HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 10:41 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
yeah, looks like on page 113; start at 2025 and end 2034
Yes & Hopefully Biden will be giving big funding to transportation which means Philly can catch up on previous projects & start up the new ones.

The new El or subway!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:50 PM

Glassboro-Camden light rail proposal takes next step in South Jersey

Quote:
A plan for an 18-mile light-rail line through Camden and Gloucester counties has completed an environmental impact study for review by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, moving another step closer to an ambitious project that advocates say would strengthen the region's transportation infrastructure.

The project is sponsored by the Delaware River Port Authority, PATCO and NJ Transit, with $200 million already pledged by the South Jersey Transportation Authority.

The Glassboro Camden Line calls for 14 new train stations, shown on the map below, and it trains would carry riders along an existing Conrail line using diesel, light-rail vehicles.
Read/view more here:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/glassbor...9tN6PRprYpCYgY

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 9:48 AM
Philly Pholly

oops

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 9:50 AM
Philly Pholly

Feds may fund removal of some urban highways
Senate bill proposes pilot program to reknit communities.

"A new Senate bill includes $10 billion for cities that are considering removing urban freeways that could undo damage these projects inflicted on vulnerable communities decades ago.

Critics say these urban highway projects, often including sections of elevated roadways, were forced upon neighborhoods that lacked political clout during construction of the Interstate Highway System. Many of these roadway projects razed swaths of downtowns and waterfronts often inhabited by minority and low-income people.

The bill provides $10 billion to potentially alter or remove these roadways. It would also help pay for plans to redevelop strips of land reclaimed from their removal.

The concept was demonstrated when San Francisco’s Embarcadero Freeway was removed in 1991 after heavy damage resulting from a 1989 earthquake. That project freed 100 acres of waterfront property for development. Another more recent example is in Rochester, New York, where a segment of a sunken expressway that encircles the city’s downtown was removed, and the city is now considering removal of the rest of the loop."

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/feds-may-...y2EFijplfdfna8

Feds Highway Removal

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Glassboro-Camden light rail proposal takes next step in South Jersey

Read/view more here:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/glassbor...9tN6PRprYpCYgY
As I would've loved to have this line, it would've been better if that line would've been heavy rail as opposed to light rail. The River Line from Camden to Trenton should've also been heavy rail, as well and one wonders what the line could've been had it been heavy rail. We might have had a link from Camden to Newark as well as one going into Trenton.

I also believe that heavy rail would've saved a lot of money as opposed to light rail. I do recall that the River Line cost a lot of money in relation to restoring it as heavy rail. Also, the Delsea Line goes all the way to Vineland/Millville, yet another reason why I believe that line should be heavy rail. I'm not against the service, but the mode of operation. I'm hoping NJ Transit can step up and restore it's South Jersey rail system and maybe eventually restore the River Line back into heavy rail.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'd agree. Toonerville trolleys probably shouldnt be a replacement for what probably justifies SEPTA regional rail on the Jersey side.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 11:25 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'd agree. Toonerville trolleys probably shouldnt be a replacement for what probably justifies SEPTA regional rail on the Jersey side.
There's nothing wrong with the Stadler GTW powered Bombardier cars. Exchange the power units from DMU to EMU models, and hang new catenaries above the track, and now they could be electrified. Add batteries to the mix, and you would not even have to hang catenaries above the tracks the entire way. Or try the new hydrogen systems Stadler is experimenting with.
Try any or all of those with your average day of the mill heavy rail subway type trains. Simple engineering task to do with a GTW power unit.

South New Jersey has been in declined for decades. The big wig in the area with all the funding lies across the river in Pennsylvania. If the rail line does not serve Philadelphia directly, then that project receives left-over scraps left on the table. The new extension southwards also does not serve Philadelphia directly. It is not going to get the same amount of funding as if it did - that's a reality check. The lines in New Jersey that have trains directly serving Philadelphia are heavy rail type trains, what else would you expect? Serve the big daddy, get the big money.

Even in England, rail lines servicing the perimeter of London but not the "City" or "downtown" use lesser size trains than those that do. Surprisingly, many of these lines also use DMUs. In fact, that is a world wide trend, not just in South New Jersey.

So, for those specific reasons, I strongly disagree! One size or type of train does not fit everywhere!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 12:14 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
I was intrigued by the thought of having metro-style trains on the regional rail. does that mean switching to 3rd rail power instead of overhead catenary lines?
If so, and if they proceed with raising the RR platforms, they could achieve another one of their stated goals of expanding service to the northwest by turning the chestnut hill west line into a spur of the broad street line. that would provide subway service to an area they identify as being lacking in high capacity rail service. this was first proposed in the 1940s, and is still a good idea today. the sticking point would be how to configure the connection into the subway tunnel itself, but that doesn't seem to be insurmountable.
You don't need to have third rail to be run in a metro style. Examples include: the Kobe Subway Seishin-Yamate Line, the Hanky Electric Railway, the Sanyo Electric Railway, the Hanshin Electric Railway, the Kobe Electric Railway, the Osaka Metro Sakaisuji Line, the Nankai Railway, the Kintetsu Railway, the Keihan Railway, and the JR-West Urban Network in the Osaka area alone (and yes, I have ridden on all of these).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
As I would've loved to have this line, it would've been better if that line would've been heavy rail as opposed to light rail. The River Line from Camden to Trenton should've also been heavy rail, as well and one wonders what the line could've been had it been heavy rail. We might have had a link from Camden to Newark as well as one going into Trenton.

I also believe that heavy rail would've saved a lot of money as opposed to light rail. I do recall that the River Line cost a lot of money in relation to restoring it as heavy rail. Also, the Delsea Line goes all the way to Vineland/Millville, yet another reason why I believe that line should be heavy rail. I'm not against the service, but the mode of operation. I'm hoping NJ Transit can step up and restore it's South Jersey rail system and maybe eventually restore the River Line back into heavy rail.
Yes and no. I agree that electrification (under catenary at 25 kV 60 MHz, which all the catenary in the New York metro has slowly gotten converted to, and which any electrification in the Boston area will be at) would have been superior. It would have future-proofed the River Line rail network and made it easier to justify a link between the River Lines and the SEPTA trunkline across the Delaware River, which really should be the long game here.

However, electrification is expensive. Very very expensive. It probably would have sunk this project had they included it. I am not too deterred by the idea of after-the-fact investment in electrification on unelectrified New Jersey Transit lines.

What I am more worried about is that random spur going to downtown Glassboro. WTF is with that? At least the design isn't so harebrained as to preclude extension to Vineland/Millville but Glassboro isn't that large and I don't think that dinky little spur for a single station is going to look like a good idea when the line does get extended south.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Yes and no. I agree that electrification (under catenary at 25 kV 60 MHz, which all the catenary in the New York metro has slowly gotten converted to, and which any electrification in the Boston area will be at) would have been superior. It would have future-proofed the River Line rail network and made it easier to justify a link between the River Lines and the SEPTA trunkline across the Delaware River, which really should be the long game here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsy...hore_Lines#RDC

I'm not just talking about whether electrification is necessary for the River Line or the Glassboro line. You have to remember that we're talking about 1950's technology here and it's not necessary to have electrification along the Glassboro or the River line. It's amazing that as recently as the late 1970s that rail service was still feasible from Camden and Philadelphia to Atlantic City, Ocean City, Wildwood, and Cape May with RDC train sets until Penn Central went belly up and it's assets were sold to Conrail.

As a result, Conrail ceased to run it's South Jersey trains until Amtrak stepped up and purchased the Atlantic City line during the 1980's until NJT took over that line in the 1990's. It's almost like asking how many engineers does it take to screw a lightbulb when a much simpler answer should be only one, which is why I didn't like the mode of operation for the River Line because I was afraid that it would delay any hope that heavy rail service would come back to South Jersey with the exception of The Atlantic City line.

Even when trains were starting to get unpopular during the 1950's into the 1980's, NJT could've at least provided some limited service from Camden into the Jersey Shore, not the same service as North Jersey, but more limited, with frequencies between a hour and up to two hours on the weekends. NJT underestimated the riding public in South Jersey, which is why many of the old rail lines had no service and placed all it's eggs in the NYC basket than placing another basket for Philly/South Jersey.

Also, the old Camden Terminal, which had the ferry slip and is where the current BB&T Center is currently located at, was the main rail hub for all of South Jersey. It reminds me a lot about Hoboken, another factory town just across NYC. If the powers that be wanted to replace the old Camden terminal, the best place for it would've been at the current site of the Walter Rand Transportation Center.

The only difference between Hoboken and Camden is that since Hoboken is across Manhattan, the financial and media capital of America and the world, is that Hoboken started to gentrify in the 1980's and transformed into a working class community into an upper class enclave while Camden until recently was bogged down due to deindustrialization, race riots, poverty, marginalization, globalization, and finally rampant violence. It has recently turned a page and recorded it's major crime drop, but Camden is still a shadow of what it once was in the early half of the 20th century.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=yhs-Lkry-SF01

Click on the second link and you'll see a picture of what Camden Terminal used to look like.

Quote:
However, electrification is expensive. Very very expensive. It probably would have sunk this project had they included it. I am not too deterred by the idea of after-the-fact investment in electrification on unelectrified New Jersey Transit lines.
Read the first paragraph. The old South Jersey lines don't need electrification at all. This isn't SEPTA. It just need a simple diesel generator locomotive that can haul passengers from Camden and Philadelphia into South Jersey town all the way into the Jersey Shore. Does it need to be state of the art or cutting edge just to ensure ridership? Not necessary. It just needs to serve the riding public and I just don't understand why we need to throw money away just to create another gimmick when all that was needed was a simple diesel generator train set, some coaches, and yearly maintenance of the rail lines.

We're not talking placing high-speed rail like the Acela and the new Avella Liberty, but heavy rail commuter service which is common in places like Long Island, Westchester, North Jersey, and the Chicagoland areas. The blame does go the NJT since they didn't know how to manage the rail service and rail frequency in South Jersey compared to North Jersey. If there's less commuters, you run less trains and less passenger coaches, at least an hour every weekday or every two hours every weekend. Mass transit is a big factor why the Greater Philadelphia area hasn't grown as fast as Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and it's peer cities of DC and Boston.

Quote:
What I am more worried about is that random spur going to downtown Glassboro. WTF is with that? At least the design isn't so harebrained as to preclude extension to Vineland/Millville but Glassboro isn't that large and I don't think that dinky little spur for a single station is going to look like a good idea when the line does get extended south.
It's not the service to Glassboro that I'm against, but I'd rather see heavy rail and the state of NJ spending less money on decent rail service and rail maintenance than making everything "smoke and mirrors" when we're renovating a line, and the fact that it's light rail is a slap in the face to the great PRR and the RDG. I still feel that the reason why the River Line was so expensive wasn't because it was just light rail, but a lot of the contractors wanted a lot of money (pork) just to place a toy train when all that was needed was to restore rail and place new heavy rail rolling stock onto the River and connect the River Line to Trenton Station via the Northeast Corridor, which would've made more sense than giving the River Line it's own platform across for Trenton Station.

I'm sure that we both agree that service from Camden to Glassboro or Vineland/Millville is sorely needed, however where we differ is not the rail service, but the mode of transport. I'd rather see cheaper heavy rail service than the more expensive light rail. I believe light rail is best when it goes short distances than 20-40 mi. Also, it's more feasible to place heavy rail since those routes used to carry heavy rail trains from Camden to the Jersey Shore. I'm just not a fan of gimmicks and it's one of the reasons why I'm considering leaving Philly for another country because although I'm for service to Glassboro, I still don't agree with how NJ is going at it with light rail for longer distances.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 9:52 PM

Traffic

Article behind paywall: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-pandemic.html
the article says that unsurprisingly, Philadelphians spent less time in traffic last year than normal, given the pandemic.
BUT, it also says that even so, we have the 5th worst traffic in the world:
"Philadelphia ranked No. 5 on Inrix's scorecard, coming behind Bogota, Colombia (133 hours); Bucharest, Romania (134 hours); New York (100 hours) and Moscow (100 hours). Philadelphia drivers still saved 48 hours on the road between 2019 and 2020, as the average time spent traveling dropped 34% year over year, according to Inrix."
The national average: 26 hours.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 2:35 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Soooooo what will ever happen to the Spring garden station? Will It ever reopen if that whole area gets high-rises or is it just better to get rid of the station?

Could the BSL spur go North on Ridge ave?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring...–Ridge_Spur)

Why even build this station if its so close to 8th & Market?

What was here before that called for an exit only station?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:50 PM

I'd rather see them add a spring garden station on the regional rail line once they make it running more like a metro. The bsl spur spring garden stop I just can't see as that useful since the main broad street station is only a couple blocks away. on the other hand if it's already there may as well use it. It's too bad they never did the ridge Ave subway. The spur tunnel could probably be used to feed light rail to old city though.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:18 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
I'd rather see them add a spring garden station on the regional rail line once they make it running more like a metro. The bsl spur spring garden stop I just can't see as that useful since the main broad street station is only a couple blocks away. on the other hand if it's already there may as well use it. It's too bad they never did the ridge Ave subway. The spur tunnel could probably be used to feed light rail to old city though.
Looking at the Apple transit map.

Center City and North Philly have all the rail connections, it is just not served well because of the different systems & some areas need extensions/improvements but once tied together it will be no issue.

the major issue is south Philly they need some neighborhood connections.

Here's what I propose

Anything else can be connected with extensions, busses or trolley's being brought back.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 10:42 PM

Yeah, once all the lines are integrated in terms of fare structure, frequency and platform level loading (thinking trolley modernization and regional rail plan) a large part of North Philadelphia will be well served with rapid transit. Tie in the bus system redesign and you get a bunch of feeder lines that will increase service. It's a shame it has taken so long, but hopefully I'll see it realized.

Agree that south Philadelphia is drastically underserved by rapid transit. I like your idea, but I think realistically the best chance is getting light rail on Delaware Ave. Slightly (joking) less realistic is getting csx to share the highline row on 25th down to the navy yard. It is capable of 3 tracks and was electrified, but that would need to be redone.

Edit: just noticed the patco extension you had to university city station. I saw this in the plans extended to 40th street trolley portal, but it seems like having it join the airport line would be more useful if that could be managed. I know patco is third rail though, so maybe just terminating at University city station or 40th street makes more sense.

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Mar 15, 2021 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 5:38 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Yeah, once all the lines are integrated in terms of fare structure, frequency and platform level loading (thinking trolley modernization and regional rail plan) a large part of North Philadelphia will be well served with rapid transit. Tie in the bus system redesign and you get a bunch of feeder lines that will increase service. It's a shame it has taken so long, but hopefully I'll see it realized.

Agree that south Philadelphia is drastically underserved by rapid transit. I like your idea, but I think realistically the best chance is getting light rail on Delaware Ave. Slightly (joking) less realistic is getting csx to share the highline row on 25th down to the navy yard. It is capable of 3 tracks and was electrified, but that would need to be redone.

Edit: just noticed the patco extension you had to university city station. I saw this in the plans extended to 40th street trolley portal, but it seems like having it join the airport line would be more useful if that could be managed. I know patco is third rail though, so maybe just terminating at University city station or 40th street makes more sense.
Yea I kind of went based off the Transit plan as well. I also thought of the 25th st viaduct as well. But that thing is such a mess we can't even get the renovation completed on it so thats out the picture for now.

I wonder why nothing was proposed for the spur to be honest if they are creating new lines east and west of Broad st bringing the Broad Spur to the LIVE! Hotel would be the best bet. then maybe Horse shoeing the line North on the west of Broad st.

All the technicals would have to be studied of course @Mcgrath what do you think of this?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 11:21 PM

Looks like rail service to Reading is back on the menu!

http://media.amtrak.com/wp-content/u...-Statement.pdf

What I find is a missed opportunity is that they’re not looking to restore rail service to the Lehigh Valley and Scranton via Philly, but rather New York. Because of history, those areas are more culturally aligned with Philly but itd be a shame to lose that connection to New York. Seems to me the best thing to do would be to run rail from Scranton to Philly via Allentown, and connect each to NYC individually. But not sure how feasible that is.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 12:50 AM

"Also tucked into the package: $20 billion for communities like Philadelphia’s Chinatown and Wilmington’s West Side that were divided by highway projects.
Philly, with support from PennDot, the Federal Highway Administration and local foundations, has already put $225 million toward capping I-95 at Penn’s Landing but calls from Chinatown to cap the Vine Street Expressway have never advanced."

https://whyy.org/articles/new-trolle...tructure-plan/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Looks like rail service to Reading is back on the menu!

http://media.amtrak.com/wp-content/u...-Statement.pdf

What I find is a missed opportunity is that they’re not looking to restore rail service to the Lehigh Valley and Scranton via Philly, but rather New York. Because of history, those areas are more culturally aligned with Philly but itd be a shame to lose that connection to New York. Seems to me the best thing to do would be to run rail from Scranton to Philly via Allentown, and connect each to NYC individually. But not sure how feasible that is.
This would be huge! Would be nice to connect Reading with Philadelphia via a transit/train line.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:56 PM

Really hope this happens!

Pennsylvania and N.J. are hoping for billions from Biden for roads, bridges, new transit lines

Quote:
As President Joe Biden campaigned for his $2.25 trillion infrastructure spending plan at the other end of Pennsylvania on Wednesday, transportation officials on both sides of the Delaware River were coveting a share for their long lists of planned capital improvements and repairs.

SEPTA alone needs federal money to advance its $2 billion extension of rail service to fast-growing King of Prussia and an $1.8 billion modernization of Philadelphia’s trolleys, general manager Leslie S. Richards said.

The trolleys are important links for residents of West Philadelphia, she said. The bulk of the fleet, acquired during the Reagan era, is a decade past its expected 30-year life span.

”The timing could not be better,” Richards said. “These investments are going to be vital to the recovery of cities that rely on mass transit.”

The DVRPC also prioritized an 18-mile light rail line between Camden and Glassboro in South Jersey, its cost north of $1.5 billion.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/biden-...-20210331.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 8:03 PM

It seems too good to be true; it would be wild if we end up getting some of the things we've been spinning our wheels on for so long, like modern light rail fleet for trolley modernization, turning regional rail into more of a metro and actually expanding service. With the navy yard plan I'd be surprised if they don't expand the bsl and dare I say a northeast spur?

Really wish they had Lehigh valley service to Philadelphia on that map though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation