HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 5:01 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Memo to the Design Commission for DAR #2. No drawings online yet.
Looks like they want to go with the N-S orientation for the tower.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:08 PM

Presentation [PDF - 49MB] from yesterday's DAR.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 2:02 PM

Future build-out possibility is pretty impressive. This project is not bad design wise, just alittle too much of the same. Need some variety in the shape and form of these towers. Everything seems to be a wide rectangle type massing. More point towers please, atleast for residential purposes.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 4:52 AM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 5:12 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

My enthusiasm for this cannot be understated. Please, please, please... build it, build it, build it. And while I'm dreaming... Please, let them use as much glass as possible in the tower, and use as much brick and stone as possible in the two shorter buildings. And build, build, BUILD. This would be such a wonderful change for a dead section of Goose Hollow.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 8:04 PM

The Press Blocks at 817 SW 17th Ave have been submitted for Type III Design Review by GBD Architects:

Quote:
Proposal is to develop one full and one-half block for residential tower and office plus retail. 447 below grade parking space and 577 bike parking spaces.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Nov 23, 2016 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 4:45 AM

Request for Response. For such a large project they sure got through their completeness check quickly.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Developers close $20M 'Press Blocks' deal, look to begin demo by year's end

The plan to raze the buildings that once housed the printing operations for the Oregonian and replace them with a three-building, mixed-use development in Goose Hollow have taken another step forward.

Developers said they've closed $20 million deal for the site.

In a release today, Urban Renaissance Group and Security Properties announced that they have purchased the one-and-a-half-block site at 817 S.W. 17th Ave. from the Oregonian's parent company, Advance Publications, for $20 million. Known now as the "Press Blocks," the site is set to be home to an eight-story, 150,000-square-foot office building, a 250-foot-tall apartment building with 337 units and a four-story pavilion building with creative office, ground-floor retail and live-work spaces.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 1:07 AM
A before E

I am really excited for this project, it will be nice to see those waste of space Oregonian buildings gone. I have always felt like they were a major factor in that area feeling like a dead zone for so long.

With all the development going on in this area, I wonder what the new neighborhood name will be. Obviously the area already has a name, but I am sure some real estate agent will come up with something ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
With all the development going on in this area, I wonder what the new neighborhood name will be. Obviously the area already has a name, but I am sure some real estate agent will come up with something ridiculous.
"The Stadium Blocks"

or

LoWeBu AKA Lower West Burnside

That'll be $20,000 for my consulting fee.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 4:58 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Goodbye, Oregonian bunkers!!! Helloooooooo HOUSING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Isn't it already Goose Hollow? I've known people who lived on SW 14th. Ask 'em where they live, they say Goose Hollow.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Goodbye, Oregonian bunkers!!! Helloooooooo HOUSING!!!

Isn't it already Goose Hollow? I've known people who lived on SW 14th. Ask 'em where they live, they say Goose Hollow.
It's in the Goose Hollow neighborhood, but I've read that the area between I-405 and the hill was originally called Lownsdale. The hill is King's Hill. Goose Hollow is the area around the Goose Hollow MAX station.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
It's in the Goose Hollow neighborhood, but I've read that the area between I-405 and the hill was originally called Lownsdale. The hill is King's Hill. Goose Hollow is the area around the Goose Hollow MAX station.
Daniel Lownsdale, one of the more important people in Portland's early history did indeed have his tannery in that area, where the Stadium and MAC are now.. There is already a Lownsdale Apartments on 15th and Taylor BTW.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 9:25 PM

Goose Hollow subdistrict map

Here's the map of the historic areas of the greater Goose Hollow neighborhood (from the neighborhood website):

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 6:28 PM

Cool, I've never heard of "Gander Ridge." Also, I do believe Urbanlife's post was a facetious commentary on developers' tendency to want to create imaginary new "districts" around their large projects for branding purposes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 7:39 PM

Developers already starting to rebrand as the "Stadium District." I'm sure there are many more of these efforts throughout the city. Would be interesting to catalog them.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 2:17 AM

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 8:15 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post

They really should orient these wide buildings to a south solar orientation. Brutal east/west sun creates major cooling issues.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 12:35 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
They really should orient these wide buildings to a south solar orientation. Brutal east/west sun creates major cooling issues.
I believe the tallest building is proposed to have a north - south orientation specifically to NOT cast depressing shadows.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 8:01 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland