HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
To confirm the talk about the Taste of Egypt building, SNB shows it now has the same ownership as 91 King Street.
Then we may in for a pleasant surprise on the size of it. I can’t see it being less than 7 stories, but hoping for 11. It would very desirable area with King’s Sq across the street and city market next door

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Then we may in for a pleasant surprise on the size of it. I can’t see it being less than 7 stories, but hoping for 11. It would very desirable area with King’s Sq across the street and city market next door
Let’s dream big! Lets hope for 15!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 6:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Let’s dream big! Lets hope for 15!
Taller doesn't necessarily mean better. I'd wait to see what the plans are for mixed-use before i'd start worrying about height.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
I recently noticed that the Saint John Community Loan Fund's 2020 Annual Report has some info about what's next for the nonprofit's social purpose real estate efforts. The concept shows new 3-storey buildings to be constructed on either side of their most recent reno at 40 Exmouth Street, expected to total 10-12 new affordable units.

I'm very happy to see the Loan Fund emerge as a new player in the NGO/nonprofit housing space in the city, alongside the more established Housing Alternatives/Co-ops and SJ Non-Profit Housing organizations. The more the merrier!
Telegraph Journal mentions this being resurrected if lumber prices come down this summer. I'm a big fan of this kind of affordable housing compared to subsidized rents and megaprojects. Grew up across the street from the co-op on Elliott Row and the tenants were always maintaining/improving their property, even back in the bad old 90s.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
The first sign of activity for The Wellington in a long time. Looks like they'll be breaking ground quite soon.

I saw from the architect's social media that this building will meet Passive House standards and be Acre's most ambitious sustainable project to date, which is awfully exciting if you ask me!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 1:35 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The SJTC Courthouse proposal is going before Council for approval on Monday. Some visuals, from EXP's Heritage Impact Assessment:

Source

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
From what I understand it will be 7 storeys of residential, 2 office and will take up the footprint of the existing "bargain shop" and taste of egypt. There will be underground parking and they are running into issues around access off South Market....city wants to close it off for the night market and put parking entrance off King - crazy. This development will be huge and will revitalize that entire area - get the city out of the way and let it happen.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
From what I understand it will be 7 storeys of residential, 2 office and will take up the footprint of the existing "bargain shop" and taste of egypt. There will be underground parking and they are running into issues around access off South Market....city wants to close it off for the night market and put parking entrance off King - crazy. This development will be huge and will revitalize that entire area - get the city out of the way and let it happen.
Good lord. We do NOT need a driveway entrance on King St or King Square. Keep S Market open but restrict access to City Market staff/deliveries and this new building's tenants.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:05 PM

Quote:
I can’t imagine a project being held up by a seasonal once a week market that can be held on the north side of market. I’m surprised with a high office vacancy rate they’d have offices but be nice to see 9 stories. Anxiously awaiting announcement ...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:48 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Of the possible options for a garage entrance, I agree that South Market is the most sensible, but frankly I think the best way forward would be to eliminate the parking component of this development entirely. This is a spatially constrained site at the heart of New Brunswick's most walkable neighbourhood and we shouldn't feel compelled to shoehorn in awkward and expensive storage space for cars in every single development.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I can’t imagine a project being held up by a seasonal once a week market that can be held on the north side of market. I’m surprised with a high office vacancy rate they’d have offices but be nice to see 9 stories. Anxiously awaiting announcement ...
There is an underground parking entrance off of North Market for the apartments above the Dollar store. This would potentially block the entrance or would not allow tenants to leave by car if the street is blocked off. Not a solution either.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
There is an underground parking entrance off of North Market for the apartments above the Dollar store. This would potentially block the entrance or would not allow tenants to leave by car if the street is blocked off. Not a solution either.
I don’t think some night market is even remotely on the radar of anyone’s concern at the city. If anything it may be amount of extra traffic in that lane where commercials trucks sometimes block to unload.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I don’t think some night market is even remotely on the radar of anyone’s concern at the city. If anything it may be amount of extra traffic in that lane where commercials trucks sometimes block to unload.
Agreed, a challenging issue however the city must remain flexible as the site has sat in it's current condition for to many years.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Apparently it is though - the developer wants to make South Market one way east to accommodate parking and a loading zone and is getting significant pushback from city staff. I agree with others - allow the weekly night market to take over King Square and Charlotte Street sidewalks. The 2 floors of commercial already have a tenant - the new Enterprise Saint John organization.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Apparently it is though - the developer wants to make South Market one way east to accommodate parking and a loading zone and is getting significant pushback from city staff. I agree with others - allow the weekly night market to take over King Square and Charlotte Street sidewalks. The 2 floors of commercial already have a tenant - the new Enterprise Saint John organization.
Yes they renamed it Economic Development Saint John. They are currently at 40 King St - not sure how or why they’d need 2 floors but be great if they are a tenant even for some of it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:08 PM

I may be in the minority but I agree with the staff pushing back on the South Market Street entrance to the parking garage. If the Market is to become the continual focal point of activity for locals and tourists in the city, we can’t hamstring its growth or potential to spill out into the adjacent lanes. Look what happened to Grannan Lane between Germain and Canterbury, it has battles every time there is a demand for a cultural event because of the parking lot behind Port City Royal. Lots of major streets have parking garage entrances in many cities, I see no issue putting one on King Street or Charlotte for this new development if it means the potential of South Market is maintained for outdoor events, market expansions, etc.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
I may be in the minority but I agree with the staff pushing back on the South Market Street entrance to the parking garage. If the Market is to become the continual focal point of activity for locals and tourists in the city, we can’t hamstring its growth or potential to spill out into the adjacent lanes. Look what happened to Grannan Lane between Germain and Canterbury, it has battles every time there is a demand for a cultural event because of the parking lot behind Port City Royal. Lots of major streets have parking garage entrances in many cities, I see no issue putting one on King Street or Charlotte for this new development if it means the potential of South Market is maintained for outdoor events, market expansions, etc.
The Market hasn't had a full slate of vendors in a decade and was empty even before Covid. Having a garage entrance facing King Square, directly beside the Market's entrance, or on the city's flagship street, when it can be concealed in an alley is no bueno.

Why not put a steep underground entrance about a quarter of the way up south market, and terrace/stop up/pedestrianize the remainder? Cut and cover. Street needs to be rebuilt anyway.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:17 PM

There seem to be a lot of chatter about this project. This is all just speculation still is it not? Or am I missing something here

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
There seem to be a lot of chatter about this project. This is all just speculation still is it not? Or am I missing something here
Well here are the clues
Barber I go to seems to know everything happening development wise. He claims Percy purchased taste of Egypt building. SNB tax site confirms a recent sale for $500K

Seems to be some insiders confirming this / so not a lot to go on but that’s what we do we speculate until there is an announcement

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
It's all speculation but it's fair to assume that something will have to be done re: underground parking and/or loading and unloading zones if the site is to be renovated. A laneway or loading zone onto South Market is the most likely option given the logistics of having to do it on either Charlotte (nope) or King (highly unlikely).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces