HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerumer View Post
I agree with Zerton, cantilevers can be lovely when done right, perhaps it's just the renderings on this (they always tend to exaggerate) but this one has the childishness of "look Ma, no hands!" rather than form follows function. It appears unstable and if the official renderings are correct, mars the view of the area imho. That said, the details are gorgeous and it doesn't need a post-trendy, played-out "off kilter boxes" aesthetic to be stunning. There's a difference between clever and arrogant, I certainly wouldn't be upset
if it's built, more disappointed at the missed opportunity.

I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I want to see a building that appears unstable is at an amusement park or World's Expo.

Nonsense. The angle that shows the stepped back profile is distorted a little. If it’s a littke “arrogant’ to get us a distinctive design, especially in an area that could use one, then so be it. If it were just another tall, glass blue box, people would be bitchin about that. But save your worry until the tower is actually selected to be built.

For me, I have no problem with it at all. Didnt have a problem with BIG’s version at 2 WTC, and no problem here. It’s people with your thinking that worry the Steinway tower is going to tip over.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:45 AM

Let's wait until a developer is picked, but overall I'm quite fine with this tower as envisioned. I think as people get used to it, should it become the development picked, they'll really start appreciating that it has some similarities, pays some homages while essentially forming its own character. And its textural brilliance is top notch... details and everything. Until we know more about the ultimate choice, that's all I will say about this one for now. But it really could be an iconic site in the skyline of the new midtown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:48 AM

Yeah how about we all wait until a design is actually for sure chosen before we get into way too heated arguments about it?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:57 AM
Sydney

It's crazy to imagine that 30HY and One Vanderbilt will both be dethroned in their immediate neighbourhood less than a decade after their completion. They both felt huge for their time (at least to me); New York is gaining skyscrapers at a breakneck pace!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
It's crazy to imagine that 30HY and One Vanderbilt will both be dethroned in their immediate neighborhood less than a decade after their completion. They both felt huge for their time (at least to me); New York is gaining skyscrapers at a breakneck pace!
Yeah and knowing how tall they are it's crazy to think that they're going to be dwarfed by those two.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 4:39 AM

Hhaaahahahhaaahaa I love it

I love it

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
It's crazy to imagine that 30HY and One Vanderbilt will both be dethroned in their immediate neighbourhood less than a decade after their completion.
Yep, I bet 1 Vandy regrets having shaved off 100+ ft! Let this be a lesson for future NYC developers: always shoot for the greatest height possible!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 12:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Yep, I bet 1 Vandy regrets having shaved off 100+ ft! Let this be a lesson for future NYC developers: always shoot for the greatest height possible!
In a recent FT article, SL Green’s CEO, Marc Halliday, said that he wished he had another twenty floors to lease at 1 Vandy. 175 Park is going to be an unparalleled, iconic champion.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
In a recent FT article, SL Green’s CEO, Marc Halliday, said that he wished he had another twenty floors to lease at 1 Vandy. 175 Park is going to be an unparalleled, iconic champion.
Yeah sometimes they have to think in the long term. That's why sometimes when you have a developer with an ego, it can be nice. Yeah it may be risky at times but if the risk pays off, we'll end up with a tower that is truly iconic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerumer View Post
I agree with Zerton, cantilevers can be lovely when done right, perhaps it's just the renderings on this (they always tend to exaggerate) but this one has the childishness of "look Ma, no hands!" rather than form follows function. It appears unstable and if the official renderings are correct, mars the view of the area imho. That said, the details are gorgeous and it doesn't need a post-trendy, played-out "off kilter boxes" aesthetic to be stunning. There's a difference between clever and arrogant, I certainly wouldn't be upset
if it's built, more disappointed at the missed opportunity.

I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I want to see a building that appears unstable is at an amusement park or World's Expo.
Besides the specifics of the site layout with MTA, I’m also surprised no one has brought up that the highest floors are the most desirable and profitable. Makes sense to maximize them. You’d think more towers in the future would take this approach when allowed

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 8:32 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

CPT should also been regretted for losing its cool pinnacle. And One57 losing near-400 feet too.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 9:19 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
CPT should also been regretted for losing its cool pinnacle. And One57 losing near-400 feet too.
I had no idea One57 was going to be so tall initially, what was the original height exactly?

I hope this proposal is more than a pipe dream though, Hudson Yards needs a signature tower of this caliber.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I had no idea One57 was going to be so tall initially, what was the original height exactly?

I hope this proposal is more than a pipe dream though, Hudson Yards needs a signature tower of this caliber.
According to this website, cited in Wiki, "Initially, One57 was to rise more than 1,400 feet, but due to the recession and failure to acquire an adjacent lot, its height was scaled back."

https://www.6sqft.com/so-you-think-y...g-about-one57/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 11:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

One57 is the godfather that started it all. It was like the singularity in the big bang that led to the big boom of super talls. And like the expansion that resulted, they are still growing!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:55 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
Can you explain how this specific cantilever blocks sun into the west facade? I don’t understand how you’ve come up to that conclusion.
Any overhang is going to cast a shadow, especially on south, west, or east facade in the northern hemisphere where the sun gets high in the sky in the summer. These cantilevers look to be about 10-20+ feet. That's going to cast a shadow on the facade below in the afternoon especially in the summer.

I see why the building cants now, looking at the previous pages here with the plans showing the train tracks, MTA ventilation, etc. crossing the site that the building has to negotiate. Although the previous tower design figured out how to span the site.

I just don't like the top heavy massing especially when it has this much impact on the skyline. IMO, it's just not graceful. There are functional reasons why I don't like this type of design but I think ultimately I don't like this massing aesthetically.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:59 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Yeah how about we all wait until a design is actually for sure chosen before we get into way too heated arguments about it?
I think we can disagree and discuss without getting heated. I hope my tone never comes across as rude and I don't read people who disagree with me or others as rude. That's the whole point of the site! To talk about these projects.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:31 PM

Does anyone else absolutely hate this tower? I think it is painfully ugly and it will really take away from the beauty of 30HY and the rest of Hudson Yards.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:09 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Does anyone else absolutely hate this tower? I think it is painfully ugly and it will really take away from the beauty of 30HY and the rest of Hudson Yards.
I don't like the cantilevered angle so much but other than that it's cool. I could see how someone wouldn't like it though.

As stated, I don't think this is a likely proposal anyway, but rather just a concept. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Any overhang is going to cast a shadow, especially on south, west, or east facade in the northern hemisphere where the sun gets high in the sky in the summer. These cantilevers look to be about 10-20+ feet. That's going to cast a shadow on the facade below in the afternoon especially in the summer.

I see why the building cants now, looking at the previous pages here with the plans showing the train tracks, MTA ventilation, etc. crossing the site that the building has to negotiate. Although the previous tower design figured out how to span the site.

I just don't like the top heavy massing especially when it has this much impact on the skyline. IMO, it's just not graceful. There are functional reasons why I don't like this type of design but I think ultimately I don't like this massing aesthetically.
Without getting into a back and forth, I think we can both agree that an overhang will cause some shadowing. Your specific statement was that the cantilever will block light into lower floors however I think you’re forgetting that the building going up directly south of this proposal will cause more shadow that any of the cantilevers in this design, since most of the day time sun will come from the south. During the latter portion of the day once the sun clears the buildings to the south, the shadow will be minimal due to the lower angle of sunlight as well as the lack of height of the Javits center. So that’s where my question came from.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I don't like the cantilevered angle so much but other than that it's cool. I could see how someone wouldn't like it though.

As stated, I don't think this is a likely proposal anyway, but rather just a concept. Correct me if I'm wrong...
At first I didn’t know if I liked it but the more I look at all the little details I’m loving it. This is one of many proposals but I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s only a concept.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals