HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:22 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Apex has a brochure with more renderings

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 2:45 PM

It's a nice project if you ignore all the surface parking lots

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 4:32 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
It's a nice project if you ignore all the surface parking lots
I am not too concerned about the surface parking in this area because of the freeway running through that area. I personally like the CLT these will be built out of, but it would have been nice to see these be a bit taller, 8-12 stories so that they stick out over the freeway a little more and create a little CLT skyline.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am not too concerned about the surface parking in this area because of the freeway running through that area. I personally like the CLT these will be built out of, but it would have been nice to see these be a bit taller, 8-12 stories so that they stick out over the freeway a little more and create a little CLT skyline.
Or just get rid of the freeway

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised if the surface lots were in an easement for future freeway right of way expansion at this point.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if the surface lots were in an easement for future freeway right of way expansion at this point.
That's almost certainly the case. I'm sure ODOT would make I5 thirty lanes if they could

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 9:14 PM
A before E

Quote:
That would be great, though I would have said I can't see that ever happening but that was before a pandemic and all these businesses finding out that their employees can actually work from home. We might have less of a need for all these freeways in the future and could easily free up more land for housing that have extra room in the units for personal office space for more people to live closer in to the city and closer to amenities.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 10:27 PM

I've been thinking the same thing: instead of billions for freeways, a few million in incentives to encourage wfh.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:45 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...s-economy.html

Quote:

Sturgeon gambles again, plans new Portland office building even as coronavirus ravages economy
Updated 9:41 AM; Today 8:20 AM
By Jeff Manning | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Portland real estate developer Vanessa Sturgeon is once again staring a deep recession in the face and rolling the dice.

Sturgeon Development Partners announced Thursday it will build an eight-story office in Portland’s Central Eastside, despite the deadly pandemic and the economic ruin left in its path.

The announcement offers a whiff of normalcy amid an unrelenting stretch of economic news that ranges from bad to cataclysmic. In fact, Flatworks, as this project has been dubbed, could represent much more to the regional economy than your average real estate development.

The new structure, to be built on Southeast Grand Avenue between Southeast Ash and Pine streets, will be made with cross-laminated timber. It’s a much-ballyhooed technology that advocates say is a greener and more attractive alternative to traditional concrete and steel.
...(continues)

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:36 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I assume this would get built on the east side of the block which would tear down two small one story buildings and a parking lot and not tear down the Osborn building.

When I first saw the building design, I thought it was gonna be by the buildings that have gone up for Simple Bank on Clay to add to that bland micro skyline that is going on over there.

I am really liking how the East Burnside area is really becoming its own urban district with it's own distinct skyline that I hope gets bigger. Portland is definitely going to need to rethink that area with how people move around and how traffic moves through it.

Also, I love that this building will use CLT, I really want to see more buildings in Portland using CLT.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I assume this would get built on the east side of the block which would tear down two small one story buildings and a parking lot and not tear down the Osborn building.
The site is actually the half block directly across the street from the Osborn.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 1:28 AM

Flatworks DAR #2 Drawings [64 MB] and Memo to the Historic Landmarks Commission.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 6:02 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It will be a nice bland infill office building, it will be interesting to see this Grand corridor full of these kinds of buildings. Also, the height limits for the Grand Historic District makes no sense to me, it really seems like they random produced height limits for each block just to mess with people.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:14 PM

Troy Laundry Addition Drawings [148 MB].

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:19 PM

1010 SE Ash Drawings and Staff Report.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:27 AM

The Burger King by the Hawthorne Bridge is closed and fenced off with a development notice posted on site.

I checked Portland maps and found this:

A Pre-Application Conference to discuss construction of a 12,450 square foot retail building (CVS Pharmacy). A drvie through window and a surface parking lot for 30 vehicles is proposed. There are curb cuts on both SE M L King and SE Grand for the parking lot and the drive-through. The drive-through exits onto SE Clay Street. An Early Assistance meeting was held in 2019 to discuss this project (19-238518)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
The Burger King by the Hawthorne Bridge is closed and fenced off with a development notice posted on site.

A Pre-Application Conference to discuss construction of a 12,450 square foot retail building (CVS Pharmacy). A drvie through window and a surface parking lot for 30 vehicles is proposed. There are curb cuts on both SE M L King and SE Grand for the parking lot and the drive-through. The drive-through exits onto SE Clay Street. An Early Assistance meeting was held in 2019 to discuss this project (19-238518)
Didn't that one just have a fire?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 7:06 AM
A before E

Quote:

Well that was exciting news and a let down all in one post.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 5:23 PM

In Seattle there was a similar proposal in a dense neighborhood (Lower Queen Ann I think) that cause community complaints and led to a zoning change requiring a minimum FAR in some areas to prevent such suburban development. The revised proposal included several level of housing above.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland