HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:23 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
I don't usually worry too much about height, but 85-160 feet is pretty underwhelming.
I agree. This would be a fantastic site to go TALL. There's an entire block to work with, plus another half block, and it's sitting on a MAX line. This is such an amazing location. Actually, it's a terrible location that's about to become amazing. It's such a shame they're not thinking big.

...I say it's a "terrible location" because it's been a dead zone for decades thanks to The O. Turning these lots into housing will be amazing for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 11:36 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF]. Doesn't give much away.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 12:20 AM
Closed account

I agree it's a fantastic location. If they don't use the full height limit here will be beyond me to imagine why not.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigzagMan View Post
It's Portland they call it stump town for a reason
"Stump town" originated during Portland's earliest days and had nothing to do with building height. The settlers cut down trees to lay out streets but they sometimes left the tree stumps in place, which were painted white so they could be seen at night. That's the origin of the "stump town" nickname.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 11:23 PM

The rumors I've heard are that the developer is planning on doing a podium style building (wood over PT) on the full block and are hoping to do a 'tower' on the smaller block. I think the podium is a definite go, but the 'tower' isn't a sure thing.

Note: 'tower' was the words someone else said, not mine, I can't recall any specifics, but I don't think it was more than 10-15 stories at the most, which is probably in the height range mentioned.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
The rumors I've heard are that the developer is planning on doing a podium style building (wood over PT) on the full block and are hoping to do a 'tower' on the smaller block. I think the podium is a definite go, but the 'tower' isn't a sure thing.

Note: 'tower' was the words someone else said, not mine, I can't recall any specifics, but I don't think it was more than 10-15 stories at the most, which is probably in the height range mentioned.
I studied it for one of the 15-20 or so suitors that made offers on the land. One was just this format, with a 5/1 on the full block and a smallish (maybe 15 stories) 'tower' on the half block.

The 5 over 1 option on the full block leaves a bunch of FAR on the table, and at close to 20 million dollars for the land (1.5 blocks) plus demolition cost its a bit surprising they are not thinking taller on the big block, as you can go to 300 feet there with housing bonus.

But current construction cost would be pretty high, so you'd have to do a Cosmopolitan... or a baby Park Avenue West, which the neighborhood is probably not ready for, economically.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 7:16 PM

GBD Architects have requested Design Advice for the redevelopment of the Oregonian publishing buildings at 817 SW 17th Ave:

Quote:
Demolition of two Oregonian publishing buildings with new construction on both parcels.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Big plans for Oregonian Publishing blocks

Urban Renaissance Group plans to build on the Oregonian Publishing blocks in Goose Hollow what could be one of Portland’s tallest towers.

The developer envisions more than 500,000 gross square feet of real estate on 1.5 blocks near Providence Park, according to documents submitted to the Portland Bureau of Development Services. Existing former printing plants would be demolished. One new building would occupy a full block and a second would occupy a half-block.

The documents lay out three different possible heights for the full-block residential tower at 1621 S.W. Taylor St., ranging from 245 feet in 21 stories to 325 feet in 29 stories. The tower would encompass approximately 386,000 gross square feet.

A 325-foot residential tower would be among Portland’s 15 tallest buildings, and the tallest west of Interstate 405.

GBD Architects, in its submittal, said the development remains in an early stage, and the project could change.

For the half-block office project at 817 S.W. 17th Ave., Urban Renaissance Group envisions a building 115 feet in eight stories, plus a roof deck. The office building would have approximately 153,000 gross square feet.

Overall, buildings on the two parcels would have a floor-to-area ratio of nine to one.

Security Properties of Seattle is listed as a co-developer with Urban Renaissance Group. The architects are Mithun, also of Seattle, for the full-block parcel and Portland’s GBD Architects for the half-block parcel. Mithun is also providing landscape architecture services.

...continues at the DJC ($).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:52 PM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:22 AM

So happy to see this redevelopment finally approaching, these blocks are such prime real estate in a great urban neighborhood. The dead space has really held Goose Hollow back for a long time.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:47 AM

Fantastic! ya know, so far

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 8:19 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
"The documents lay out three different possible heights for the full-block residential tower at 1621 S.W. Taylor St., ranging from 245 feet in 21 stories to 325 feet in 29 stories. The tower would encompass approximately 386,000 gross square feet."

...continues at the DJC ($).
Great to see Goose Hollow building up. Minimum 21 stories (possibly 29) is perfectly appropriate next to a MAX station. But I'm sure there's gonna be some push back from the Kings Hill NIMBY Association.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 2:50 AM

"It blocks our view of Union Station..."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 4:31 PM

The Notice says:
Compact stalls-151
Standard Stalls-330
What dimensions is a compact stall in the city of Portland?
I thought our standard stalls were compact?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 3:11 AM

By coincidence I had to look this up today. Portland Zoning Code requires a stall size of 9'-0" by 18'-0". I believe that this can be reduced as a modification through Design Review.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:18 PM

You must be looking at residential driveway spaces for houses and duplexes.
Table 266-4 says spaces in "Parking Areas" are 8'-6" x 16'-0", unless you angle them. Nothing about compact spaces in the zoning code as far as I can see:
http://www.portlandonline.com/bps/ti...lete_print.pdf

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:36 PM

Yes, so it does. But still, I'm pretty sure that a modification can be requested to reduce the size (generally modifications are only prohibited if the code explicitly states so). Google suggests that a compact stall can be as narrow as 7'-6".

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jun 21, 2016 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:55 PM

Project is now on the Design Commission agenda for August 4th. Also, here is the application [PDF - 33 MB] for the Design Advice (has some very preliminary drawings).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 5:26 AM

I like the idea. It steps down the stadium area a bit, but we get a bonafide tall building backing it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:24 AM

Memo to the Design Commission. No drawings yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland