HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Cleary though there is an opportunity for Vincent Massey Park to use the Tupper Building parking on evenings and weekends. Not really necessary to have those two big parking lots next to eachother.
Vincent Massey is hugely popular for large gatherings involving picnics and barbeques and so on. Few will try to haul their stuff there by bike or bus. Every weekend in summer it is packed and the parking is overflowing.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Vincent Massey is hugely popular for large gatherings involving picnics and barbeques and so on. Few will try to haul their stuff there by bike or bus. Every weekend in summer it is packed and the parking is overflowing.
I'm not saying have no parking, I'm saying they could have everyone park in the Sir Charles Tupper building parking lot right next to the park. Those two parking lots are almost never used at the same time. When the park's parking lot is overflowing is the Sir Charles Tupper building's parking lot also full? I doubt it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 8:28 AM

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 3:37 PM

Thanks for the link to the presentation.

I have not been paying close attention to this but am very pleased with the proposal as it addresses almost all my concerns about that site. Mostly it give me a better understanding of the eyesore that the pavilion is now and why they chose to keep it. Interestingly, my church is another of Strutt's designs and I live in a brutalist building. So further understanding of the heritage of the site is important as my day-to-day life is also part of this architectural period (and I'm glad to see education figures in the redesign.)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:10 PM

Great design. But don't understand why the need to put a MASSIVE parking lot on the other side of the Parkway.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Great design. But don't understand why the need to put a MASSIVE parking lot on the other side of the Parkway.
To make the year-round restaurant viable.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 7:17 PM

I guess I am old fashioned, but gender neutral (ie shared) washrooms ???????? Is this future?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 9:07 PM

^ I saw these earlier this month and I really like the proposal. The only comment I think I made was that an outdoor fireplace integrated into the building would make an awesome gathering spot and destination for the ski trail in the winter.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I guess I am old fashioned, but gender neutral (ie shared) washrooms ???????? Is this future?
I am seeing them more and more in my travels. Locally I can only think of the new Ottawa Art Gallery. I think it's a great idea. Nice to have floor to ceiling stalls without gaps like every civilized country outside of Canada/US. In busy places it makes so much sense. How many times have you seen a line for the Woman's washroom next to an empty Men's washroom?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
This often means lockable single rooms with a toilet and sink in it. Actually rather nice.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 10:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

As opposed to certain places in the world (especially bars and nightclubs) that have unisex bathrooms where you have urinals with men's privates hanging out not too far from where women are washing their hands after exiting cubicles.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:41 PM

The NAC 4th stage has a single, unisex washroom with about 20 stalls and a line of communal sinks.

Many new restaurants go with single stalls including sinks for an all-in-one experience.

If I were a woman, I'd be most concerned about pee spray from the men coating all the surfaces. Although in my experience in the service industry, women have FAR dirtier washrooms than men.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
The NAC 4th stage has a single, unisex washroom with about 20 stalls and a line of communal sinks.

Many new restaurants go with single stalls including sinks for an all-in-one experience.

If I were a woman, I'd be most concerned about pee spray from the men coating all the surfaces. Although in my experience in the service industry, women have FAR dirtier washrooms than men.
I second on the FAR dirtier woman's washrooms after 18 years working evenings in restaurants.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I am seeing them more and more in my travels. Locally I can only think of the new Ottawa Art Gallery. I think it's a great idea. Nice to have floor to ceiling stalls without gaps like every civilized country outside of Canada/US. In busy places it makes so much sense. How many times have you seen a line for the Woman's washroom next to an empty Men's washroom?
Here in Cantley our new community center/gym has a co-ed locker room. There are seperate washrooms however but then in the middle a shared locker room. Lockers are around the walls and then some floor to cieling private changing cubicles and private showers in the middle.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:04 PM

One more rendering of Westboro Beach I don't remember seeing. What's with the escalator looking thing?

https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1350910857946001409

I'm really hoping the NCC and the City promote the O-Train as transportation of choice to get to Westboro Beach. I can imagine hundreds of people a day heading to and from Kitchi Sibi station.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
What's with the escalator looking thing?
I think it's a slide for kids

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
I think it's a slide for kids
That would make sense, but weird if it's the only play structure in that corner of the park.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Jon Willing
@JonathanWilling

Preliminary design of big Westboro Beach pavilion revamp approved by NCC board. Future approval needed before construction begins in April 2022. Still outstanding design questions and, although Mayor Watson tried to get the cost from staff, still no $ figure.

11:04 AM · Jan 21, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...85899908816896

Quote:
National Capital Commission
@NCC_CCN

The Board approved the proposed schematic design to improve park amenities and user experience at #WestboroBeach. The project aims to improve the park amenities, access, traffic flow, shoreline views and habitats, and will be accessible all year long.
Right pointing backhand index https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/westb..._medium=social

11:25 AM · Jan 21, 2021·Hootsuite Inc.
https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1352291128125632515

Quote:
National Capital Commission
@NCC_CCN

The final concept design will be presented to the Board for final approval in the fall. Construction is planned to start in spring 2022.

Learn more about the project: https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/westb...opment-project | #ottawa #WestboroBeach

11:33 AM · Jan 21, 2021·Hootsuite Inc.
https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1352293134189916162

Presentation: https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...302&focal=none

Submission: https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...300&focal=none

Last edited by J.OT13; Jan 21, 2021 at 6:28 PM. Reason: Added a Tweet from the NCC. Added link to docs.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 10:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Westboro Beach Pavilion and Atlantis Yards Parking Lot Redevelopment

The extension of the LRT Confederation West line will involve the use of NCC land. As part of an agreement between the City of Ottawa and the NCC for the use of these lands, the City has allocated $30 million for a Parkland Improvement Fund within the Ottawa River South Shore Riverfront Park. Some of those funds have been budgeted for the redevelopment of Westboro Beach including construction of the beach pavilion facility, as well as the redevelopment of the Atlantis Yards.

The NCC’s proposal will revitalize Westboro Beach and make better use of the Atlantis Yards site. A new expanded 835 square meter beach pavilion will be constructed which will incorporate the existing structures into the design. Most of the parking will be moved from the west side of the Parkway to a new parking area at the Atlantis Yards site on the east side of the Parkway. The former parking area will be reprogrammed with new park elements including enhanced landscaping, garden features, a volleyball court, and playground.

The proposed development plans will require a Zoning-By-law Amendment that seeks to add the following complementary uses in the parent O1L - Parks and Open Space Zone, Subzone L on the subject lands as site-specific exceptions:
• Restaurant
• Restaurant -fast food
• Restaurant- full service
• Restaurant- take out
• Outdoor Commercial Patio
• Bar
• Place of assembly (for weddings, or conferences)
• Farmer/Artist Market
• Environmental preserve and education area
• Training centre
• Community centre
• Recreational and athletic facility
• Parking lot

The redevelopment will proceed in two phases. The first phase of the project is expected to begin in 2021, with the construction of the new parking lot on the Atlantis Yards lands. This new parking lot is intended to provide parking for Westboro Beach with access from the existing underpass as well as a new signalized intersection which will be completed later.

The second phase of the redevelopment is anticipated to begin in 2022. This phase will involve the construction of the new expanded beach pavilion as well as extensive landscape and park improvements to the lands surrounding the beach pavilion.

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0059/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 9:13 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Construction to close Westboro Beach for the season

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Mar 18, 2022 • 39 minutes ago • 1 minute read

Construction will make Westboro Beach a no-go zone for summer 2022.

The work is being done by the National Capital Commission and will modernize the beach’s distinctive pavilion to make the washroom accessible and add a new parking lot south of the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway. The NCC is also improving lifeguard facilities, landscaping and the multi-use pathways.

Work is to begin this spring.

“Due to the significant staging area required by the contractor and safety considerations, Westboro Beach will be closed for the 2022 season,” the city’s general manager of Parks and Recreation, Dan Chenier, said in a memo to council Friday afternoon.

“Recognizing the importance of beach access for residents, we have explored the possibilities of maintaining beach operations, but unfortunately this cannot be accommodated during construction.”

The city will have signs to help travellers detour around the site.

The city supports the NCC’s plans and the work “will benefit our communities for years to come,” Chenier said in his memo.

While the city operates programming at Westboro Beach, it is the NCC that owns the property. Westboro is one of four public beaches in the city. Britannia, Mooney’s Bay and Petrie Island beaches will remain open this summer.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...for-the-season

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues