HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:46 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I really hope they don't waste money on this....
The big benefit to these things is rarely the actual 2 week event but the massive investment governments make in sporting infrastructure, public transportation, and the public realm. It often kick starts major undertakings that would otherwise get mired in endless debate. The improvements we're seeing today in Toronto's waterfront were set in motion when Toronto landed the 2015 Pan American Games.

The big prize for Toronto landing the 2036 Olympics would be 1-3 new subway lines, Rail Deck park, University Avenue Park, a 2nd major transit hub at the Unilever site, and perhaps a few more major undertaking that simply wouldn't happen if we weren't embarrassed into doing it. The Olympics have a way of aligning the stars so big projects can get off the ground.

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 3, 2021 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:54 PM

1-3 subway lines? LOL

I can't believe people think the province would spring for that just because TO won the Olympics. Not going to happen.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:01 PM

Ya, given the eglinton crosstown delays, Toronto would be lucky to have the Ontario line complete by 2036, let alone 3 subway lines. That money would be better spent improving GO rail service and infrastructure IMO.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:19 PM

The Hamilton Ti-Cats likely do not exist if it wasn't for the 2015 Pan Am Games. With all in the in-fighting on city council how likely is it that Hamilton would have developed a plan (in partnership with the province) to build a new stadium on their own?

Heck, council almost blew it anyways barely meeting the deadline to confirm a site (formerly Ivor Wynne Stadium) despite being gifted nearly $100 million for the Pan Am soccer stadium.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Is the Summer Olympics a big deal here? I ask simply because my unreliable nation pulse taking says "no", compared to the Winter Olympics.

I generally don't get the sense that Canadians particularly care about a lot of the summer events. About the last time I saw Canada get worked up about the Summer Olympics was Atlanta 1996 and that was mostly due to Donovan Bailey.

In a sense, Canada trying for a Summer Olympics is not unlike the Aussies/Kiwis trying for the Winter ones. Cool and all, but not really their wheelhouse.

As much as we need another white elephant mistake in this country (It really has been too long since we've flushed a copious amount of cash down the toilet on something so architecturally and fantastically useless), might as well do that on something that we kind of actually enjoy?
I don't think Canadians really care too much about the Winter Olympics either, beyond hockey and whatever story happens to come out of that particular games. The Scott and Tessa's, or Jon Montgomery shot gunning a pitcher of beer. I mean, for sure, they were a big deal the years we hosted, but the other years, I think Canadians give the Winter games the same 2 week passing interest we do the Summer games. For sure, we don't really follow most of those events outside the Olympics, whether Summer or Winter.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Wasn't the whole point of the GTA hosting the Pan-Am games in 2015 to build the facilities and infrastructure to eventually host the summer olympics? Could Toronto not host the games with limited investments needed as a result?
I would have to go back and search the new venues built, but I don't really think most were built with Olympic crowds in mind. The biggest thing missing for Toronto is a stadium capable of hosting the track and field events. The ceremonies could be done at Rogers Centre like 2015, but if you have a large track stadium, you'd use that for ceremonies as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I would have to go back and search the new venues built, but I don't really think most were built with Olympic crowds in mind. The biggest thing missing for Toronto is a stadium capable of hosting the track and field events. The ceremonies could be done at Rogers Centre like 2015, but if you have a large track stadium, you'd use that for ceremonies as well.
I was thinking of smaller crowd venues like the velodrome and aquatics centre. Not sure if they were built to host olympic-sized crowds, but it'd be kind of silly if they didn't at least design them for expanded capacity.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 11:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Video Link

full length version:
Video Link

nothing in the world is more cringe-worthy. Not even the wretched ceremony that opened the Vancouver games (nonfunctioning arm, Gretzky standing in the back of a truck in the rain).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I don't think Canadians really care too much about the Winter Olympics either, beyond hockey and whatever story happens to come out of that particular games. The Scott and Tessa's, or Jon Montgomery shot gunning a pitcher of beer. I mean, for sure, they were a big deal the years we hosted, but the other years, I think Canadians give the Winter games the same 2 week passing interest we do the Summer games. For sure, we don't really follow most of those events outside the Olympics, whether Summer or Winter.
You underestimate the popularity of sports like curling and figure skating in Canada.

Since Vancouver, there have been plebiscites on whether to move forward with these proposals. I can't see both Toronto and Montreal residents wanting this.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 12:19 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I don't think Canadians really care too much about the Winter Olympics either, beyond hockey and whatever story happens to come out of that particular games.
Think you're heavily underrating the popularity of some of these winter sports in Canada, in particular curling, figure skating, speed skating, and skiing. Saying that Canadians don't care about winter sport is like saying fish don't care for water.

Something that's been proposed recently is having some sports shifted from the summer games to winter. The most obvious two would be Volleyball and Handball, but other sports like judo and weightlifting would be easy switches as well. Basically just a way to more evenly split the sports between the two versions of the games. Canada isn't incredibly into any of these sports, save for volleyball, but they provide a more well-rounded country participation total for the winter games.

If Tokyo is getting 3v3 basketball it's not difficult to imagine the winter games getting 3v3 hockey. If they were particularly innovative they would do what has been done for curling as well: mixed 3v3 ice hockey.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 12:38 AM

games might be cheaper if they are all hosted just in Montreal again as subway line to stadium exists, stadium exists, aquatic centre exists. All they need is velodrome and athletes village as the 76 velodrome is now the biodome indoor nature exhibit and the 76 athletes village I believe is now a housing complex of some sort? could probably renovate the 76 facilities for a price tag similar to Beijing's 3.5 billion 2022 budget as Bell Centre in Montreal can host basketball and Maurice Richard Arena can host gymnastics and or boxing.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Video Link

full length version:
Video Link

nothing in the world is more cringe-worthy. Not even the wretched ceremony that opened the Vancouver games (nonfunctioning arm, Gretzky standing in the back of a truck in the rain).
It was a happier time.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Think you're heavily underrating the popularity of some of these winter sports in Canada, in particular curling, figure skating, speed skating, and skiing. Saying that Canadians don't care about winter sport is like saying fish don't care for water.

Maybe I am underestimating but I don't think it's heavily. Other than Brier week or the World Skating championships, I don't think those sports really register with sports fans who aren't participants outside of those major events. I remember as a teen turning on Sportsweekend each week and watching the downhill or ski jumping. I don't even notice when they are on anymore and I bet if they are on, the ratings aren't awesome. There are a vast number of events at both games that no one really pays attention to outside of those 2 weeks every couple years.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:23 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Video Link

full length version:
Video Link

I know it was a long time ago but after that do we really wanna trust Toronto with an opening or closing ceremony?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know it was a long time ago but after that do we really wanna trust Toronto with an opening or closing ceremony?
Yes please.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Yes please.
Sounds like there are going to be competing bids to force the other city to host the games lol.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I vaguely remember seeing a bit of the 2015 Pan Am closing ceremonies in Toronto wherein a disinterested looking Kanye West walked off the stage in a huff for some reason. It was a moment of great national pride for us all

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Ya, given the eglinton crosstown delays, Toronto would be lucky to have the Ontario line complete by 2036, let alone 3 subway lines. That money would be better spent improving GO rail service and infrastructure IMO.
I wonder how much sooner and cheaper crosstown wouldve been completed had there been no 'environmental studies'

I wouldve been happy with a December 2021 completion in time for the next winter.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Imo , wouldve been better increasing bus service including putting articulated express buses on Dufferin.

Another benefit of the Olympics may be to finally force them to ditch the cumbersome presto cards and creating an open loop smartphone tap and credit card payment/ metropass system.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 2:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

What the hell is Alan Thicke doing to Andrea Martin' face? Opening her mouth for her? Attempting a Kirkland-lake choke hold?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada