HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 8:37 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Future Development Ideas in HRM

I propose this site for anyone to throw out thoughts they may have towards development in HRM. I see this as a site for anyone who has ideas and just wants to put them out there for others to mull over and who knows, may lead to something happening. I don't know if a site like this already exists and if so, please let me know, thanks!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 8:43 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I have an idea about Metropark downtown. It was developed years ago and provides much needed parking although nothing else. As a parkade, it is a nice looking one, but has anything ever been proposed to transform this into a tower as well. I don't know if the view planes would allow it, but it seems like wasted aerial space. At the least, if a building can't be built over it, then maybe add to the parkade height to complement all the new proposed developments downtown. Maybe the building is structurally designed to allow for this, but maybe it can be done!

Last edited by teddifax; Aug 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 8:55 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Maritime Centre, back when it was built, there was an allowance to add 7 floors. This was completed many years after the initial tower was built. You can still see the different colours in the cladding, showing the newer floors. My suggestion here is since this already exists and the view plane has already been changed, how about adding again to the height of this building, making it far taller! At the same time, I would like to see the entrance of the building off Barrington, be reconfigured. It should never have been built the way it is, but with the entrance directly off Barrington St. I propose rebuilding the entrance to allow for this, in essence bringing the main entryway down to street level. This would make it far more attractive and would allow for street level stores, continuing a streetscape along Barrington St. The steps up from Barrington St. don't do much for a building entrance.

Last edited by teddifax; Aug 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:07 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Purdy's Wharf

DSCF0319 by teddifax57, on Flickr
Has any thought gone into this site lately? I know that many years ago a proposal existed to build onto the pier at the site, but it was nixed due to fire laneway regulations, as it wouldn't have provided enough clearance for fire/emergency vehicles. Is it possible to develop anything else on this site? The 2 existing towers are iconic to Halifax and a vital part of our skyline. How about a third complimentary tower, higher yet built out on the pier? I know there are undersea cables in the area, but this shouldn't be a problem!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:14 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Trade Mart at Scotia Square

I believe I may have heard there are plans to change this site. This would be an amazing site to redevelop for a new tower, as its lowrise design really is a wasted space in such a prime location. This could also be incorporated into the changes that would come out of the Cogswell Interchange demolition.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:22 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Old Church Site, across from new Citadel Inn redevelopment

There had been a proposal many years ago, then it was cancelled, replaced with a parking lot and it seems that nothing has been done further on this site. I know the economy at the time was in bad shape, but I feel it is time to revisit this site. This could be incorporated into a massive redevelopment of most of this block, as the Propeller Building on Gottingen St. may soon be empty as Propeller has to look for new space as they have outgrown their site. As well, the Marquee building is under-utilized and the building between them, which many years ago used to be a tire company, could be become part of a huge undertaking, helping to expand the traditional downtown northward. Aside from the Staples on the corner, most of this block is ripe for redevelopment!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:28 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Old City Prison Lands off Novalea Dr, in northend Halifax

Has any thought ever gone into developing this site. I believe it may be owned by HRM, but I believe it would be an incredible site to develop allowing for quite a high building and many townhouses, a virtual mini city at its base.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:30 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Funeral Home on Robie, near Quinpool

Do any development plans exist for this site? This is another site, where a highrise would help to frame the Commons even further.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 9:32 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Lands next to Atlantica Hotel

Is there any development planned for this site on Robie St.?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:10 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I propose this site for anyone to throw out thoughts they may have towards development in HRM. I see this as a site for anyone who has ideas and just wants to put them out there for others to mull over and who knows, may lead to something happening. I don't know if a site like this already exists and if so, please let me know, thanks!
I think this thread covers this topic - Hypothetical discussion - Other locations that would be good for re-development?

Some of the sites that you mentioned may have been discussed in that thread.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 1:59 AM
Halifax Promoter!

That thread has some things like what I had in mind. On this thread, I want to thnk of ways we think things could be better in Halifax, given a chance! Use this site as a white board to throw out ideas to see what happens! The 2 can work together, I believe! Thanks for letting me know of that site, I will track that one as well!

Last edited by teddifax; Aug 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 3:48 PM

I don't know how much change we could hope to affect on some sites, where development is likely done. For example - what is the likelyhood that Maritime Centre would add more floors? As I understood, this is as big as it can get because of structural support, not the viewplane. The viewplanes go on either side but I think the rampart rule may cap this out.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:30 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I was just playing the Devil's Advocate and just throwing ideas out, this is the purpose of this thread. Some are just wishful, some will happen and some will unfortunately never happen!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Has any thought ever gone into developing this site. I believe it may be owned by HRM, but I believe it would be an incredible site to develop allowing for quite a high building and many townhouses, a virtual mini city at its base.
Are you referring to the land behind the NSCC campus? (I think that was the land where the T.B. sanitorium and prison were actually located.) It was developed into a series of duplexes several years ago.

Or are you referring to Merv Sullivan Park (AKA "the pit")? If it were built up, the locals (me among them) would demand new outdoor recreational facilities somewhere else in the vicinity to replace it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:27 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I guess I meant the Pit. Recreational facilities could be part of the requirements of any new development - a win win for everyone!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 5:29 PM

Who owns the former gas station property on Chebucto between Elm and Beech Streets? I was thinking some townhouses would look nice right about there.

Last edited by FuzzyWuz; Jul 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM. Reason: a word

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 12:50 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosnarrggh View Post
Are you referring to the land behind the NSCC campus? (I think that was the land where the T.B. sanitorium and prison were actually located.) It was developed into a series of duplexes several years ago.
There is a great plan for the land between the port, Africville Road and the highway... the Bayne Street Master Plan.

http://wayemason.ca/publication/bayn...lan/wppa_open/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:56 PM

Not sure where to put this, so I will give this a try.
I've mentioned a film festival we did in Calgary and a few different documentary series that were available. One I'm fond of E Squared (produced by PBS). Well, one episode was on Brian MacKay-Lyons of the architecture firm Lyons Sweetapple Architects Ltd. on Gottingen Street.

This is a very well done series, thought I'd share this with everyone.
E squared Documentary

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Mar 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues