HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 3:43 AM
National Capital Region

Orléans: new development

Went on a little journey to Orleans and took a few photos....

Starting with a new suburban area...

some singles...

terminal vista?

Suburban streets

Backyard fences

This is Lakeridge Square, winner of an Award of Merit - Public Places and Civic Spaces for Ottawa's 2007 Urban Design Awards

Video Link

Now to the heart of Orleans... the brand new Shenkman Arts Centre

putting on the finishing touches

Centrum Boulevard... some apartments in the distance.

There are storefronts along Centrum... but they all close that entrance and instead face the parking lot on the other side of the building

There is a public square in Orleans Town Centre.. it's empty here but when I drove in there were a bunch of people there

Orleans Client Service Centre.. formerly Cumberland Town Hall

it offers a couple of interesting corridors

and a decent view

Place D'Orleans (dirty windshield, time to go to CTC)

Innes Road big box

More to come?

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jun 14, 2009 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 4:49 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Nice shots man.

Looks like you went to Avalon, the latest (and furthest) suburban development in Orleans.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 5:57 AM

thanks I really appreciate all the pics. I lived in orleans for 20 years and I dont get back there anymore so its interesting seeing all your pictures.

Centrum seems like a missed opportunity but the arts centre is a step in the right direction.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 2:59 PM

Orleans Centrum will never succeed as a popular local destination as long as there is a regional shopping centre directly to the west and tons of big-box retail to the south. These two areas pull prospective users away from the Centrum site.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Orleans Centrum will never succeed as a popular local destination as long as there is a regional shopping centre directly to the west and tons of big-box retail to the south. These two areas pull prospective users away from the Centrum site.
Personally, I think Place d'Orleans has a lot of potential - it would be best if the roof was removed and converted into a lifestyle centre with expansion directly to Centrum (basically connecting the two, albeit with a road in between). The SE corner parking lot and the approach to the transit station should be redeveloped for an expansion directly to the Centrum/Place d'Orleans Drive intersection. I wonder if the owners of Place d'Orleans want to consider that?

The residential portion could be extended out to Tenth Line Road, possibly hooking up to a new transit station there (even though there isn't really much opportunity for a Park and Ride, it isn't exactly necessary with Trim nearby).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 2:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Yippers. The cinemas shown in one photo are going to close down as their owners, Empire Cinemas, are intend to open a new multiplex on Innes Road (surprise, surprise). So one step forward with the beautiful new arts centre, and one step back with the loss of the cinemas (a significant traffic generator for any town centre).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 11:58 PM

Updating on Centrum: I note that Mayfair Theatre has taken over the old Empire/Cineplex slot at Orléans Town Centre. Went for my second viewing of Avengers there a week or two ago. Also, the old East Side Mario's location is now occupied by a sushi/steak/seafood place, and there's a new bakery(?) moving in as well. And the Celestia Building's sold 80% of its condo units, right?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:32 AM

I lived in Orleans for 27 years. My parents had a house built by Germain Lemay on Champlain street but we moved a few more times; always on the North Side of the highway. You'd have to give me a house to get me to move into the Innes area. The houses all look the same, i drove a friend home and he told me to drop him off at a path otherwise i'd never find my way out haha. I suppose people just can't get enough of this suburban model.

What would be nice is some pics from Orleans in the 80s, I'm not old enough to remember what it looked like although I did learn to ride my bike on the then-decomissioned part of the highway in front of Place. It was as good a place as any to grow up.

Last edited by Postmaster; Aug 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 2:10 PM

No photos, but the Orleans that I remember from visiting rellies (around Fallingbrook) was big houses on swirly-curly streets that my parents often got lost on (something like 6 turns from then Hwy-17, to drive several kilometres, but cover no more than 600m as the crow flies, but then, which 6 turns...?!? domestic disturbance ensues in the front seats).

I remember that there were almost no trees in that area except around the "falling brook" itself, and it was kinda like the downtown heat island effect: the summer temperatures were always a couple of degrees warmer than at home in relatively-leafy Alta Vista (luckily it seemed like everyone had backyard pools and thriving berry patches to raid).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 1:42 AM

For those of you interested, there's a Flickr group devoted to the neighbourhood:

https://secure.flickr.com/groups/2068482@N21/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos