HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 2:20 PM

NIMBYs are the worst. This may not be perfect but its a nice project that will bring loads of volume movement for the mall, which is better for our city in the longterm. It's also a nice entrance into the city coming from the 416 which is currently non-existent. Would be even nice to see another highrise development closeby to this one so it would create a nice cluster of density beside the mall.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The UDRP presentation has been posted:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0057/details

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:47 AM

Great looking proposal, perfect TOD, appropriate height for the location.....let's build it!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 8:49 PM

UDRP:

100 Bayshore Drive | Formal Review | Site Plan Control Application | KS Bayshore Inc; Hobin Architecture; Kingsett Capital; Lashley + Associates Corporation; WSP

Summary
  • The Panel thanked the proponent for their presentation and for addressing the previous recommendations.
  • The Panel recommended continuing to evolve the mechanical penthouses to integrate them into the towers and to lighten the tower expression, potentially by removing colour and/or simplifying materials.
  • The Panel generally supported the base expression, especially the materiality, but expressed some concerns with its south edge treatment and the openness of the parking garage.
  • The Panel recommended considering more active programming around the base of the building, with less emphasis placed on the functionality of the space and more greening of the site, as well as the reduction of surface parking.

• The Panel expressed concerns with the roof trellises and their legibility from the street. It is felt that the steel trellises make the building appear top-heavy and would be better “tucked in” to reduce their prominence where the building meets the sky.
  • The Panel recommended improving the integration of the mechanical penthouses by strengthening the design.

Middle
  • The Panel noted that the architecture of the tower could have a quieter expression. There was a preference for vertical openings instead of both vertical and square openings.
  • The Panel recommended integrating the pillar articulations to break up the length of the south façade.
  • Concerns were expressed regarding the darkness of materials. It is recommended that the proponent consider lightening the overall tower expression.

Base
  • The Panel noted that there is a greater opportunity to have a more pedestrian-friendly space around the base, especially along Woodridge Crescent. More public programming and retail could be considered by relocating the bike room to the south side of the building.
  • The Panel favours the use of terracotta and Corten steel and suggests that those materials be contained to the base expression.

Parking Garage

• The Panel cautioned that an open-air parking garage creates a strong requirement for direct air ventilation and will be highly visible. It is recommended that a more closed façade be considered for garage screening to reduce the impact of headlights and taillights as cars manoeuvre. Similar treatment should be used all around.
  • There was also a suggestion to consider mechanically venting the parking garage to achieve the objectives mentioned above.

Landscape Public Realm
  • The Panel recommended reducing or eliminating the at-grade parking and introducing more greenery at the plaza to soften its edges. There was a suggestion to introduce more seating areas and areas of respite around the building.
  • The proponents should consider reducing the number of entrances by combining the service entrances and relocating the east tower entrance to expand the tree canopy at the plaza. It was also suggested that at-grade parking be shifted to the west so that cars do not dominate the core area and it remains a plaza.
  • The Panel suggested reducing the use of asphalt on the driveway to ensure the continuity of the sidewalk.
  • There was a suggestion to introduce more public uses, such as a café, at the north-east corner to improve the building’s relationship to the street.
  • The multi-use pathway has been well-integrated, but the Panel noted that there are further opportunities for greenery along the path. The proponent should consider a lush landscape treatment within the site that could bleed across the edge.
  • The Panel noted the open space south of the site should incorporate CPTED principles, including adequate lighting, to ensure the space is safe and welcoming and there are no dark entrances.

Sustainability
  • The sustainability elements are appreciated, but the proponents are encouraged to look beyond building features, for example, by considering terraces, permeable pavers, etc.

https://ottawa.ca/en/planning-develo...ecommendations

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 12:06 PM

Of course the panel wanted a quieter design.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 6:37 PM

Updated in Devapps.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 6:52 PM

Looking at the site plan just now I noticed that the transit connection is through the parking garage...

If you are a resident of this building who wants to go to Bayshore mall, a mall that will be connected by sky bridges, you still have to walk through 2 parking lots...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 7:07 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I always thought it was odd how the skybridge just dumps you into the corner of the parking garage. Granted there is a door to the mall in that corner but given all the work they put into the parking deck and mall recently....

It's like a microcosm of this city as a whole. Half baked

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I always thought it was odd how the skybridge just dumps you into the corner of the parking garage. Granted there is a door to the mall in that corner but given all the work they put into the parking deck and mall recently....

It's like a microcosm of this city as a whole. Half baked
I worked at the Sony Store next to that hallway when they built the new transit bridge and converted that corridor from mall employees only to a transit access hallway. We were really pissed off that they were taking away the unofficial mall staff smoking corridor. Hard to believe everyone used to smoke in the mall back in the early 2000s, sometimes there would be 30-40 Bay staffers in there puffing away.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 9:10 PM

This and the other proposal are definitely very important for Bayshore and ridership around there. I hope these break ground soon. The variation in heights is also great:

40, 38, 30, and 27. Great variations.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 12:37 AM

I hope the glass is as reflective as they show in the renderings!

I feel like developers are taking a deep breath right now. With the delays of Stage2 I bet they are in no hurry to break ground on these projects. Renter/buyer interest will probably depend heavily on a solid operational date for the LRT.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 1:35 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I worked at the Sony Store next to that hallway when they built the new transit bridge and converted that corridor from mall employees only to a transit access hallway. We were really pissed off that they were taking away the unofficial mall staff smoking corridor. Hard to believe everyone used to smoke in the mall back in the early 2000s, sometimes there would be 30-40 Bay staffers in there puffing away.
Different times. I didn't even smoke and I still somehow felt annoyed people couldn't smoke in bars back then. I think I was 18 when they changed that law. Everyone still did it at the beginning, they just didn't leave ashtrays out anymore. Meanwhile I also almost never had an issue getting served lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
This and the other proposal are definitely very important for Bayshore and ridership around there. I hope these break ground soon. The variation in heights is also great:

40, 38, 30, and 27. Great variations.
Agreed. If they built these as shown I would be plenty happy. The two taller towers are also going to be owned/controlled by Acorra. I can tell you that Acorra village is a pretty decent place. I have a friend who lives there and all summer they are doing constant work and landscaping etc. Buildings are super clean and pest controlled. There is an on-site super everyday, 24/7 security. I actually dropped my phone in the parking lot once and within the same day it was returned to security and they answered my emergency query message and returned it to me.

I can't speak for the entire village but the section I was around was very pleasant. Happy to see another pair of towers go up under their management.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 12:48 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Approved on Oct 21, 2022

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 1:01 AM

Wow, actual height of the tallest one from ground to architectural tip, as per the CTBUH guidelines that every forum on Skyscraperpage uses except for Ottawa, is 104 meters. The shorter tower is 95 meters. This is going to be a very impressive gateway. I really hope the taller towers beside it get approved!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 1:59 PM

I wonder if the delays on the Confed Line West will delay any of these projects. With rising interest rates, rising costs & the west extension now not opening until 2025 or 2026, developers might wonder why rush to build these now?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I wonder if the delays on the Confed Line West will delay any of these projects. With rising interest rates, rising costs & the west extension now not opening until 2025 or 2026, developers might wonder why rush to build these now?
I think if they started digging these tomorrow, they would still not be move-in ready until after the Confed line is complete, unless the train encounters additional delays, like to 2027 or later. Gonna take more than 3 years to build these I'd say.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 2:14 PM

Great location, excellent transit link and decent link to Bayshore. Get this built!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Great location, excellent transit link and decent link to Bayshore. Get this built!
*crickets*

I wonder if this is still ongoing. It was proposed back when Ivanhoe Cambridge and Kingsett were 50/50 owners of Bayshore. Who knows if Kingsett will go it alone.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
*crickets*

I wonder if this is still ongoing. It was proposed back when Ivanhoe Cambridge and Kingsett were 50/50 owners of Bayshore. Who knows if Kingsett will go it alone.
Didn't realize Ivanhoe Cambridge sold their share.

Like a lot of other projects, I think this one was shelved due to the interest rates and high labour/material costs. Hopefully the changes made by the Feds will help some of these projects back to the forefront. Let's hope interest rates go down a bit as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 5:24 PM

I agree. What's the hurry, from their point of view: interest rates are high; labour and material costs are high; and the train has been delayed at least a year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa