HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 9:50 PM

Sellwood Bridge Project design approved by Multnomah County commissioners
POSTED: Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 02:44 PM PT
BY: Reed Jackson

Quote:
The Multnomah County Board of Commissioners today approved the final design of the Sellwood Bridge Project.

With the approval, construction can begin late this summer on the bridge’s replacement, which will be a steel deck arch bridge. Construction on a detour bridge has already begun.

The board’s decision comes only a few days after Mayor Sam Adams and the project’s public stakeholder committee approved the design, but rejected some of its features, including the placement of bike lanes on only one side of the bridge.

Adams also showed concern about the project’s overall cost of $299 million, which according to him, is close to $70 million more than the project’s original estimated cost (county officials say it’s closer to $30 million).

Despite the design being approved by the committee and now the board, project managers will continue to explore design options to lower the project’s cost, said Commissioner Deborah Kafoury.

The project is expected to finish spring of 2016.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 8:08 AM

Sellwood Bridge

So, I'm not sure if anyone else heard about it, but the Sellwood Bridge is going to be shut down from the 17-24 with the move happening on the 19th, weather permitting.

http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/?e=325

I'm thinking I'll probably try to see it, but at least they have the webcam option if you can't make it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:37 AM
A before E

That is just crazy that they are actually going to move the Sellwood Bridge.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 3:03 PM

Crazy when you realize they are doing it to appease clackamas county commuters even after they pulled their revenue for the bridge. We should of just closed the bridge for the year, could have saved millions in expenses.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 5:26 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Crazy when you realize they are doing it to appease clackamas county commuters even after they pulled their revenue for the bridge. We should of just closed the bridge for the year, could have saved millions in expenses.
Um... Cities thrive only if people and goods can get to and from work. That's why we have bridges, and roads in the first place.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 4:06 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

At this point, I just want the new bridge to be built. Its going to be awesome! Sidewalks, bike lanes, and cycle tracks on both sides!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 4:44 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
At this point, I just want the new bridge to be built. Its going to be awesome! Sidewalks, bike lanes, and cycle tracks on both sides!
I agree. I'm thrilled about this new bridge. I often bike or run the loop along the Springwater Corridor, and over the Sellwood Bridge. Right now, crossing the bridge on a bike or even walking can be terrifying.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Sellwood Bridge move comes off without a hitch, amazing hundreds of onlookers
By Dana Tims, The Oregonian

on January 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM, updated January 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

The Sellwood Bridge on Saturday provided daylong entertainment for a giddy crowd of hundreds of awestruck onlookers, as its 6.8 million-pound span moved -- in what seemed miraculous to many -- inches at a time onto new, temporary supports.

The move came off flawlessly, capping months of intense planning and detailed preparations.

Traveling about six feet per hour, the bridge's 1,100-foot-long steel truss slid so slowly along specially built tracks that actual movement was nearly impossible to discern.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 2:46 AM
Semi-Lurker

100's of people watched a bridge move at 6ft per hour..... ....

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:02 AM

It's quite interesting though if you can compress the time down to 90 seconds.

http://www.kptv.com/story/20628356/s...t-for-saturday

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:39 AM

A couple of snaps from the bridge move:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:43 AM

Nice shots!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 12:16 AM

is there some updates on this?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 10:29 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Not much, it looks like there is one concrete support left to remove. Last time I was near it, they had recently poured some concrete abutments for the east side of the bridge, and it looked like the bridge will be much wider than it is now.

You can see here:

http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/?p=construction-camera

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:37 PM

The [old] Sellwood Bridge is for sale:

Quote:
Bridge for sale: Multnomah County seeks buyers for Portland's 88-year-old Sellwood Bridge

By Kelly House

Decrepit. Obsolete. Crumbling. Unsafe.

Given the harsh words used to describe Multnomah County’s 88-year-old Sellwood Bridge, a recycling complex might seem like its most logical destination once crews finish building its replacement in 2016.

Instead, the county is looking to sell it.

The Sellwood’s uncommon construction gives it historic value. As such, the National Historic Preservation Act specifies the county must court potential buyers before demolishing the bridge.

The county will post for-sale ads in The Oregonian and the Daily Journal of Commerce this week.

County leaders aren’t anticipating a flood of interest.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:41 PM

....and no one wanted to buy the Sellwood Bridge.

Quote:
Sellwood Bridge faces demolition after sale turns up no buyers

By Kelly House | khouse@oregonian.com

Nobody wants to buy the Sellwood Bridge.

Multnomah County’s deadline for interested parties to submit plans to purchase and relocated the 88-year-old bridge has come and gone, without a single serious offer.

“Nobody even came out to kick the tires,” County bridge spokesman Mike Pullen said. “We had a tour available for anybody to come out, and we didn’t get a single person.”

County leaders aren’t surprised. They expected this outcome when they put the bridge up for sale back in August. The Sellwood is old and crumbling, and its unusually long 1,091-foot truss span would make moving it a costly and difficult endeavor.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:59 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Awe. I remember a few years ago, before the great recession I believe, there was talk of reusing a bridge, taken from the river and placed instead over the 405 in the Pearl for pedestrians and cyclists. I can't even remember which bridge that was, but I'm sure somebody here remembers. The idea sure was neat... but of course, in the end, it all came down to money (or a lack thereof). Anyway... I knew it wasn't realistic, but I hoped somebody would float the idea again, this time for reusing the old Sellwood Bridge.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:37 AM

It was the old Sauvie Island bridge.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:44 AM
A before E

I figured the Sellwood Bridge would end up being scrap metal. Not much of a loss, it was an okay looking bridge.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:26 PM

Quote:
3-day Sellwood Bridge closure expected to jam up Ross Island Bridge, I-5 and Oregon 99E commutes

A three-day closure of the Sellwood Bridge that starts Wednesday morning is expected to create longer commutes for drivers on the Ross Island Bridge, Southeast McLoughlin Boulevard and Interstate 5.

The Sellwood, which carries more than 15,000 vehicles a day, needs to be closed in order for crews to shift traffic from Southeast Tacoma Street onto an east approach to the new $307.5 million bridge, said Mike Pullen, a Multnomah County transportation spokesman.

The bridge will be closed to all traffic from 5 a.m. Wednesday until as late as 11:59 p.m. Friday, Pullen said.

For months, traffic has been running on a temporary bridge as crews build the new span and dismantle the old one. "But as of Friday night, the public will be using about 100 yards of the new Sellwood Bridge on the east approach" from the Sellwood neighborhood, Pullen said. "People are going to notice a big S-curve as they're coming west on Tacoma."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure