HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:05 PM
ハルウララ

[Fredericton] Downtown Thread

Due to popular demand.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:14 AM

Hello, I'm Popular!

Welcome to Freddy's first neighbourhood specific thread.

The Downtown is basically from the Victoria Health Centre to the Legislature and from the River to Brunswick Street, though that may expand as the city grows.

Active projects we have going on in there at the moment (at the start of 2021) include (Some addresses are guestimated from Google):

* 130 Carleton: Fredericton's "Sexiest" building. Just finished, with some tenants moved in.
* 83 Regent: Mostly complete, some outside finishing to do and a lot of inside work to do.
* 350 Queen Street (next to Chess Piece): Steel frame is going up, almost to the last floor now.
* 199 Queen (Legion Building): Crane up for concrete framing, the first floor is just being poured/framed up.
* 100 Queen Street (Davidsons Equipment building): Site cleared and fallow for a year. Should be started this coming spring.
* Wheels Plaza: Downtown Skatepark located behind the armory, near the Library. Mostly complete; finishing touches in the spring.
* Beaverbrook Art Gallery Expansion: A small expansion to the front of the gallery, taking advantage of the COVID closure to try and go faster.
* Legislature maintenance: Scaffolding is up for the work.
* Centennial Building: Original plans cancelled. New proposal accepted; work hopefully starting in the spring.

I've probably missed some projects, but that seems to be most of what's happening downtown at this time.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:03 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Do we have any reders for the 100 Queen building?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Do we have any reders for the 100 Queen building?
As far as I know, absolutely nothing has been announced for the Risteen building site to date. I thought someone said the developer was working on one of the other projects and would shift to it as it neared completion; but it looks like that was with respect to the Chess Piece building site.

Skimming the past 6 months of the Freddy thread, there doesn't seem to be anything confirmed that I can see.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

It'd possible one or several of the projects on your list of downtown developments might deserve it's own project specific thread. The Centennial Building redevelopment comes to mind, especially given it's size and the fact it will be mixed use. The Beaverbrook Art Gallery is a significant cultural institution, and might generate a lot of chatter. The new Playhouse (once it get's going) is a third possibility.

You should play it by ear. Some of the projects that have specific threads in Moncton started out in the [Downtown] section, but generated enough chatter that I started a specific thread just for them. The Junction Urban Village is an example of this.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 12:10 PM

We'll see how the chatter develops.

The museum expansion is just an extension to the front to give it a new entrance; it's major expansion was a few years back and complete now. If it ever gets another major project, it would probably be worth making a gallery specific thread just for the gallery.

The Centennial building feels like just a renovation now, and likely won't need anything beyond this thread. Back when it was planned to be the courthouse replacement with the significant replacement of the back wing it would probably have fit, but the new project feels a lot less inspiring.

The Playhouse replacement when it happens will certainly warrant a project thread once it gets nailed down further.

When we get a new courthouse locked down that will probably be worth a thread of its own as well.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
* 130 Carleton: Fredericton's "Sexiest" building. Just finished, with some tenants moved in.
Minor correction, this is actually 140 Carleton.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:34 PM

Two other projects on the horizon for downtown are on the 300 block of King.

- 374-376 King is a mixed use development that has been approved
- 340 King has not gone to PAC but there have been renderings of a residential building there.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:37 PM

Just noticed that 149 Carleton was sold last month for $400k. I know this was owned by Ross Ventures and that they were looking to redevelop that property. This is directly across from the new glass office building at 140 Carleton.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Two other projects on the horizon for downtown are on the 300 block of King.

- 374-376 King is a mixed use development that has been approved
- 340 King has not gone to PAC but there have been renderings of a residential building there.
I'd forgotten about those. One of them had been cancelled/postponed due to COVID I thought? (The one across from the Tannery).

The one right next to Victory is still in the works; I think it has signs up for the construction company.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:06 PM

There's this article from last March but I think they've went to PAC again with design changes for this project since then.

https://huddle.today/fredericton-dev...tment-project/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:16 PM

Looking back at the site in Google Street view, I honestly don't remember the white house that was there before, nor when it was torn down in 2015/2016. It's not like I was never down there too (I used to go to Relish all the time); it never really impacted me I guess.

I hope they do decide to go forward with that project. It should do well once it is in. That said it would be nicer if they could get the parking lot next to it as well and fill in that space better; but oh well.

What's the story with the brick garage in behind? It's basically in the centre of the block with a right of way access to King street it seems. Seems to me that it would be good to pull it into the project if it could be, but clearly someone is using and maintaining it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:32 PM

Yeah I've heard that the owner isn't interested in selling it. Not sure what it's being used for. Always thought it would be a cool spot for a beer garden and/or brewery.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:30 PM

Some colour for the page. Stealing from the main Freddy thread, here's some pictures of the King street project between Chess Piece and the police station:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
Here's a couple more of the nice Queen Street steel building next to the Chest Piece, it's looking nice!

20210109_131340 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20210109_131356 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

20210109_131714 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 1:09 AM

Saw today that 139 Brunswick Street has a sold sign on it. This is the first house on the north side of Brunswick east of Smythe. This has been listed for sale for quite some time on its own, but it was also listed as a package with the surrounding properties by Partners Global as a potential redevelopment site. So I'm not sure if they individual property was sold or if it was sold as part of a package. We'll see I guess.

Last edited by OliverD; Jan 28, 2021 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:29 PM

Here's the updated rendering of 350 Queen from their website

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:46 PM

It's not a bad look. The slight dip in height from the 3rd floor and the 4th (compared to the buildings around it) will be a bit of a visual break while not being disruptive to the overall look of streetscape.

It does seem to highlight how much ceiling height has been 'lost' in modern construction; considering the Chesspiece building next to it is 3 stories, and almost as tall as the 4th floor of this one.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 6:48 PM

Here's something I whipped up:

I have a detailed Google Earth file with information on each site if anyone is interested.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 7:09 PM

Looks good. And Freddy downtown could look very different in another decade.

You should probably have an Orange box over the Playhouse and a Yellow box on the front of the Beaverbrook Art gallery for those projects.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 7:39 PM

Interesting. What are the city's plans with the onramps?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces