HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

Hughson Street Baptist Church Pocket Housing | ? | 3 fl | Proposed

source

source

source

Google Street View | 383 Hughson Street North

Quote:
This project converts the existing stone church building for Hughson St. Baptist Church, first constructed in 1857, into eightteen individual residential units. The church had outgrown their site and Invizij were able to design their new site with affordable housing a block away in the North Hamilton neighbourhood. This allowed the existing church site to be repurposed as individual condo units following the co-housing model of community-based development. The site is currently undergoing rezoning to mixed use residential. When it is completed in 2021, the complex will include new homes ranging from one bedroom to two-bedroom suites. The intention of the community is that people from different backgrounds and life stages will be able to live and share life together – from seniors that can age in place in their community to small families and singles. The gardens on the site will be for the use of the inhabitants for growing food and enjoying the landscape. The entire development is planned to follow the Passive House model with high levels of insulation, triple glazed windows, and high airtightness in order to mitigate energy consumption. This development aims to be a sustainable model of redevelopment that can be replicated across other heritage structures throughout the city.

- source

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 9:02 PM
Hamilton Historian

Google Street View | 383 Hughson Street North[/QUOTE]

not a huge fan of the entrance siding added over the brick or the "modernization" of the front door over the beautiful heritage door, but the wood part isn't too bad I guess.

I just don't understand why every "modernization" attempt involves erasing every artisan element from a building - you could so easily just add more of the same style onto the existing building to make it 2 stories..

But it's good to see the adaptive re-use as opposed to it just being torn down. Church re-utilization and modernization seems to be big lately - this is what, the 4th church development of some form in the past while?

Last edited by Chronamut; Aug 19, 2020 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 9:48 PM
Ham-burgher

I like this. The fact they're keeping so much of the original church structure while adding complementary and minimally intrusive additions makes this a winner for me.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 2:26 AM

We walk by this church regularly on walks and bike rides to the waterfront and I was curious if anyone had heard anything about updates on this.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton