HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 7:44 PM

Looks like an outdated rendering in that article, supposed to be 10 floors.

https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/def...0pacagenda.pdf

Unless they changed it back to 9?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
https://huddle.today/downtown-freder...-already-full/

The nine story apartment under construction downtown is already full (scheduled completion in 2022). Hopefully we keep getting high rise apartments in the core, as demand is clearly there.
They can't build apartments or for that matter houses/condos fast enough. Demand currently outweighs the inventory. A friend of mine that has a significant stake in the realty business told me that there was more vacant land sold last year in Freddy than the previous 15 years combined. Gotta figure that bodes well for future builds

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:03 PM

It's not just in the cities either. My mom up in Woodstock says the realtors up there are just screaming for more places to sell. Even the demand in the smaller towns within range of the cities is off the charts.

The high price of building materials is concerning; especially since we're a producer of many of those materials. Hopefully that won't be too much of a damper on construction overall. I suspect the lack of tradespeople is another dampener on the construction boom; it's hard to build to demand when you can't find enough people to do the building.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 12:29 PM

Here's some weekend photos of the Promenade on Queen St, and one of the Beaverbrook art gallery

20210402_145603 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20210402_145716 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20210402_145804 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Here's a photo of the Beaverbrook Art Gallery:

20210402_150602 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:02 PM

Just reading that Kitchen 540 will open up a Gastro-Pub in the lighthouse downtown. They are working on renos including building a kitchen and taps. Will have seating for 60 and hire 20 staff. Aiming to be open by June 1. It will be known as "The Lighthouse by 540". I think this is a good thing. They will then have 3 local restaurants, the original on Queen, 540 North in Picaroons, and the new lighthouse location

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 2:48 PM

Here's a photo of the new apartment complex going in next to Byblos.

Downtown photos by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 9:29 PM

Went by the Centennial Building this morning and notice some digging going on there. Suspect they are prepping for the big remodel.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Just reading that Kitchen 540 will open up a Gastro-Pub in the lighthouse downtown. They are working on renos including building a kitchen and taps. Will have seating for 60 and hire 20 staff. Aiming to be open by June 1. It will be known as "The Lighthouse by 540". I think this is a good thing. They will then have 3 local restaurants, the original on Queen, 540 North in Picaroons, and the new lighthouse location
That's perfect!! What's happening to the building beside it? It's a nice location for a resto too

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 10:58 AM

According to the local paper, the owner of the former Risteen Building on Queen St West says the project is delayed due to COVID-19 issues. Project planning is back on track now with plans for construction next year. He is still deciding between a 7 story or 9 story build. The debris currently onsite from the demo will be cleaned up this summer.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 3:03 PM

I was just about to start a Downtown thread but figured I'd look first and here it is!

From the main Freddy thread, an overview of what's going on downtown at the moment:

Looking ahead for downtown (and/or for a "Fredericton Downtown thread), I think these are the current projects:

* Promenade: Mostly complete now.
* Legion: Should be topping out in another month or so I think, and sealed up by spring weather permitting.
* Courthouse: Site prep started
* Risteen building: Torn down, starting in the spring I think. No public details yet.
* Smythe street: Foundations poured for the small 4-8 unit buildings near the market. (I think that's the project for there?)
* Centennial Building: Renovations should be starting soon (if they aren't already) to flip it to apartments and a boutique hotel and commercial space.

And these are areas of downtown prime for development:

* TD Tower 2. IMO the city should be trying to put more pressure on whoever controls that site to get something moving there beyond a gravel parking lot.
* Queen and Northumberland: The grassy corner next to Irving. Years ago a 6 story office building was proposed there (similar to what's across Northumberland) but nothing came of it. That area could still use a nice project there. Also how much more time does Irving have on the land there? When Irving has to move out of the lot, that will be a major spot prime for development in the years to come.
* King Street @ Victoria Circle: As mentioned above, lots may have been consolidated and some have been cleared, but no word on what's going on.
* King street next to Victory: Lot was cleared and an apartment building is planned but no idea on when it starts yet.
* King street across from the Tannery: Currently a gravel parking lot; a prime location for a signature piece.
* FYEyes/old SMT parking lot: The courthouse is taking part of it, plans are for Playhouse 2.0 on the corner and commercial/residential along Brunswick street.
* Old Isaac's Way on Carleton street. When IW burned down, it was just turned to a parking lot. It would be nice to see that filled in again, maybe with a 4 story building of some sort.

Other projects:

* The new Atrium entrance of the Beaverbrook Museum is running a bit behind schedule apparently; but should be ready soon. They were going to reopen with some exhibits this month but I heard on the radio that they're putting the exhibit plans on hold due to COVID mainly.
* The Officers Square renovations should move on to the next phase this spring and hopefully move towards completion. I do like the new entrance on Queen street and the retaining wall; and will like it more when the iron fencing is added in.
* There was an article late last year about the city getting control of the brick building next to the lighthouse, which they'll be flipping to a developer to renovate and use in someway in the future. It'll be interesting to see what's done there; the synergy with the light house, Officers Square and downtown events should be very good.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I was just about to start a Downtown thread but figured I'd look first and here it is!

From the main Freddy thread, an overview of what's going on downtown at the moment:

Looking ahead for downtown (and/or for a "Fredericton Downtown thread), I think these are the current projects:

* Promenade: Mostly complete now.
* Legion: Should be topping out in another month or so I think, and sealed up by spring weather permitting.
* Courthouse: Site prep started
* Risteen building: Torn down, starting in the spring I think. No public details yet.
* Smythe street: Foundations poured for the small 4-8 unit buildings near the market. (I think that's the project for there?)
* Centennial Building: Renovations should be starting soon (if they aren't already) to flip it to apartments and a boutique hotel and commercial space.

And these are areas of downtown prime for development:

* TD Tower 2. IMO the city should be trying to put more pressure on whoever controls that site to get something moving there beyond a gravel parking lot.
* Queen and Northumberland: The grassy corner next to Irving. Years ago a 6 story office building was proposed there (similar to what's across Northumberland) but nothing came of it. That area could still use a nice project there. Also how much more time does Irving have on the land there? When Irving has to move out of the lot, that will be a major spot prime for development in the years to come.
* King Street @ Victoria Circle: As mentioned above, lots may have been consolidated and some have been cleared, but no word on what's going on.
* King street next to Victory: Lot was cleared and an apartment building is planned but no idea on when it starts yet.
* King street across from the Tannery: Currently a gravel parking lot; a prime location for a signature piece.
* FYEyes/old SMT parking lot: The courthouse is taking part of it, plans are for Playhouse 2.0 on the corner and commercial/residential along Brunswick street.
* Old Isaac's Way on Carleton street. When IW burned down, it was just turned to a parking lot. It would be nice to see that filled in again, maybe with a 4 story building of some sort.

Other projects:

* The new Atrium entrance of the Beaverbrook Museum is running a bit behind schedule apparently; but should be ready soon. They were going to reopen with some exhibits this month but I heard on the radio that they're putting the exhibit plans on hold due to COVID mainly.
* The Officers Square renovations should move on to the next phase this spring and hopefully move towards completion. I do like the new entrance on Queen street and the retaining wall; and will like it more when the iron fencing is added in.
* There was an article late last year about the city getting control of the brick building next to the lighthouse, which they'll be flipping to a developer to renovate and use in someway in the future. It'll be interesting to see what's done there; the synergy with the light house, Officers Square and downtown events should be very good.

Hopefully the development progress keeps up and a good pace. Feels like there's lots of potential for Fredericton especially the way the downtown streets are laid out.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:

There was a December news interview with the owner of the Risteen property. He stated that details will go to PAC in early 2022. So we should know soon what is planned there and the timeline.

I was by the Centennial Building this AM and still quiet at this time. Although there is a supply of large retaining wall blocks stored on the property. I would expect that activity will pick up later this year

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure that the city can do a whole lot. I think at this point it isn't feasible to build new office space downtown with there still being large vacancies in Kings Place, Barker House, 140 Carleton, etc. So they'd have to switch to a design that's primarily residential with ground floor commercial.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:27 PM

Saw on Facebook that the Warehouse Barbershop is moving. They are currently right downtown on Queen street. They are moving to the Victoria Traffic Circle between Brunswick and King, where the Scooter and Soda shops are currently. They're apparently moving somewhere else, but no details yet.

With Peter Roberts and ThinkPlay having moved out there in recent years, that area's really starting to shift from residential/highway to commercial. It would be good to see what finally happens with the old Davidsons building that was torn down a few years ago.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 1:35 PM

Any more update photos of the new theater/gallery?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Any more update photos of the new theater/gallery?
They've only done the site prep for the new PAC.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces