HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Since I mentioned architect Roch Belair, I will start by posting a link to his former home. You can see the triangular peaks in it which he uses in almost everything he designs. He actually invited My Dad and me into his house back when I was young as my Dad knew him. It did have a really cool studio inside. Interesting for sure but many people here find it ugly.

Some of his few designs that don't have the peaks are actually quite nice in my opinion.

https://goo.gl/maps/Tw32HEQqw3F2
Quite the contrast from the building to the left.....wtf is that?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:29 PM

What area of the province or country does this look like? It doesn't really look like GTA to me but it is.

There are plenty of run down housing complexes in the GTA like any city, but this doesn't look typical GTA to me. It kind of reminds me of Northern Ontario or East Coast.

The spacious parking lot backing onto bush reminds of smaller cities or towns.

By the way, notice the corner of the store? Ya, that's styrofoam made to look like stone-like material.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

White ones look like the old American bases here. Any of them really.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Quite the contrast from the building to the left.....wtf is that?
Was wondering that myself. Doesn't look like a house you'd find in Canada.

Also, I'm one of those people that find that architect's blue house ugly.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Errant shopping carts always help to skeeve up a place.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:57 PM

That convenient store is on North Service road right beside Oakville Place isn't it?

That whole area definitely stands out in a neighbourhood that is otherwise quite upscale. Houses like this are literally around the corner.

That's part of the charm of Canada and something I actually take pride in though. We really have no qualms about mixing low income public housing with million dollar plus homes in the same neighbourhood. There isn't as much fear or tension as South of the border which leads to destructive segregation.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Errant shopping carts always help to skeeve up a place.
And from three different stores!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
That's part of the charm of Canada and something I actually take pride in though. We really have no qualms about mixing low income public housing with million dollar plus homes in the same neighbourhood. There isn't as much fear or tension as South of the border which leads to destructive segregation.
Good point. By contrast, you go to the US and it looks as though huge quadrants of the city are divided up into chunks meant to service a specific economic quintile with very little mixing or blending. You have the rich people neighbourhoods, the upper middle class areas, the middle class areas, the working class areas, and the po folks areas with almost no overlap except maybe in the downtown areas.

I think we're moving a bit in the direction of the Americans, but by and large our neighbourhoods tend to be a lot more varied socioeconomically.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Spend enough time out near the dump and you'd think we had an arid climate...

(Those grass strips, though... I'm hanging out there next summer to get a few pics of the ladies of the house "mowing" those with scissors, because they do).

Some of the lower-income areas, though, have grown into themselves quite well. I know this isn't attractive... but compared to the above, while certainly less urban (former American Fort Pepperrell, now known but it's name before that, Pleasantville) it's prettier...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

I think we're moving a bit in the direction of the Americans, but by and large our neighbourhoods tend to be a lot more varied socioeconomically.
I can't speak for other cities but in Toronto I think we're actually moving towards further integration. Housing prices being so astronomically high forces people who make good money to look away from the traditional areas their parents moved to.

Even someone who can afford a million dollar house, but not the 3 million+ that it now takes to live fully detached within many established neighbourhoods has to get creative.

The area just South of Yorkdale houses some of the more notorious projects in the Northern part of the city. Stuff that looks like this:

Turn the corner and the streets are filled with construction of new homes where existing properties like the guy in the middle here are being replaced with high-end SFH like these.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:15 PM

Damn dude you figured it out already! And agreed. I appreciate that low and high income are mixed in this country. Stark contrast to so many of the gated communities and ghettos/trailer parks I pass by when visiting South Florida.

Of the three grocery carts, one is No Frills which was across the QEW. You can take a path under the QEW to come up on North Service. The black suggests Pusatieri's at the mall, but I'm not sure if their carts are bulky like that. Other one no idea.

The reason this place is rundown I'm going to guess that the owners are just waiting for re-development/re-zoning to be approved so they can turn this into luxury homes or condos. Do only the bare minimum until then.

This is often the case in the nicer parts of the GTA for townhouses or plazas or dead malls. Or on empty former farm lands where there's one abandoned and boarded up farmhouse on the corner in places like Milton, Caledon, Stouffville. Owner is holding it in the family and paying property tax and liability insurance until that land is re-zoned residential and they can sell to Mattamy or whoever for several millions. Two former co-workers of mine said they know or met beneficiaries of such situations because their parents actually farmed that land and held onto it. And a current co-worker in his late 50s bought a piece of land in Milton with his cousin a few years ago anticipating the same thing. But this is many years away from happening so he's doing it for his kids.

One of our clients and retired developer says the Chinese have driven the price of this land way up, particularly in Markham around Elgin Mills and into Stouffville. They have the deep pockets to hold onto that land for the next or next generation.

I'm guessing much of this housing above is subsidized judging by some of the people I see hanging out in the front. It's not Parkdale, but the tenants aren't Yorkville either.

And being right next to the highway on the service road seems like the logical placement of this complex.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 23, 2018 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:20 PM

In the second pic by SHH, if those houses were older and street narrower it would fit right in with any industrial city in Britain. You know, with the complete lack of greenery.

Last edited by megadude; Nov 23, 2018 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:23 PM

Just look at the condos in Regent Park and Moss Park. I'm glad professionals are mixing in with less fortunate.

My friend bought a condo a two minute walk from Moss Park years ago. He lived there for one year before moving to Burlington but he kept it to rent out. He's from Sri Lanka so he had no idea he was on the doorstep of the ghetto.

We had to go to Dollarama for felt pads for moving furniture and I told him to be careful. On our short walk we saw the typical people waiting outside Salvation Army, a crackhead going from car door to car door trying to open each one, and teen moms.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good point. By contrast, you go to the US and it looks as though huge quadrants of the city are divided up into chunks meant to service a specific economic quintile with very little mixing or blending. You have the rich people neighbourhoods, the upper middle class areas, the middle class areas, the working class areas, and the po folks areas with almost no overlap except maybe in the downtown areas.

A huge factor in maintaining that cohabitation is (fairly) low crime. That's partly because the less fortunate in Canada don't seem themselves as locked into a desperate cut-throat battle to survive.

Food for thought when considering whether we want to chip away at the social safety net a bit more than we have already.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:29 PM

There aren't many gated communities in Canada compared to the US. There are some I know in rural GTA like Caledon and Halton where it's not usually rich people but middle class people with decent homes in nature alongside rivers who moved there a couple decades ago. But there is no gate attendant.

The only gated community I know in the city with automated gates and gate house is Rosedale Village in Brampton. Been there at least 20 years.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.74449.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

They're illegal here, gated communities. They probably are in other provinces also.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Most of the gated communities in the GTA are actually under condominium style ownership with private roads, which is how they are able to get away with it. Certainly anything being proposed now as fully gated subdivisions with municipally funded roads would not be allowed. Looking at the lot subdivision in Rosedale Village only the older parcels are classified as single family homes while the new stuff is all considered condominium.

There's a few other similar examples I can think of like this one in Hamilton: https://goo.gl/maps/Ff4RLMZ5fm62

And this one in Markham: https://goo.gl/maps/8zHE8rYspZ32

In the US there are places like Las Vegas where it seems like most of the suburban subdivisions have controlled access, either through automatic or manned gates. And of course that even pales in comparison to some other countries where anything middle class or higher is pretty much in some form of secured / controlled estate.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

The more and more those mcmansions are introduced into those mediocre neighbourhoods on the fringe of the city the more and more the houses like the one in the middle go up in price.

There are people who are paying $900k to $1mil for that house to actually live in and not knock down. And even if your immediate street looks nice with several newly built mcmansions, the moment you turn the corner to the next street or to the main street like Dufferin, you enter a clusterfuck of mediocrity and traffic congestion.

For one million and above, I want to be in an area that doesn't suck your soul out of your body when you have to go to the store or to work everyday.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
There aren't many gated communities in Canada compared to the US. There are some I know in rural GTA like Caledon and Halton where it's not usually rich people but middle class people with decent homes in nature alongside rivers who moved there a couple decades ago. But there is no gate attendant.

The only gated community I know in the city with automated gates and gate house is Rosedale Village in Brampton. Been there at least 20 years.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.74449.../data=!3m1!1e3
There is this one although the gate isn't often down.
https://goo.gl/maps/AZkwUYguuK62

It leads to a seniors development

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 11:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Outside the core protected heritage area, St. John's allows setbacks for new construction. There are streets with more houses this far back than on the sidewalk. This is ok my street tonight:

Its a disgusting practice.

There's also a lot of gutting the first floor for parking. An example also from my block:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada