HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:59 AM

Would we could call it the SaJoMo Megalopolis! Halifax would have to create the HalTruWin Triangle, as a response.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:41 PM

I think a better name for an amalgamated city would be MoJo.

Plus I bet a MoJo Regional Municipality would still be smaller physically then the buxom boundaries of HRM

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I think a better name for an amalgamated city would be MoJo.

Plus I bet a MoJo Regional Municipality would still be smaller physically then the buxom boundaries of HRM
MoJo would be a great name for the Moncton/Saint John googleplex!

I think you're right kwajo. I wouldn't be surprised if HRM would still be physically larger than Moncton, Saint John and all the intervening territories combined.

As for the size of HRM, I distrust any municipality that is physically larger than some provinces!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:06 PM

Halifax would still be larger population wise, even if you throw in Freddy

although the size of HRM may be exesive and should change hardly anyone lives in the larger parts anyway

i keep forgeting how big Halifax is compared to the rest of the maritimes

it doesnt really feel like its 3 or 4 times larger then most large cities around here but yet it does at the same time, lol

although, a triangular freddymojo might be interesting, ahah

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Halifax would still be larger population wise, even if you throw in Freddy

although the size of HRM may be exesive and should change hardly anyone lives in the larger parts anyway

i keep forgeting how big Halifax is compared to the rest of the maritimes

it doesnt really feel like its 3 or 4 times larger then most large cities around here but yet it does at the same time, lol

although, a triangular freddymojo might be interesting, ahah
We can't just throw Freddy into this, all those civil servants would ruin our MoJo!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 5:48 PM

Plus Fredericton wouldn't if asked, they would ask MoJo if they wanted to join them! lol

go dogs go!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 6:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Here's a map of HRM districts:

Source

District 1 has about 20,000 people in it. If you removed it you would be left with about 385,000 in the HRM. That population is concentrated in an area smaller than the Moncton CMA alone and is still larger than the combined population of SJ, Moncton, and Fredericton.

Also note that the HRM is way smaller than the combined CMAs of the NB cities. Fredericton alone has a CMA covering 4,500 square kilometres (HRM is about 5,500), for example, with its CMA population of around 85,000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredericton

The arguments about the HRM being some kind of assortment of rural areas masquerading as a city don't hold water.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 6:44 PM

Personally, I don't think that district one should be part of the HRM, rest are fine though

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 10:10 PM

I agree that district one should be excluded and HRM be revised to something maybe more like this :

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 10:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Also note that the HRM is way smaller than the combined CMAs of the NB cities. Fredericton alone has a CMA covering 4,500 square kilometres (HRM is about 5,500), for example, with its CMA population of around 85,000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredericton

The arguments about the HRM being some kind of assortment of rural areas masquerading as a city don't hold water.
The Fredericton CMA is unusually large given the size of the city. The Moncton CMA is about 2,400 sq. km. ( but curiously doesn't include important neighbouring towns like Shediac and Sackville).

I agree, district one should not be part of the HRM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 1:58 PM

Quote:
I agree that district one should be excluded and HRM be revised to something maybe more like this :

If this were the case than areas like Mount Uniacke and Elmsdale should be included in the CMA, which would bring the population back up to 400,000.

These are places that are clearly part of Metro and have a short drive to the Downtown (excluding rush-hour).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 3:34 PM

I know people who drive in from Windsor for Rush hour in Halifax...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:02 PM

If Mt.uniake and enfield and elmsdale are not included in the above diagram its not by much because they were meant to be and i just guessed with it,

i also think they should be included, they seem to be more connected to the city than parts that are
especially when your near the airport.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I know people who drive in from Windsor for Rush hour in Halifax...
I know people who drive and work Downtown from New Minas and even Greenwood (3 hours each way in rush-hour).

There is a considerable Daily Commute to Halifax on Highway 101, 102, 103 from as far away as Kentville, Truro, and Bridgewater respectively.

Last edited by q12; Apr 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 6:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree, district one should not be part of the HRM.
Why do you say this? For statistical purposes or because it's not practical to administer?

The only thing I don't like about the rural areas is that they don't tend to pay their way. I don't mind that so much for actual rural residents (farmers etc.) but they are a small and shrinking minority. Most people in these areas live in large lot subdivisions that are subsidized by the core. They pay lower tax rates and have lower assessments because they are farther out but services like garbage collection cost much more per household because of the low density.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Why do you say this? For statistical purposes or because it's not practical to administer?

The only thing I don't like about the rural areas is that they don't tend to pay their way. I don't mind that so much for actual rural residents (farmers etc.) but they are a small and shrinking minority. Most people in these areas live in large lot subdivisions that are subsidized by the core. They pay lower tax rates and have lower assessments because they are farther out but services like garbage collection cost much more per household because of the low density.
I don't know if any 'suburban' or 'rural' property owners ever really pay their own way. There has been a big push in Calgary to change the development agreement for new communities (with developers) because its been recognized that for the life of a typical suburban home (which these days seems to be about 40 years) - that home will not pay back the cost that was incurred to get it where it is (including roads, sewers, etc.).

Personally, I've always felt that the taxation system should be turned around and that people living out in the rural areas (with the exception of farmers) be taxed the highest and with downtown being taxed the lowest (to encourage redevelopment in the core).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 10:41 PM
Honored Member

Quote:

This would be a more manageable area and includes the airport.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 3:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

I say this because the vast majority of the eastern portion of the (former) Halifax County is nothing but barren wilderness populated only by fishers and foresters. It has absolutely nothing in common with the south end of Halifax. I'm sure that any concerns that the residents of this area have are given short shrift in HRM council.

Halifax should be a city, not a regional municipality. It should only include urban, suburban and some exurban areas of the central Nova Scotia peninsula. ie - only those areas which actually economically depend on the urban core of the city. Hopefully this would give some commonality of purpose to the governing structure of the city.

Give the eastern part of the (former) County of Halifax to Guysborough County. At least they have something in common.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 1:29 AM

Guysborough County is struggling as it is. Maybe the best idea is for the area to be established as its own regional municipality e.g. Eastern Shore Regional Municipality. I like your thoughts about the Halifax comment MonctonRad makes perfect sense!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 2:53 PM

Read an article about Dexter wanting help from Ottawa to increase provincial international immigration to 7200 per year by 2015-2020. I hope he is successful. Most would settle in HRM no doubt, and those kind of immigration rates, coupled with normal growth would quickly boost our population north of 1/2 million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy