HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:12 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
On a positive note, for the Jets, with one less defenceman on the market the price to trade for Trouba increased a little.
The price for Trouba ended up being Pionk and the Jets' own first rounder back.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:08 AM

Fleeced

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The price for Trouba ended up being Pionk and the Jets' own first rounder back.
I guess it's not surprising that this trade has triggered some serious fan outrage.

I'm no GM, but the thing I don't get here is why the Jets didn't hang on to Trouba until the trade deadline when you know someone would have given up at least a little more than what they ended up getting.

But that said, what could Cheveldayoff do? Trouba's contract was ending and he didn't want to be in Winnipeg pretty much from the outset (for reasons that have never really been made clear), so he was going to go for a song no matter what.

Unless Chevy pulls a rabbit out of a hat quickly, the Jets defence is shaping up to be a major liability heading into next season. Byfuglien isn't getting any younger either...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:50 PM
the first stamp is free

Trouba got traded for rental value.

It's too bad, but this is because he and his agent (reportedly) refused to discuss contract extension talk with any of the teams interested in him.

So the Jets had three options:

1) trade him for rental value
2) keep him for 2/3's of the season and trade him for a similar package at the trade deadline (hope he doesn't get injured or play like shit)
3) use him like a rental for the entire season and have him walk when he hits UFA.

It's fairly obvious he wants to hit UFA and have his pick in where he goes (to a team in Florida). It's possible he signs an extension with NYR, but he wasn't going to be signing anywhere in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:26 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Trouba got traded for rental value.

It's too bad, but this is because he and his agent (reportedly) refused to discuss contract extension talk with any of the teams interested in him.

So the Jets had three options:

1) trade him for rental value
2) keep him for 2/3's of the season and trade him for a similar package at the trade deadline (hope he doesn't get injured or play like shit)
3) use him like a rental for the entire season and have him walk when he hits UFA.

It's fairly obvious he wants to hit UFA and have his pick in where he goes (to a team in Florida). It's possible he signs an extension with NYR, but he wasn't going to be signing anywhere in Canada.
Basically my thoughts too. People are losing it going it's a terrible trade. Yeah, it is a terrible trade, but you know what's worse? Letting him walk for nothing.

His agent is a prick of unequalled proportions if he did indeed refuse to sign in any trade destinations and prevent the Jets from getting market.

Given the circumstances, I say good riddance, at least in terms of Kurt Overhardt. Man I hate that guy.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Basically my thoughts too. People are losing it going it's a terrible trade. Yeah, it is a terrible trade, but you know what's worse? Letting him walk for nothing.

His agent is a prick of unequalled proportions if he did indeed refuse to sign in any trade destinations and prevent the Jets from getting market.

Given the circumstances, I say good riddance, at least in terms of Kurt Overhardt. Man I hate that guy.
How is option B on drew's list not the best choice? You get the benefit of Trouba for most of the season and then sell at a time when someone might be desperate enough to give up a little more than Pionk and a 20th pick.

But on the other hand, it is a somewhat complicated situation... the Jets reportedly refused to let other teams talk to Trouba to get a sense of his long term intentions which apparently reduced his value, and I'm not sure if cap issues played into it as well.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:47 PM
Near Generational

Not really sure what the Jets were meant to do, they found themselves in a pretty bad situation. Trouba didn't want to be there.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:30 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How is option B on drew's list not the best choice? You get the benefit of Trouba for most of the season and then sell at a time when someone might be desperate enough to give up a little more than Pionk and a 20th pick.

But on the other hand, it is a somewhat complicated situation... the Jets reportedly refused to let other teams talk to Trouba to get a sense of his long term intentions which apparently reduced his value, and I'm not sure if cap issues played into it as well.
The gamble is that Trouba gets hurt, or plays down his value.

If he gets hurt, you lose him for potentially zero compensation.

The other thing here is continuing to have a guy on the team that doesn't want to be there, and how that impacts the other players.

Also, I don't think it was the Jets that refused to let Trouba talk to other teams. Other teams know (or should know) where Trouba was willing to go, and who he was willing to sign extensions with. That severely limits the return on him. Plus his agent is a monumental asshat.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:41 PM

I'm guessing the Jets don't see next year as part of their window, because losing their top D for scraps is going to hurt a team that already didn't look as good as they should have last year.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:11 PM
the first stamp is free

^ It's gonna hurt for sure, but the Leafs demonstrated last year that you only need one top pairing defensemen out of 6 to be somewhat successful.

The Jets still have Morrissey and Buff under contract, so all hope is not lost.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:58 PM

The Jets should be able to land a good free agent D man, they will be fine.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 7:46 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I'm guessing the Jets don't see next year as part of their window, because losing their top D for scraps is going to hurt a team that already didn't look as good as they should have last year.
He’s not really all that great. He has his moments but he’s not a guy with a high hockey IQ.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The Jets should be able to land a good free agent D man, they will be fine.
Who? The D market right now is Tyler Myers and Gardiner.

Maybe Stralman too but he's already showing serious signs of decline.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:13 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

The Jets need to sign their forwards. They can and will go with more of a no-name defence, given that they have no cap space. Trouba wasn’t much defensively, anyway.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:

A contending team cannot trade their #1D weeks before the playoffs.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 10:53 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
If Trouba had ever been the Jets’ #1 D they wouldn’t have been in contention.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:12 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Morrissey and Buff are both ahead of Trouba.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

The UFA market is a bit thin right now, maybe they can work something into a trade. I think it was TSN that was saying Winnipeg should make a move for Hamilton. Anyway, the point is there are lots of options, and the Jets are a good team right now, so they should be able to make something happen.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:23 PM
Near Generational

That Hayes contract is mind-blowingly bad.

WTF is Philly thinking?!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Apparently it was Trouba's agent Kurt Overhardt that told the Jets that Trouba would only sign an extension in a couple of cities (NYR was the main one). Otherwise he would just sit out if traded somewhere else.

The Jets really had no move - glad to be rid of Overhardt.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada