spot.

But if the site is only at 30% sales, they basically have to double their total sales in the next few months to make a Dec. 2015 occupancy. Seems very unlikely to me.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:37 AM

Construction set to begin Spring 2015.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 12:11 PM

Still no sign of construction starting and spring is almost over.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Still no sign of construction starting and spring is almost over.
They are 45% sold, considering most of the units sold are larger/more expensive, I would imagine financing is not the problem.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 6:24 PM

So my parents are looking to downsize and are very interested in this development, so much so they have picked a unit and had several conversations with the developer; and are now in the process of dealing with finances. They have asked for my opinion on the development, and while I agree that it is a good location, great design, and very good value, there is always a risk with a new builder.

They had planned on starting Spring construction, a deadline they missed, and according to the developer are in the process of securing a contractor. I have attempted to reach out to the permits department at the City to get confirmation that everything is in order but have so far heard nothing. I cannot find the company registered under the Tarion warranty (although I assume they legally have to be) and I am getting concerned this all seems a little risky. Does anyone here with experience on condos get the same sort of vibe from this development? Is there any resources I can use to verify the builder? I really want to tell my parents to hold off on giving any money to them until construction has started but they have been offered a discount for giving their deposit before construction starts.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
So my parents are looking to downsize and are very interested in this development, so much so they have picked a unit and had several conversations with the developer; and are now in the process of dealing with finances. They have asked for my opinion on the development, and while I agree that it is a good location, great design, and very good value, there is always a risk with a new builder.

They had planned on starting Spring construction, a deadline they missed, and according to the developer are in the process of securing a contractor. I have attempted to reach out to the permits department at the City to get confirmation that everything is in order but have so far heard nothing. I cannot find the company registered under the Tarion warranty (although I assume they legally have to be) and I am getting concerned this all seems a little risky. Does anyone here with experience on condos get the same sort of vibe from this development? Is there any resources I can use to verify the builder? I really want to tell my parents to hold off on giving any money to them until construction has started but they have been offered a discount for giving their deposit before construction starts.
I think your concern is very legitimate and you are doing a very honourable thing for your parents.

According to this article, it is illegal (in Ontario) for a homebuilder to enter into an agreement of purchase and sale or a construction contract with a purchaser if the builder is not registered with the Tarion Warranty Corp.

http://www.thestar.com/life/homes/20...ebuilders.html

I suggest you call Tarion to confirm that these guys are registered and there is no past complaint about them). I don't know if they have any prior projects but if you are able to do some research on that, it would go a long way.

Their Twitter feed has been quiet for more than 2 months. I understand it is the summer and people may not be as social media savvy as they should be but not getting a good vibe is probably the best thing you summed up.

Also, FYI, Tarion can only protect up to $20K deposit for condos (more for freehold). You may want to read this article to get a sense of the potential issues that may arise. I think the author's advice of hiring an experienced real estate lawyer who specializes in condo law is sound.

http://blog.fct.ca/deposit-protection-for-condominiums/

Good luck to your parents and keep us posted what you discover.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 5:28 PM

I drove by this development earlier today and saw a commercial sign either for sale or for lease, I couldn't catch the whole thing.

I remember the name of the broker is Ian Zagerman or something along that line.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa