HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 11:49 PM

The old Dofsky's location has been reno'd and is under new ownership/management. The new name is Canvas. Their Halibut is phenomenal, and my date had the duck which was a beautiful medium. Nice atmosphere, the service was impeccable too.

Big redommendations.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 12:37 PM

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the Moncton Frozen Yogurt company "Goji's" is looking to expand to Charlottetown, as well as Halifax. I don't know how familiar you guys are with the company, but they are a huge hit. They opened about 6 months ago with one location in Dieppe and now they already have 3 locations I think and are opening a fourth later in the year. A location on the waterfront or something should be a huge hit!

I hope this is the right place to post this...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 5:20 PM

I noticed a liquor board notice on the windows of one of the ground floor spaces of the Theatre Lofts on Gottingen. It looks like the plan is for a cafe with a lounge license called "The Nook Espresso Lounge." There seem to be renovations happening in the other space as well.

It's really interesting to see new restaurants and bars opening along Gottingen. I think that a few years ago entrepreneurs would have worried about the reputation of the area but Ratinaud and Edna have really paved the way and have shown that people from all over the city will patronize businesses along this stretch. Field Guide is another restaurant-lounge opening at Falkland and Gottingen pretty soon.

Last edited by coolmillion; Aug 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 2:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
It's really interesting to see new restaurants and bars opening along Gottingen. I think that a few years ago entrepreneurs would have worried about the reputation of the area but Ratinaud and Edna have really paved the way and have shown that people from all over the city will patronize businesses along this stretch.
I hope the street has hit a tipping point. Gottingen could add a lot to the city as an equally vibrant but more affordable counterpoint to Spring Garden Road.

When some of the new developments were being built I wondered if there would be demand to fill the commercial spaces but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I think the downtown area really was held back by bad development and bad planning and that there is now a lot of pent-up demand for housing in the area. The housing is finally getting built now and the other stuff will follow.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I hope the street has hit a tipping point. Gottingen could add a lot to the city as an equally vibrant but more affordable counterpoint to Spring Garden Road.

When some of the new developments were being built I wondered if there would be demand to fill the commercial spaces but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I think the downtown area really was held back by bad development and bad planning and that there is now a lot of pent-up demand for housing in the area. The housing is finally getting built now and the other stuff will follow.
The revival, if you want to call it that, is only at the southern end. North of Cornwallis St it is still a wasteland and not a place you want to be.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 2:11 AM

I actually feel like the stretch between Cornwallis and Prince William is anchoring the street's momentum right now, and I think the trend of new businesses opening up will spread up to North Street over the next few years as a result. Filling in that weird blank area across from the library (or even just committing to it being a park, instead of just leaving it to fallow) would be a huge step in the right direction.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 6:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Filling in that weird blank area across from the library (or even just committing to it being a park, instead of just leaving it to fallow) would be a huge step in the right direction.
There is a plan in the works to develop that lot and the former Met and Enviro Depot sites. It seems like all of that would have a big positive impact on the street, particularly if the new buildings bring in more businesses.

They are a bit farther afield but the Citadel Hotel buildings might have a positive impact on Gottingen too, both in terms of new residents and new businesses within walking distance. It also cuts down on the size of the dead zone between Gottingen and the parts of downtown that are interesting to walk around.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I actually feel like the stretch between Cornwallis and Prince William is anchoring the street's momentum right now, and I think the trend of new businesses opening up will spread up to North Street over the next few years as a result. Filling in that weird blank area across from the library (or even just committing to it being a park, instead of just leaving it to fallow) would be a huge step in the right direction.
Putting a park there would just be creating a venue for crime and drug dealing. That lot needs buildings on it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 6:03 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Putting a park there would just be creating a venue for crime and drug dealing. That lot needs buildings on it.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Keith.. but he's right..

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 11:05 PM

Another interesting bit of restaurant news from Agricola Street: Local Source market has moved around the corner from Charles to Agricola. They are renovating a space connected to their new shop to open a cafe that will be a bar/restaurant at night. I had thought that they were going to take over the old laundromat but apparently that's not happening.

This will make three in a row in that one block: En Vie, Local Source shop and cafe and Agricola Street Brasserie.

I wonder what will happen to the old NSLC store front across the street? From what I understand the owner considered a redevelopment but decided against it, instead keeping the strip-mall-like format. With the NSLC in the back, the street-front will be ripe for a new retail tenant.

All these restauranteurs are smart to be investing in this neighbourhood with condos and apartment developments in the pipeline.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:38 AM

Seattle based chain Taco del Mar taking over the old Quizno's spot on Dresdon Row.

First Taco del Mar east of Ontario.

http://www.tacodelmar.com/

http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Busines...-Dresden-Row/1

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:02 AM

Here's an interesting item from the halifaxlovahate blog: Some persons unknown have been stuffing mailboxes in the North End with warnings that the Agricola Street Brasserie will get a licence enabling them to basically act as an entertainment venue with amplified music seven nights a week. That's not their business plan at all, but the licensing doesn't really allow a resto-bar to have a distinct licence--it's all or nothing. So some neighbours are getting a bit NIMBY about it, fearing that a future business could get the licence transferred and open up, I dunno, whatever they want, I guess.

The post here is a request for people to send letters of support in advance of a meeting with residents, which has already passed, but it provides some interesting background.

Reminds me a bit of Parkdale and Ossington in Toronto, where in recent years the city has brought down the hammer with a stupidly simplistic "interim control bylaw." The law prevents all new liquor licenses from being granted for a period of one year, because too many bars opened all at once in those neighbourhoods--a situation which could have been prevented with a smarter licensing regime, like only so many licenses on one block, different licenses for bars, restaurants, and nightclubs, etc. There's little nuance in Canadian cities, it seems, with granting bar licenses. (In the case of Parkdale, there was one really loud, annoying bar-restaurant-rock club place that wanted an outdoor patio about five feet from some people's bedrooms across the alley, but the rest were pretty innocuous.)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 3:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Once those issues get politicized I think you get councillors who try to earn votes by "taking a stand". It becomes about manipulating base emotional responses rather than solving problems.

The complaints are really related to concrete things like noise levels that vary tremendously based on the hours, design of the buildings, etc. If a building is soundproofed well there might be very little impact on neighbours. Building heights are often like this too; wind effects aren't a necessary consequence of tall buildings, for example. They are a solvable problem.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 5:35 PM

What is wrong with bars in neighbourhoods? It brings life and vitality to the area...some people are just dumb. I read about Agricola somewhere else, I was so annoyed.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 6:36 PM

Question: Has anyone tried Rock Bottom Brew pub? I went with some friends who had a groupon and then again for their wing night - was awesome!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:54 PM

I'd love a pub in every neighbourhood

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
What is wrong with bars in neighbourhoods? It brings life and vitality to the area...some people are just dumb. I read about Agricola somewhere else, I was so annoyed.
I think people are worried about suddenly finding Agricola turning into a nightlife strip full of clubs rocking loud music until 2 a.m. and then disgorging hundreds of drunks, right next to their houses. I don't think the fears are warranted at all in this case (they're being stoked by obvious NIMBYs) but it's reasonable for people to take an interest in what's happening in their neighbourhood vis-a-vis noise pollution, etc. (I mentioned that Parkdale patio licence in Toronto, which was quite rightly contested by locals). We need more complex licensing so the city can grant a liquor license for a restaurant/bistro kind of place, without fearing it'll turn into a dance club.

Anyway, I hope the Brasserie gets its licence.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:05 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Question: Has anyone tried Rock Bottom Brew pub? I went with some friends who had a groupon and then again for their wing night - was awesome!
I've been there a couple of times. The food is really good and not as expensive as I was expecting. Lots of awesome craft beers too.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:49 PM

I find the liquor licensing issue super interesting. As soon as the anonymous letter (re: the Brasserie) was circulated to neighbours and foodies there was a tremendous outpouring of support for the business. The fact that the letter was anonymous makes it difficult to reach a satisfactory outcome. It is difficult to have a dialogue with concerned neighbours (and their concerns are valid) if they won't identify themselves.

I agree that every neighbourhood should have a pub but if several open on one block then I also agree this may result in excessive noise and affect the quality of life of neighbours who likely invested in the neighbourhood knowing it was urban but not expecting nightlife to appear next door. Can a neighbourhood by urban without nightlife? That's another question. I have been on Ossington after midnight, and while I don't think there is any danger of Agricola going the same route, it is a huge scene, cheek by jowl with single family homes.

Fortunately I don't think the complainers have a leg to stand on with Gus' pub (no doubt much louder than any eventual future at the Brasserie) a block away. Yet even Gus' was responsive to the concerns of neighbours and installed soundproof covers over windows to prevent noise pollution during shows. I think the best route is for neighbours to talk to one another... (perhaps over a drink)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, its great!!

Nice atmosphere, and their craft beer is awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment