HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 5:16 PM

283-285 McLeod St | 18m | 5f | Proposed

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...-0014/details\

Wouldn't have expected something like this on McLeod for a while. Still not going to complain about more density.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 6:21 PM

It looks like they're planning to tear down both of these two buildings and then build a modern lowrise and heritage lowrise buildings with the midrise portion in the back.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 6:59 PM

Looks cheap! The Streets around a National Museum deserve better

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 7:00 PM

Pros:
-Added density in Centretown
-Streetscape design blending in with the area
-Addition of 3 bedroom units

Cons:
-Those prefab yellow/Lebreton coloured panels

Would've liked to have seen red brick carried over or maybe grey coloured panels.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 7:36 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Looks cheap! The Streets around a National Museum deserve better
the biggest thing detracting from the nature museum are the parking lots, and that weird Metcalfe jog. This won't have a noticeable or significant impact.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBuoy View Post
the biggest thing detracting from the nature museum are the parking lots, and that weird Metcalfe jog. This won't have a noticeable or significant impact.
I think it will. Surrounding the museum with cheap looking/poor quality buildings diminishes the what could be a really compelling and dynamic place in the city when it comes to built form. I'm not shocked given Ottawa's penchant for mediocrity in quality architecture and design, but it still sucks.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 8:40 PM

It's not exactly award winning but acting like its dragging down the surroundings is a little dramatic, for better or worse this block of argyle and mcleod will stay one way medium density residential streets off the southern tip of elgin. The best thing for the area would be to bury the parking lot facing elgin and improve the streetscape, not hold out for a level of design on new residential builds we all know there is no money for.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
It looks like they're planning to tear down both of these two buildings and then build a modern lowrise and heritage lowrise buildings with the midrise portion in the back.
I’ve always wondered about the history of those two buildings.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 10:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The proposed development on the lands municipally known as 283 & 285 McLeod Street by Zyer Developments Inc. includes the infill development of an eight-storey mid-rise residential apartment building, transitioning to a three-storey low-rise built form along McLeod Street containing a total of 30 units. The proposal sees the adaptive reuse of an existing three-storey commercial building at 285 McLeod Street as a three-bedroom residential unit, adjoining the mid-rise portion of the development stepped back from McLeod Street. An existing three-storey commercial building at 283 McLeod Street is proposed to be replaced by a contemporary three-storey portion, designed to complement the streetscape along McLeod Street and act as a podium to the proposed mid-rise building.

The residential dwellings are proposed to contain separate accesses for individual uses along McLeod Street, and to a lobby accessing the mid-rise building. Vehicular access to the site will be provided from McLeod Street to a car elevator, accessing one level of underground parking containing a total of 9 residential parking spaces and 2 visitor parking spaces. 21 bicycle parking spaces are provided. The proposed development will contain communal amenity space in addition to private balconies and terraces, including at-grade outdoor spaces, indoor amenity areas, and a communal outdoor terrace at the second storey.

The proposed development consists of spacious units, including one-bedroom plus den, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom units, contributing to a diverse mix and type of units in the Centretown neighbourhood.

Architect: GRC Architects

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0023/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postingaboutottawa View Post
It's not exactly award winning but acting like its dragging down the surroundings is a little dramatic, for better or worse this block of argyle and mcleod will stay one way medium density residential streets off the southern tip of elgin. The best thing for the area would be to bury the parking lot facing elgin and improve the streetscape, not hold out for a level of design on new residential builds we all know there is no money for.
I don't think calling this proposal mediocre is dramatic. I mean, adding density to this area is a positive thing but from an architectural/design standpoint, this proposal is not good. Wanting better design in a space which is home to a significant public asset is not unreasonable. I don't know what this developer has money for, maybe you know something the rest of us aren't privy to, but I've seen great buildings realized without monstrous budgets.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I don't think calling this proposal mediocre is dramatic. I mean, adding density to this area is a positive thing but from an architectural/design standpoint, this proposal is not good. Wanting better design in a space which is home to a significant public asset is not unreasonable. I don't know what this developer has money for, maybe you know something the rest of us aren't privy to, but I've seen great buildings realized without monstrous budgets.
I didn't say calling the building mediocre was dramatic, I said it was a little dramatic to act like a mediocre project will noticeably bring down the surroundings of the museum. Especially considering what is there now.

If this project was at the corner of metcalfe and mcleod and was just the tan cladding with a brick podium I would find it an instant eyesore but this one is pretty inobtrusive all around.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 11:29 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I don't mean to excuse the bad architecture. I feel like it's possible to be critical of the design while also admitting that it won't have that big of an impact. I really really think people won't notice. You're going to have to get quite close to know it's there. Soba is already here. I don't know what the general consensus is on that building but I think it's an eyesore. YMCA? Police HQ? the bar is set very low and I think this is perfectly acceptable, and will fit right into its surroundings.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 12:42 PM

"Adaptive reuse"? Is it though? Looks like they'll demolish and re-build the facade. Maybe what it use to look like? Or a replica of what's on the street now.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:15 PM

Developer floats plan to turn pair of buildings in Centretown heritage zone into apartment complex

OBJ, September 2021

An Ottawa developer’s proposal for a multi-residential complex in Centretown would restore one of the buildings currently occupying the site to its early 20th-century appearance while the newer building next door would be demolished.

Zyer Developments has applied to build an eight-storey apartment building with 30 residential units at 283 and 285 McLeod St., just east of O’Connor Street.

A pair of three-storey commercial buildings currently occupy the P-shaped property in the Centretown Heritage Conservation District.

The developer is proposing to tear down the existing building at 283 McLeod St., which was built between 1925 and 1946. Meanwhile, Zyer says the building at 285 McLeod would be “restored to its original appearance and detailing” from the early 1900s in a style the builder says would “complement” similar historic residential properties at nearby 287 and 289 McLeod St.

The restored building would include a single three-storey residence, with a podium containing a pair of additional residential suites replacing the demolished structure next door. A new eight-storey midrise complex with 27 apartment units would be constructed over the heritage building at 285 McLeod, with the upper floors stepped back from the street.

An underground parking lot would include spaces for 11 vehicles, with two spots reserved for visitors. The plan also calls for indoor and outdoor amenity spaces.

In a planning brief filed with the city, Zyer says the proposal complies with current heritage overlay rules because the building at 283 McLeod St. would be replaced with a structure of similar “scale, massing and floor area.”

The plan will require a zoning amendment because the proposed eight-storey building exceeds current height limits for the property and is taller than the retained heritage building. The developer is also requesting relief from current setback limits.

https://obj.ca/article/real-estate/r...-heritage-zone

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:12 PM

Actually this if fantastic. It's innovative, uses the heritage fabric, infills parking lots, and intensifies the area.

Calling it mediocre because the cladding is beige is dramatic yes. At least its not grey concrete block looking cladding. A welcome shift from the same-old downtown.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:26 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Updated submission (January 2023)

The major revisions from the original August 2021 submission include:
  • The proposed demolition of both of the existing two-and-a-half-storey buildings along McLeod Street, to be replaced by a similar scale, form and massing along this frontage;
  • A reduction in maximum building height from eight-storeys (25 metres) to five-storeys (17.55 metres), continuing to transition down to a two-and-a-half-storey front facade along McLeod;
  • A revision to the accommodate a total of 31 residential dwelling units, with nine (9) proposed as two-bedroom units, 17 as one-bedroom units, and five (5) as studio units, two (2) of which are located below-grade and directly accessible from the courtyard;
  • The removal of a parking elevator to a central ramp out of concern for long-term performance and maintenance cost;
  • A reduction from ten (10) vehicle parking spaces to eight (8) vehicle parking spaces (7 resident and 1 visitor) to accommodate the ramp, below grade units and utilities and building services;
  • An increased setback of the upper (five-storey) portion by approximately 4.5 metres, to create an improved courtyard area while ensuring the low-rise frontage is well incorporated into the existing streetscape context;
  • Increased interior side yard setbacks, exceeding the existing condition and initial submission;
  • Removal of the roof top amenity space to address privacy and noise concerns expressed regarding the initial submission;
  • Maintenance of the ‘domestic’ front entry and porch condition prevalent on McLeod Street by situating the primary apartment entries in a manner which does not conflict with this existing character; and
  • Design enlargement and refinement of the entry courtyard.

Architect: Colizza Bruni Architecture

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0084/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:51 PM

Oh no. Much preferred the original. The lighter colour made it more conspicuous at the back. The new design has the tower looming over the heritage homes and competing for attention (and winning).

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Oh no. Much preferred the original. The lighter colour made it more conspicuous at the back. The new design has the tower looming over the heritage homes and competing for attention (and winning).
As far as I can tell the heritage homes are gone completely with just a massing, to appeal for the nimbys that wasn't there downtown neighborhoods character to be the same as a suburb....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The demolition of David Younghusband's home
He was Ottawa’s apostle of home ownership. Now his longtime residence is set to be demolished to make way for a mid-rise rental apartment.

Randy Boswell, Ottawa Citizen
Published Nov 06, 2023 • Last updated 1 hour ago • 4 minute read

He was Ottawa’s most prolific builder of high-quality homes in the first half of the 20th century, a widely respected designer and seller of such superbly fashioned brick houses that the “Younghusband style” helped define the architectural character of the Glebe and the Civic Hospital neighbourhood — and rewarded generations of homeowners with escalating property values.

Now, the McLeod Street house that served as designer-builder David Younghusband’s home and business headquarters for 40 years — a dream factory for hundreds of Ottawa families from the 1920s to 1960s as the federal public service expanded through depression and war — is set to be demolished to make way for a five-storey, 31-unit apartment building facing the Canadian Museum of Nature.

If the development plan is approved at the city’s built heritage committee meeting on Monday, and later by full council, the south-side façade of the infill structure will give a symbolic nod to the look of Younghusband’s century-old house at 283 McLeod St. and a similar home next door that’s also slated to be knocked down.

City planners — who reversed an earlier assessment that the two houses were indispensable parts of Centretown’s heritage streetscape — are now insisting it’s OK to remove the houses. But the planners also say a plaque must be erected to honour Younghusband for his immense contribution to the capital’s built environment.

On the surface, it will seem strange to demolish the residence Younghusband had built in 1925 for himself and his new wife, Edith, and then replace it with a mid-rise rental apartment plus a small bronze tribute to Ottawa’s apostle of home ownership.

But the planning report explains that “while he lived at 283 McLeod Street for many years, the alterations to the house made after his death compromise the heritage integrity of the property,” adding that “Younghusband’s contribution to housing in Ottawa is best represented in other neighbourhoods rather than at this site.”

With more than 500 Arts and Crafts-style Younghusband homes dotting the leafy streets of Ottawa’s toniest neighbourhoods, including Rockcliffe Park and Old Ottawa South, his architectural legacy is routinely highlighted in neighbourhood walking tours, heritage lectures and online real estate listings.

Younghusband newspaper advertisements that appeared in the pages of the Ottawa Citizen and Ottawa Journal before and after the Second World War showcased the builder’s evangelical mission to promote home ownership. He was relentless in trying to convince young couples to stop paying rent to landlords and invest in their own homes to achieve social status, financial freedom and true happiness.

The ads featured comics-style illustrations and short homilies on the folly of handing hard-earned money to a landlord to rent living quarters rather than purchasing a Younghusband home. “Unless you own your own home, you do not know the real joy of living,” states one ad from May 1945.

Such upbeat messages from a distant time contrast sharply with the realities of today’s home-affordability crisis in Canada. The old ads recall an era when a secure job as a federal civil servant could quickly translate into owning a family home in one of the capital’s most desirable neighbourhoods.

Younghusband was born in March Township in present-day rural west-end Ottawa in 1883, one of 10 children in a prominent local family. He worked as a cheesemaker and a bookkeeper before turning to the construction business and becoming a self-taught architect.

His homes are typically made of red or yellow brushed brick, often arranged to create attractive exterior patterns. There are many variations, but a classic Younghusband home is built with a gently sloping hip roof and four-square design around a central hall, including a solid front door and portico with arches or pillars in the middle of the street-facing side.

A 1925 Citizen story about the Younghusbands’ June wedding noted that the newlyweds had left for a honeymoon in New York and Atlantic City “and upon their return will take up residence at 283 McLeod Street,” freshly built across from what was then called the Victoria Memorial Museum. The address would be featured over the years in hundreds of those distinctive Younghusband newspaper ads.

The couple, who did not have children, would live there for 40 years.

He died in hospital in 1965 at age 83, just a few months after his wife had died at the couple’s home on McLeod.

The house at 283 McLeod — along with the one next door at 285, which was also owned by the couple — were willed to Younghusband’s sister, Ethel, who died in 1971. The couple’s former home later housed an antique store for several years before both buildings were renovated to accommodate commercial offices.

“The properties have been significantly altered, and no longer contribute to the streetscape and heritage conservation district beyond their height, massing, siting and front yard setback,” states a city report.

While the architecture of 283 McLeod has been altered significantly, criteria for heritage conservation can include a property’s historical value and its association with important individuals, activities and ideas. And yet a 46-page heritage impact assessment of 283-285 McLeod prepared for the project by a private consultant never mentions Younghusband or his contributions to Ottawa’s architectural heritage.

But monuments to the builder’s talents can be found nearly everywhere you turn in the heart of the capital.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ghusbands-home

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:54 PM

Looks quite different from the typical Glebe and Civic Hospital home.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa