HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
It's nice to check the earthcam and see 9 trees in the site. Sweet!
Yeah, I see the media gathering for a planting ceremony... Strange to see such big trees creating a tiny spec of green on site :-)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 3:15 PM

now there's 12 and 2 more being unloaded

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 3:28 PM
World Machine

It's nice to see; still with a long way to go it shows that we've come a long way.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 4:57 PM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
It's nice to check the earthcam and see 9 trees in the site. Sweet!
its your 5000 post and the 500 on this thread lol

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 5:23 PM

and here they are...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 7:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbellamy View Post
and here they are...
Nice...as nice as it is to see trees, I really wish they had made this look more natural rather than a bunch of linear rows where the tree species aren't mixed. Oh well.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 8:30 PM

15 planted and 1 rdy to go!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 10:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lion View Post
its your 5000 post and the 500 on this thread lol
With my 5,001 post I say, "Wow! Cool."

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 11:15 PM

Via DNAinfo

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Nice...as nice as it is to see trees, I really wish they had made this look more natural rather than a bunch of linear rows where the tree species aren't mixed. Oh well.
I was just about to say the same thing, but won't the trees grow into each other after a few years? Because if that happened then you wouldn't really recognize that they are in lines.

I thought that they were planting sweet gums as well...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 1:57 AM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
I was just about to say the same thing, but won't the trees grow into each other after a few years? Because if that happened then you wouldn't really recognize that they are in lines.

Same here but i don't think they are planting sweet gums any more.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 4:09 AM

This image is exactly why ONLY planting oaks is a dumb idea.

How about some damn pine trees? NYC has a pretty long winter. It's not just NYC, for some reason, urban areas in the northern US refuse to plant evergreens. It's just so baffling.

Another example is the greenway in Boston. Number one criticism: No shade in the summer, barren in the winter. AKA: EVERGREENS PLZ!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 7:00 AM
New Yorker for life

^ It's meant to reflect all seasons, not just green.

Quote:
Lining the trees up in rows is actually part of the plan, it was specifically designed that way. Remember, this isn't a park, and they are making efforts for it not to be perceived that way.

Didn't have time to get better views (and pics) of the trees today, but here was my first look...

AUGUST 28, 2010

A look at the pavilion taking shape...

Q&A with the Port Authority...

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/q_a_intro.cfm

Thomas J. O'Connor is a senior engineer of construction for the World Trade Center Construction Department and is responsible for managing the construction of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

Mr. O'Connor has nearly 30 years of experience in project management and engineering construction activities, including the restoration of the temporary World Trade Center PATH Station and major construction projects at John F. Kennedy International and LaGuardia airports.

Quote:
Q. How long will it take the Port Authority to build the new pavilion while allowing the PATH trains to continue running? Will they continue to deconstruct tracks in addition to those already dismantled in order to build up the foundational support for the building? Can substantial work only be done at night and on weekends in order not to halt PATH trains? – Josh, New York, N.Y.

A. Josh, construction of the Memorial Museum pavilion steel, which will serve as the main entrance to the below-ground Memorial Museum, will begin this summer and be fully completed by the second quarter of 2013, with the steel frame erected by the 10th anniversary. As with all of our projects, we continue to look at ways to improve our schedule, and believe we can beat this date, but as of now we are holding to our October 2008 assessment commitment. This steel will be erected during PATH outages at night, but no additional PATH tracks will be affected.

Q. What are the structures being built near Route 9A going to be used for? And when will the area around the future Memorial Museum pavilion be brought to street level? – Nick, Womelsdorf, PA

A. The structures being built in the western portion of the Memorial Plaza adjacent to Route 9A are vent structures. They will serve the dual purpose of providing ventilation for the Transportation Hub and Museum, while also providing access for materials to get below ground and possibly light concession on the Memorial Plaza. On your second question, the area around the pavilion will be brought to street level by the third quarter of 2011, which will meet our commitment to open the Memorial Plaza by the 10th anniversary.

Q. When will they begin to test the waterfalls in the pools? When will construction of the Memorial Museum building begin? – Ross, Johnston County, IA

A. As I've previously mentioned, we will begin installation of the Memorial pavilion steel this summer. We'll begin testing the waterfalls in the 2nd quarter of 2011.
More questions in the link...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:06 AM
New Yorker for life

NYClovesNYC

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...o4jS8Y66ljFFPJ

A tree grows at Ground Zero

August 28, 2010

Quote:
After nearly nine years, life is returning to Ground Zero in a tangible way.

Crews today began planting 16 swamp white oaks at the World Trade Center site. They are the first of nearly 400 trees to be planted around the eight-acre memorial to the nearly 2,800 people were killed when terrorists attacked the twin towers on Sept. 11, 2001.

The trees will dot a cobblestone plaza surrounding two huge pools built on the footprints of the destroyed towers.

Joe Daniels, president of the 9/11 Memorial Foundation, was on hand at the site to help with the planting. He said designers of the memorial envisioned a lush and quiet green space that would bring solace to visitors.

"When people come up to the pools and see the names and be under this canopy, this forest, it will be a very peaceful environment," Daniels said.

Cultivated for four years at a nursery in Millstone, N.J., the 16 trees were loaded onto eight tractor-trailers at midnight Friday for the 35-mile trip to Manhattan. Several were planted overnight and into Saturday morning on the western side of the memorial plaza.

The memorial plaza will essentially become a rooftop garden, built atop the deep chasm left by the destroyed towers. It will cover the museum commemorating the 2001 attacks, commuter train platforms and a parking garage that are being built as far as 70 feet below ground.

The trees were irrigated and fertilized for four years at 15-acre nursery in New Jersey. Daniels said the swamp white oaks were selected for their beauty and their ability to withstand Manhattan's cold, snowy winters and steamy summers.

The trees come from New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C. — the places where the attacks hit. They were about 25 feet tall when first planted and are expected to soar to 60 to 80 feet high.

Once they are planted, an arborist will work full-time to prevent the construction site's daily dust and clutter from damaging the oaks.

An elaborate subterranean irrigation system, with individual tubes running to each tree, will water and fertilizer the grove. The trees' condition, soil moisture and temperature can be monitored remotely through sensors embedded into their root balls.

"Our expectations are we will have 100 percent survival of the trees," said Tom Cox, CEO of Environmental Design, the Houston company that has cared for the trees and ferried them to the trade center site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:25 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

i didn't really liked that the trees werent evergreen at first, but i think that if they maintain them correctly, it'll look really good.

in those drawings the trees arch up and create a cathedral-like roof. i hope they actually do something along those lines for the memorial.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post

Well yea, once they grow they'll create a canopy, but that will only be noticeable from above. My point was that I wish the landscape architects who designed this memorial had planted different species of trees right next to one another instead of in homogeneous patches. In any case, the renders look lovely so I'm probably being overly concerned.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 12:34 PM
King

Quote:
Well yea, once they grow they'll create a canopy, but that will only be noticeable from above. My point was that I wish the landscape architects who designed this memorial had planted different species of trees right next to one another instead of in homogeneous patches. In any case, the renders look lovely so I'm probably being overly concerned.
yea agreed

good progress

15-16 trees there

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 2:54 PM
New Yorker for life

ny1

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 7:53 PM
Honored Member

New York Times

October 23, 2018

Maintenance crews for the World Trade Center 9/11 Memorial have started what has become an annual event. The clean up and hauling away of tons of acorns dropped by the Swamp White Oaks that were planted beginning in August of 2010 . . . . .

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:13 PM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
New York Times

October 23, 2018

Maintenance crews for the World Trade Center 9/11 Memorial have started what has become an annual event. The clean up and hauling away of tons of acorns dropped by the Swamp White Oaks that were planted beginning in August of 2010 . . . . .

need more than 1 kind

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture