HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 11:42 PM

[Dartmouth] George Shiels House (45 Dundas) | 50 M | 13 FL | Proposed

New proposal for Downtown Dartmouth by Sidewalk Red. They are proposing to restore George Shiels House at 86 Ochterlonely Street, and a unregistered house at 61 Queen Street. In between they are asking to build a 13-storey, 103 unit residential building with ground floor commercial to replace 43-45 Dundas Street.

PLANAPP 2023-00991 - 86 Ochterloney Street, Dartmouth

There are full site plan, and colour renderings on the planning website.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
New proposal for Downtown Dartmouth by Sidewalk Red. They are proposing to restore George Shiels House at 86 Ochterlonely Street, and a unregistered house at 61 Queen Street. In between they are asking to build a 13-storey, 103 unit residential building with ground floor commercial to replace 43-45 Dundas Street.

PLANAPP 2023-00991 - 86 Ochterloney Street, Dartmouth

There are full site plan, and colour renderings on the planning website.
Odd looking building with its peaked top, and white siding with yellow highlights.

It's nice that they are restoring two heritage houses on either end of the lot, though.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Odd looking building with its peaked top, and white siding with yellow highlights.

It's nice that they are restoring two heritage houses on either end of the lot, though.
Hmm, echoes of Bell Lofts adjacent. Is it the same developer I wonder?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 2:10 PM
Salty Town

Strange way to disguise a 13 storey building by making it look like a giant house. Should fit in with its neighbour.

Hopefully the trend of incorporating existing buildings with architectural merit into the development will continue and there should be significant $$ bonus to the developer to do so.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Same developer indeed. Honestly, I like the lofts next door, and I think this one looks promising too. Most of the what this developer does turns out very nicely, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 4:54 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Yeah, that was my thought as well (confirmed by Drybrain).

I get the quirkiness of the Bell Lofts project, but for me it doesn't translate well to the larger building... but then it's only a rendering. We'll get to see how it looks in person, eventually. Might be one of those designs that you love or hate, with little room for ambivalence in between.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 1:17 PM

The odd peaked roof is up high enough that most will not see it from nearby. I don't think it looks very good, but you will only see it from a distance, I suspect. The units on the top floor look interesting, with those inset terraces and that large, tall bank of windows.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 5:00 PM

Not a fan of the design. The rooftop might come out ok, but the overall design looks outdated to me. However I do like the overall pitch, the restoration of heritage property (much needed around Halifax) plus the creative use of space makes it worth it for me.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 2:32 PM

Not sold on the design. I feel like it's overshadowing what makes the Tel Lofts unique in downtown Dartmouth. There's no communication between the two buildings in any way other than it simply copying the roof, which unfortunately doesn't even reflect any lines projected from the Lofts. If anything, it's making a medium sized building feel even more massive than needed.

Negativity aside, I do like the pop of yellow - all for more colour in the downtown core.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth