HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Whoah, strong opinions mate.

I love this idea, idiotic or not. Much more value for most of the population of Ontario to get extra evening daylight year round. Standard time year round would waste daylight most of the year during hours in which few are awake.
200% Agree

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Whoah, strong opinions mate.

I love this idea, idiotic or not. Much more value for most of the population of Ontario to get extra evening daylight year round. Standard time year round would waste daylight most of the year during hours in which few are awake.
Millions of people are awake at 8:00 a.m. all year round.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Millions of people are awake at 8:00 a.m. all year round.
The last thing I want when I wake up early is the sun glaring in my eyes. I need to ease into the light.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
8:40 in Ottawa, 9:00 in Windsor.

I think for Ottawa it is okay, it gets worse going West though. In Ottawa people who work a “standard” 9 to 5 day would get light for both before and after work.
It might be justified to put Northern Ontario on a half hour time zone between Eastern and Central if we go through with this. Or at least study the option.

Ottawa is almost perfectly aligned to our timezone; the meridian that is exactly 5 hours behind the Prime Meridian passes through Plantagenet, just a few dozen kilometres east of the city.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
8:40 in Ottawa, 9:00 in Windsor.

I think for Ottawa it is okay, it gets worse going West though. In Ottawa people who work a “standard” 9 to 5 day would get light for both before and after work.
Anecdotally, it seems that Ottawans tend to work a little earlier than the typical 9-5. Here, it seems 8-4 or even 7-3 are common.

Regardless, pushing an hour forward in winter makes sense. Moving sunrise an hour later to 8:40am isn't too big of a deal, but having that extra hour of daylight in the afternoon would be amazing. It's so depressing at this time of year when the sky is starting to darken and it isn't even 4:00pm yet.

However, if we did adopt permanent DST, we should probably move the school day later. The "traditional" school day is 9am-3pm (approximately) but in recent years, at least in Ontario, there's been a trend of moving school days earlier, to 8am-2pm. That trend should be reversed, IMO, and switched back to 9-3, if we adopt permanent DST, so kids can have some daylight on their way to school.

Last edited by CityTech; Nov 29, 2020 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
It sounds radical but I do like the idea of abandoning time zones altogether, having the entire world use UTC, and just have local working hours in each city.

If we did that here, we'd be on UTC, and our local working hours would be 14:00 to 22:00 instead of 9:00am to 5:00pm.

China actually does this. The entire country is on one time zone that's based on the solar time in Beijing. So in western China, the timezones are very off; in Kashgar, for example, sunrise today is at 10am and sunset is at 8pm. As a result, it's common for people in Western China to have modified local working hours; businesses in Urumqi, for example, typically work 11am to 7pm instead 9-5.

In Spain, they sort of do this; despite being geographically in the UTC time zone, they adopt UTC+1 as their standard time (and UTC+2 as their daylight time), resulting in sunrise and sunset both falling a lot later than typical, but this works well, as it adapts to the Spanish custom of doing things later in the day (ie. the Spanish often eat dinner at like 10pm).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
It might be justified to put Northern Ontario on a half hour time zone between Eastern and Central if we go through with this. Or at least study the option.

Ottawa is almost perfectly aligned to our timezone; the meridian that is exactly 5 hours behind the Prime Meridian passes through Plantagenet, just a few dozen kilometres east of the city.
Northern Ontario west of about the Sault should be in the Central Time Zone. Thunder Bay is west of Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 1:28 PM

like j.ot13 I have always thought splitting the difference to be the most logical solution (assuming others followed suit). Barring that, permanent Daylight Savings would be my choice.

I went out to BBQ yesterday at 5:15 and it was pitch black. Ridiculous.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 2:19 PM

Love being in the far-west of the time zone in the summer. Give me 10:00pm sunsets 100%

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:28 PM

This is totally moronic and would result in Windsor and Detroit being on a different time for half the year. They recognized the importance of including Quebec and New York but they ignored Michigan (because they know Michigan would never agree to such a thing since sunrise times in West Michigan would be well past 9:00 in winter).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 6:53 PM

There is always going to be some community on a time zone boundary.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 10:29 PM

No there isn't...you never see decent sized cities on a time zone boundary. Look at the current time zone boundaries...they purposely stay far away from metropolitan areas. For example, Northwest Indiana is in a different time zone than the rest of the state because of its proximity to Chicago.

It is ludicrous to have two cities with a linked economy be on different times for half the year.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Love being in the far-west of the time zone in the summer. Give me 10:00pm sunsets 100%
I’d say we’re in the center-ish of the EST zone. I grew up in place that was way more west on its time zone and sunset was about 1h later in the summer. I loved it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
However, if we did adopt permanent DST, we should probably move the school day later. The "traditional" school day is 9am-3pm (approximately) but in recent years, at least in Ontario, there's been a trend of moving school days earlier, to 8am-2pm. That trend should be reversed, IMO, and switched back to 9-3, if we adopt permanent DST, so kids can have some daylight on their way to school.
Good point, although the main reason for this is to allow school buses to do 2 school runs, say 8AM and 9AM.
They could be pushed out 30 minutes and schools would start anytime between 8:30 and 9:30 and finish 3:30 - 4:30. Personally I would hate the 4:30 end to school

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion