HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:49 PM

I think Rahm should have taken a cue from Daley's playbook after losing the Lucas Museum, and bulldozed that parking lot in the middle of the night.

If you want your "park" so badly, fine, we will make it into a landscaped park!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 4:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
I think Rahm should have taken a cue from Daley's playbook after losing the Lucas Museum, and bulldozed that parking lot in the middle of the night.

If you want your "park" so badly, fine, we will make it into a landscaped park!
Judge order prevented that

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:56 AM

Hopefully this thing actually gets started this year. Needs to be built ASAP. New designs are a major improvement, as well.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAgain View Post
Hopefully this thing actually gets started this year. Needs to be built ASAP. New designs are a major improvement, as well.
Groundbreaking should be at the end of this year if I recall

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:02 PM

Crain's provided a link to the PD application, if anyone is interested.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:00 PM

^ Nice! If anyone still wants the City Clerk link, here it is: https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 11:38 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
https://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2018...-design-tweaks

Blair Kamin on Obama Presidential Center Design Tweaks
Alexandra Silets | January 16, 2018

Quote:
https://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2018...ease-activists

CULTURE
Will Changes to the Obama Presidential Center Appease Activists?
Alexandra Silets | January 15, 2018

......But concerns run deeper than drive time. It will cost an estimated $100 million to expand Lake Shore Drive to accommodate the shift and increase in traffic, a cost that could be shouldered by taxpayers.

“I asked a Department of Transportation official how much it would cost and I was told that it would be a minimum of $100 million for just for Lake Shore Drive,” said W.J.T Mitchell, a University of Chicago professor who co-authored a letter of opposition to the plan signed by nearly 200 members of the university’s faculty.

“You can figure another $100 million for reconfiguring Stoney Island,” Mitchell said.
“The foundation is being disingenuous about the road improvements – they want to maintain status quo of traffic, not make it better.” .........

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 11:24 PM
Urbane observer

Richard Epstein criticizes the giveaway of parkland in Newsweek
Obama Library Plans Run Into Trouble On Chicago’s South Side

It is an open secret the Obama forces are doing what’s best for themselves by trying to locate the facility in a posh neighborhood without regard to the negative consequences on the rest of the community.

In making its demands for the new facility, the OPC notes correctly that Jackson Park is not held in “public trust” and thus is ripe for development. But beware of hidden technicalities.

The public trust doctrine dates back to the famous, if Delphic, 1892 Supreme Court decision in Illinois Central Railroad v. Illinois. It provides that public trust lands, like Lake Michigan and its adjoining beach, cannot be sold or given away by the state. This restrictive principle is in practice quite perverse, insofar as it blocks perfectly sensible transactions between the state and private parties that work to the mutual benefit of both sides.

The correct approach, therefore, should scrutinize the transaction to ensure that the state receives cash and in-kind benefits that exceed the value of the property it surrenders. (The private party, like the Obama Foundation, can take care of its own interest.)

The just compensation requirement operates in the same way as in ordinary takings cases, only in reverse, because the government is disposing of the land and not acquiring it.

First, it preserves fairness by making sure that both sides come out ahead. Second, it imposes a price constraint on the private party to incentivize it not to take deals that make no sense in the first place. The OPC is not exempt from these rules because of its lofty ambitions.

Since Jackson Park is not held in public trust, Chicago can make a deal with any private party. But that added freedom does not remove from it the obligation to receive a fair value for what it transfers—including valuable building rights on public lands. Some years ago, I described this public trust doctrine as the inverse of the takings clause: “nor shall public property be given to private use, without just compensation,” in order to make sure there is no sweetheart deal in either direction.

There is no way that this Jackson Park transaction passes that fair-value test. Chicago receives no direct compensation in cash or kind from the transaction. Instead, it suffers three kinds of losses.

The first is the financial obligation to retrofit the park to accommodate this oversized project. The second is the loss of amenities in Jackson Park and its surroundings. The third is the long-term inconvenience and delay to the many commuters and visitors who today use the park’s roads and other facilities.

The deal would fall apart if the Obama team were required to compensate the City for these losses. Yet the balance is far different with virtually all the other sites on the South Side, like Washington Park.

There, the new center could act as a magnet that would increase the value of nearby parcels of land, which would benefit greatly from the increased commercial and tourist traffic generated by the project. And the close access to Chicago’s expressway system would reduce the cost and inconvenience of reconfiguring city streets.

The above analysis offers a clear blueprint by which to evaluate the transfer of public lands to private parties. Unfortunately, the relatively clear tests for major land use decisions has been aggravated by the so-called “exaction problem.”

And Friends of the Parks' executive director in Crain's
Obama Presidential Center controversy about parks, not race

Just recently, a white man who is very involved with Jackson Park scolded me in response to an email to Friends of the Parks' supporters. We were celebrating the fact that the Chicago Park District filed a plan to replace the track and field that would be displaced by the Obama Presidential Center. He was mad that we claimed any part in that victory. He wanted all the credit.

Later that same day, an African-American woman who lives on the South Side gave it to me for celebrating any victory at all. She said that the only victory is keeping the OPC out of Jackson Park altogether.

So, here's the thing.

Opinions about the Obama Presidential Center do not break down neatly along racial lines.

Friends of the Parks has gladly accepted invitations to participate at a handful of tables over the last year or so, to provide perspective and consider strategy as local residents analyze the various Jackson Park "revitalization" issues. ...

And we are participating in, and coordinating with others around, the Section 106/National Environmental Protection Act review that is taking place right now for Jackson Park, as we do all the time on projects that impact parks all over Chicago.

Plus, we have attended a number of invite-only meetings with the Obama Foundation alongside a diverse set of community stakeholders, park advocates and historic preservationists.

This stuff is being analyzed six ways to Sunday.

And people don't agree with each other. People who are white don't all agree with each other, and people who are black don't all agree with each other.
Meanwhile, of course, right-wing anti-Obama ugliness in the social media and fake news sphere is definitely spiking as those elements celebrate any bumps that Obama faces along the way to actualizing the OPC. That mess is awful and has no place in this conversation.

The conversation should be about whether parks-lakefront or not, historic or not-should be seen as prime parcels for real estate development in a city that is ranked No. 13 on the list of amount of parkland per 1,000 residents in high-density cities, according to the Trust for Public Land's 2017 City Parks Facts. We are the third-largest city by population. We should be at least No. 3 on the list. We don't have enough parkland as it is.

And the conversation should be about who's going to pay for all the road closures. But that's a story for another day.

We've said it before, and we'll say it again. All of the benefits of recently proposed museums on parkland in Chicago are possible without building them in parks. Since the beginning, and as recently as this month, Friends of the Parks has repeatedly encouraged the Obama Foundation to utilize vacant land across the street from Washington Park. We, and many others who oppose real estate development in parks, would love to see community-benefiting economic development and Obama's legacy honored on Chicago's South Side, where he got his start. Just not in a park.

Let's not again stoop to the racialized tactics. When that's what is really happening, it's appropriate to call it out. But that's not what this is.

In this city in which false dichotomies are often promoted by leadership in an effort to gain support for a particular public policy outcome, and, as we're reeling from the impact of such leadership in Washington, D.C., wouldn't it be nice if our hometown former president would call for a different kind of discourse? We at Friends of the Parks choose to believe that's who Obama is.

At a recent invite-only meeting held by the Obama Foundation to discuss the parking garage, a supporter of the OPC identified himself in affiliation with the nonprofit group he represents and suggested that those who ask any questions at all about pretty much any element of the Obama Presidential Center in Jackson Park must be white and must not care about black people.

That comment broke the Obama Foundation's own stated rules around civic engagement.

This needs to stop.

Maybe Obama can be the change.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
And Friends of the Parks' executive director in Crain's

No way. Friends of the Parking Lots is jumping on a controversy bandwagon?! Juanita has come out of seclusion to try to get her name and grade school writing published in any rag that will accept it? I'm shocked. SHOCKED I tell you.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
No way. Friends of the Parking Lots is jumping on a controversy bandwagon?! Juanita has come out of seclusion to try to get her name and grade school writing published in any rag that will accept it? I'm shocked. SHOCKED I tell you.

I'm shocked too. it's not like they've been commenting on this since the site selection process. And I don't know why they think people care about their opinion on this. It's not like people have been wondering what they have to say about this to the point of bringing them up dozens of times on just one thread on some architecture forum.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:24 PM
Urbane observer

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:40 PM
1st Ward

^ I'm all for removing Cornell Dr (and most other roads that bisect our parks) but Jesus, 175 MILLION? To widen Stony Island and remove a few stretches of roadway? How much of that is lining the pockets of politicians/unions/developers?

Also, underpasses? Didn't these idiots whine and whine about having an above ground parking garage on the damn Midway so that museum patrons can *interact* with the neighborhood? Now that the parking is underground, they are going to keep those patrons underground so they don't even set foot in the neighborhood at all?

Seriously?

SMDH

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 10:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

That Sun-Times article is loaded with typos and grammatical errors. Did they lay off all the editors over there?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 11:41 PM
Urbane observer

Yes. How much did you pay to read the story?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 11:57 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

+100 million would have built a pretty dope new Garfield Green Line Obama Library Station near Washington Park.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 1:07 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Yes. How much did you pay to read the story?
Touche. I'll give you that one.

That said, I also didn't make the decision to provide content for free online, i.e. the mistake all the newspapers made twenty years ago.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 7:33 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Touche. I'll give you that one.

That said, I also didn't make the decision to provide content for free online, i.e. the mistake all the newspapers made twenty years ago.
They didn't really have a choice. Other alternative/web based news providers were offering free news online (well, dependent on ad revenue). Major newspapers would have seen collapsing subscription numbers regardless if they offered their own content online for free or not.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
+100 million would have built a pretty dope new Garfield Green Line Obama Library Station near Washington Park.
Agree.

$175 million is criminal. Throw them all out of office. Scumbags....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 7:35 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Also, underpasses? Didn't these idiots whine and whine about having an above ground parking garage on the damn Midway so that museum patrons can *interact* with the neighborhood? Now that the parking is underground, they are going to keep those patrons underground so they don't even set foot in the neighborhood at all?
The Obama Center parking was relocated beneath the building itself. Patrons don’t have to cross any streets.

The underpasses are further south, beneath Jeffrey and 67th/South Shore Drive. Mostly (or entirely?) for the benefit of golfers so they don’t have to cross busy roads. I’m pretty sure a big chunk of the cost is for that last underpass, which has to cross diagonally below a busy intersection and multiple utility lines, just feet from the lake. Probably requires some shoreline changes too.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:51 PM
Urbane observer

The architects, remember, said they plan to force users to walk outside because, Williams said, “We believe in the idea of activating the street.”

The street:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development