HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
That looks like it could tip over so easily with one fair sized gale. I guess they must have needed a good weather forecast before sailing.
How far were those shipped like that?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
How far were those shipped like that?
From China.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 11:50 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
From China.
Yeah and not on direct route either. It took them over 2 months to get here.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Yeah and not on direct route either. It took them over 2 months to get here.
When it left there were machines for other sites along the way. I imagine it visited at least one port between here and china to unload cargo.

She departed the Panama Canal on the 11th and arrived off Hali on the 22. She averages only about 8 or 9 knots.

Pretty much the definition of a slow boat from china. I think they left China late June?

Here they were earlier in their voyage, notice the other equipment.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...million-cranes

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
She departed the Panama Canal on the 11th and arrived off Hali on the 22. She averages only about 8 or 9 knots.
It's somewhat of a mild irony that the post-panamax cranes were shipped through the Panama Canal.

I'm curious to know how they load and unload the cranes from the ship. An EVEN BIGGER crane???

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
It's somewhat of a mild irony that the post-panamax cranes were shipped through the Panama Canal.

I'm curious to know how they load and unload the cranes from the ship. An EVEN BIGGER crane???
Cranes to make cranes to make cranes?! Oh my!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post

Yeah it is pretty ironic isnt it

To unload them, they ballast the ship so its level with the top of the dock, then they "drive" the cranes off over some temporary rails. Then they rotate the bogies ("wheels")to align with the face of the dock.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 9:14 PM
Honored Member

Halterm International Container Terminal announces CMA CGM Columbus Service
By: AJOT | Jul 31 2015 at 07:58 AM | Liner Shipping | Ports & Terminals

Canadian and US Mid-West shippers will gain unique import and export opportunities with the entry of a new shipping service to Halterm International Container Terminal - the first direct South China, Vietnam and Malaysia vessel connections for Canada’s East Coast.

Halifax, Nova Scotia - Global marine carrier, CMA CGM, whose ships already call Halterm International Container Terminal, is adding Halifax to its Columbus service between Asia and North America, with the first ship to call on August 3.

Opportunities for shippers include:

- East coast Canada’s only direct service from South China (Hong Kong/Yantian)

- Unrivalled intermodal service to the major inland destinations, including Toronto and Montreal

- Direct Service to Halifax from Malaysia (23 days) and Vietnam (26 days) and Toronto in 26-29 days

CMA CGM’s General Manager Canada, Lionel Chatelet, said the company was delighted to add Halifax to its Columbus service, thus expanding its services to clients in Asia and North America by offering faster transit times to key Canadian centres. The first call will be by the 8478 TEU capacity vessel, CMA CGM Vivaldi which, at 334 metres in length, is the largest container vessel to berth at Halterm. With ships carrying up to 9200 TEU capacity, the Columbus service offers a step up in the capability of container services into the region.

Halterm CEO, Ashley Dinning, said today that Halterm’s value to Asian shippers and Canadian exporters was the consistent and efficient service the company, through its dedicated workforce, provided to vessel, rail and truck modes as a gateway to and from Canadian and Mid-West centres.

“We now have the opportunity to deliver on these new, direct connections for the Canadian market” he said. “CMA CGM, with its commitment and vision for its customers, has recognised the potential of the deep water, high capacity vessel calls we can support at Halterm”.

“This is great news for us, for Halifax and for the province and we are looking forward to an even stronger relationship with our valued customer going forward” Dinning said.

Under a new long term contract, the Columbus service now joins CMA CGM’s St Laurent Service at Halterm. The latter serves Canada’s trans-Atlantic export markets.

Lionel Chatelet said CMA CGM’s clients placed high value on on-time delivery and the direct connection to Halifax opened up new rapid delivery options via Halterm for the Columbus service.

The rotation for the new service originates in Shanghai, China. It includes Hong Kong and Yantian, China, followed by Vung Tau, Vietnam; Port Kelang, Malaysia; Halifax, Canada; New York, Norfolk and Savannah, USA; Port Kelang, Vung Tau, Hong Kong, Yantian, Ningbo, China and Busan, Korea.

This is good news for the Port of Halifax. With its deep port, Halifax should have an advantage over Montreal for these huge ships.

Here is a picture of the CMA CGM Vivaldi (source: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/det...MA_CGM_VIVALDI )

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 12:06 AM
armchairitect

It's an incremental improvement. Fairview cove regularly sees 7500teu vessels, so we are creeping up.

The route is impressive the ship will stop in both Halifax and Vancouver on the same trip.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 9:13 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
It's an incremental improvement. Fairview cove regularly sees 7500teu vessels, so we are creeping up.

The route is impressive the ship will stop in both Halifax and Vancouver on the same trip.

It seems that the clearance height of the MacKay Bridge will limit container ship size to the Fairview terminal. Looking at the CMA CGM Vivaldi container ship, I wonder why the ship bridge needs to be so high? With the use of cameras these days, I would think that the bridge could be lower in height and still provide adequate visibility through cameras and TV screens. Alternately, could the ship navigation room have a portion that could be raised and lowered?

Luckily the Halterm terminal doesn't have the MacKay Bridge to navigate under.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 5:10 AM

There are regulations that specify forward visibility and bridge height is related to that.

Cameras are used of course, but the regulations refer to human vision, not camera vision I believe.

"The view of the sea surface from the conning position shall not be obscured by more than two ship lengths, or 500 m, whichever is the less, forward of the bow to 10° on either side under all conditions of draught, trim and deck cargo;"

etc.etc...

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/c4...gulation22.htm

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 5:28 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
That looks like it could tip over so easily with one fair sized gale. I guess they must have needed a good weather forecast before sailing.
I can't believe they actually managed to get it to stay like that in the first place! If I ever tried anything like that, as soon as I let go, the whole thing would tip over and I'd be fishing it out of the drink.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 7:32 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I can't believe they actually managed to get it to stay like that in the first place! If I ever tried anything like that, as soon as I let go, the whole thing would tip over and I'd be fishing it out of the drink.
Keep in mind there is another 45' of ship below the water you cant see, which keeps the meta-centric height low.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind there is another 45' of ship below the water you cant see, which keeps the meta-centric height low.
Only when fully loaded and that is not the case in the photo, may never be fully loaded. Consider the cargoes of wicker and plastic bound for Europe & N America. China is exporting more goods than it imports and the companies end up having to take back a lot of MT boxes.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:05 AM

Ballast tanks, every decent size ship has them...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 12:11 PM
armchairitect

As an aside:
Here is How the first pier at the southend terminal was built.
http://halifaxbloggers.ca/builthalif...ean-terminals/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 8:00 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
It seems that the clearance height of the MacKay Bridge will limit container ship size to the Fairview terminal. Looking at the CMA CGM Vivaldi container ship, I wonder why the ship bridge needs to be so high? With the use of cameras these days, I would think that the bridge could be lower in height and still provide adequate visibility through cameras and TV screens. Alternately, could the ship navigation room have a portion that could be raised and lowered?

Luckily the Halterm terminal doesn't have the MacKay Bridge to navigate under.
Fairview Cove Just took a Larger Ship.
Budapest Express is 271 teu larger.

http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2...-budapest.html

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 10:04 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Fairview Cove Just took a Larger Ship.
Budapest Express is 271 teu larger.

http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2...-budapest.html

It is good to see these big ships coming into Halifax. Hopefully the port will see significantly increased cargo numbers in the future.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 1:36 PM

Quote:
It is good to see these big ships coming into Halifax. Hopefully the port will see significantly increased cargo numbers in the future.
Unfortunately the trend is the reverse. Rail service and port handling costs are key in this business and Halifax does poorly in comparison to US ports on both accounts.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 3:21 AM

I think you may see CN pay a bit more attention now that western canadian shipments (ie oil trains) may be on a bit of a slide for the time being... We shall see

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy