HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 11:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

Section of waterfront trail to close for a year
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...sure-1.4911886

A section of the Waterfront Trail is closing as of Monday for construction and will remain closed until the end of 2019, the city has announced.

The construction is happening at Pier 8 so that crews can reconstruct the shorewall and begin construction of the Pier 8 Promenade Park, also known as Copps Pier.

The city says the section of the trail beginning at the foot of Catharine Street North and stretching north toward the water and then west toward the Discovery Centre will be closed for pedestrians and cyclists in both directions.

It's expected that section of the trail will be completely closed to the public until the end of 2019, the city says.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:37 PM

Not sure if this belongs here, but:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...GRUcj3kBsUrqZg

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 9:42 PM

Pinewood Toronto is set to begin construction on a massive new expansion to their waterfront studios. If Hamilton wants to get in on this and be taken seriously, they need to do it now, and they need a legitimate company (ideally someone not from Hamilton)

The lack of post production facilities in Hamilton makes me think this isn't really a realistic thing that could happen. There's nowhere in Hamilton to watch dailies, to do a colour treatment or to get a proper sound mix done. No VFX houses, no prophouses, no costume rental houses. It's not just about having the studio space avaialble, but all of the supporting industries available nearby which Hamilton doesn't, and I highly doubt any of the established ones are looking to jump ship from Toronto when business is so good for them.

I also wouldn't be surprised if mr Del Toro regrets making his studio comment because it seems like the whole city took it really seriously when he was just being polite.

Last edited by davidcappi; Nov 26, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Pinewood Toronto is set to begin construction on a massive new expansion to their waterfront studios. If Hamilton wants to get in on this and be taken seriously, they need to do it now, and they need a legitimate company (ideally someone not from Hamilton)

The lack of post production facilities in Hamilton makes me think this isn't really a realistic thing that could happen. There's nowhere in Hamilton to watch dailies, to do a colour treatment or to get a proper sound mix done. No VFX houses, no prophouses, no costume rental houses. It's not just about having the studio space avaialble, but all of the supporting industries available nearby which Hamilton doesn't, and I highly doubt any of the established ones are looking to jump ship from Toronto when business is so good for them.

I also wouldn't be surprised if mr Del Toro regrets making his studio comment because it seems like the whole city took it really seriously when he was just being polite.
I couldn't agree with you more. I was speaking with a renowned player in the film and television industry yesterday and this got brought up really quick.

Production teams love shooting in Hamilton, we have the buildings and aesthetic that a lot of productions want and need. Not to mention, it's cheaper to shoot in Hamilton than in Toronto. It's also a lot easier to get film permits in Hamilton.

It makes no sense whatsoever that every other aspect of production takes places outside of Hamilton. The city would see a further increase in filming if they got involved in a development like the one you mention.

Another great opportunity potentially squandered.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I was speaking with a renowned player in the film and television industry yesterday and this got brought up really quick.

Production teams love shooting in Hamilton, we have the buildings and aesthetic that a lot of productions want and need. Not to mention, it's cheaper to shoot in Hamilton than in Toronto. It's also a lot easier to get film permits in Hamilton...
I'm a "player" as well. This is a film-friendly city, not yet suffering location-burnout. The problem with Hamilton? For virtually any scale of production it's too close to Toronto, There are few compelling reasons to develop a deep production infrastructure here. We shoot here for the locations. Yes, there would be accrued benefits if a couple of new soundstages were built. But TO is an hour'ish down the road: crew, performers, props, wardrobe, gear etc are easily transported down the QEW/403. To echo David's comment, established suppliers are not going to relocate to Hamilton, or open a branch operation here.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
I'm a "player" as well. This is a film-friendly city, not yet suffering location-burnout. The problem with Hamilton? For virtually any scale of production it's too close to Toronto, There are few compelling reasons to develop a deep production infrastructure here. We shoot here for the locations. Yes, there would be accrued benefits if a couple of new soundstages were built. But TO is an hour'ish down the road: crew, performers, props, wardrobe, gear etc are easily transported down the QEW/403. To echo David's comment, established suppliers are not going to relocate to Hamilton, or open a branch operation here.
If I'm reading David's post correctly, he was emphasizing that now is the time for Hamilton to try and get something going in terms of building or partnering with an out of town production house to open something locally. Yes, he does mention it not making sense for production related companies to relocate from Toronto when they have it so good in Toronto ( he isn't wrong)

I do think that opening a large scale production hub would help in luring productions to do their post-production and other aspects of production (wardrobe, colour corrections, VFX, etc) within our city. It wouldn't mean that every company would relocate from Toronto to Hamilton, but it's a step in a positive direction and would generate more jobs and make production easier.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
I do think that opening a large scale production hub would help in luring productions to do their post-production and other aspects of production (wardrobe, colour corrections, VFX, etc) within our city. It wouldn't mean that every company would relocate from Toronto to Hamilton, but it's a step in a positive direction and would generate more jobs and make production easier.
Production hubs evolve organically, with incremental growth. A large scale hub in Hamilton is not on the horizon any time soon. I have an accurate understanding of the business. I work in it.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Production hubs evolve organically, with incremental growth. A large scale hub in Hamilton is not on the horizon any time soon. I have an accurate understanding of the business. I work in it.
Yes, you made it clear that you work in the industry in your initial response to me.

I've worked with several productions closely and I'm going based off information that the heads of these productions have told me ( Directors, DP's, Producers)

They wish that they could do a lot more of their work in the city as opposed to having to shuffle back and forth from Toronto. That's what they tell me, it's not my opinion. It makes sense. Why go back and forth constantly? Especially on shorter shoots?

This is old news. The City has said on multiple occasions over the last few years that they want to build something within the city to accommodate the increase in productions over the last several years. The land exists... I'm sure someone has the stats of production within the city, year by year. The amount of film production taking place directly in Hamilton has increased greatly year by year during the last five + years.

Several executives from large multi-media and entertainment companies have told me that they believe Hamilton will be known as "Film Town" instead of "Steel Town" at some point within the next decade. Whether or not this happens is anyone's guess at this point in time.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:

This is old news. The City has said on multiple occasions over the last few years that they want to build something within the city to accommodate the increase in productions over the last several years.
Build what exactly? Film centres around the world usually offer some kind of tax credit or tax relief, but infrequently make direct investments. Heaven help us if The City did this, given its track record.

Quote:
The land exists... I'm sure someone has the stats of production within the city, year by year. The amount of film production taking place directly in Hamilton has increased greatly year by year during the last five + years.
The City is supposed to have these stats. "Directly" in Hamilton is too vague. Productions may shoot here for days or a few weeks.

Quote:
...Several executives from large multi-media and entertainment companies have told me that they believe Hamilton will be known as "Film Town" instead of "Steel Town" at some point within the next decade. Whether or not this happens is anyone's guess at this point in time.
Who wouldn't want this? Too bad the old guard can't get past Steelville.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Build what exactly? Film centres around the world usually offer some kind of tax credit or tax relief, but infrequently make direct investments. Heaven help us if The City did this, given its track record.

As I said previously, there has been chatter about the city dedicating parcels of undeveloped land for production studios. It's more than chatter. There have been articles written about it. It's public knowledge.

To your second point, the city would receive a tax credit or tax relief as you mentioned, but this would translate to even further film/television shoots within the city, more jobs within the city and therefore more people living in the city which would lead to more people paying taxes to the city, supporting local businesses in the city, etc. Direct Investment, probably not. Substantial investment over time, without a doubt.

Would the City of Hamilton decide to take on a venture like this? Doubtful, but is it wrong to have a positive outlook for your hometown and the city you live in?

The planning committee has suggested some land be used for a production studio. Never say never. I'm a Hamiltonian and as long as I am, I'll try to remain positive and hope the best for my city.

The City is supposed to have these stats. "Directly" in Hamilton is too vague. Productions may shoot here for days or a few weeks.

I'm sure they do. I'm sure it's even on the internet. I just made the point to say that productions in Hamilton have increased substantially each and every year. Especially if you were to look at a smaller sample size (i.e. Five Years). I'll make a correction. Directly in Downtown Hamilton.

Who wouldn't want this? Too bad the old guard can't get past Steelville.

It can happen if we had more production offices headquartered in the city if we had more sound stages (as you mentioned) etc.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:08 PM

I was making a case against it. I work in an advertising agency, specifically the production area of advertising and we rent a lot of studio space at my work from tiny ones like Album to larger stages like Pharmacy Studios.

Moving to Hamilton is pretty on the nose; when stuff shoots in Hamilton, it's usually a specific collection of exteriors, location shoots or only a very small portion of a project where the rest is being shot in Toronto. I agree with MovingToHamilton; we're way too close to a massive production industry (toronto) to even begin toying around with the idea of trying to get it to shift to Hamilton.

Building sound stages without the corresponding production infrastructure is a very very bad idea.

AT the end of the day, anything shot in Hamilton can't even be touched, watched, cut or reviewed until the drives physically arrive in Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I was referring to this statement.

I know you continued by saying that you feel it would be unrealistic. You're probably spot on about that.

I'm just staying optimistic on something happening on this front, given that the planning committee has recommended a production studio for the Tiffany-Barton Lands. I don't think a film production studio will open. Not anytime in the next several years. I do think beginning to open miscellaneous smaller production offices would be a great start though, and potentially lead to a medium sized studio.

It's not unrealistic. A lot of smaller towns in the States have production studios with even larger neighboring studios (i.e. Savannah Georgia to Atlanta Georgia)

A lot of exteriors are shot in Hamilton, yes. However, you would be surprised at the amount of actual scripted interior and exterior scenes have been shot here within the last several months. There's one interior scene in particular that will shoot in the New Year within the city that will be the climax of a big budget, potential Oscar Contending film.

I agree with what you said in your last post, though. Toronto is on a different level altogether for film production. I was involved in aspects of the industry while I lived there and it's night and day. Hamilton is used as a location. The creatives, pre and post production teams have been established in Toronto for decades now.

I'm not saying these individuals or companies will pack up from a massive metropolitan city such as Toronto for Hamilton, but it appears as if City Hall is finally taking notice of the importance of having productions shoot within the city. It also appears that they're willing to work with production studios more than ever before (i.e. Tiffany Lands)

This doesn't just mean increasing the number of shoots. It means bringing other aspects of production to the city. The truth of the matter is, production shoots happen at a high rate in Hamilton as compared to neighboring cities (i.e. Burlington, Waterloo, London, Guelph, etc) If a production studio or post company is going to open an office or smaller studio in a neighboring city, why is out of the realm of possibility that it could be Hamilton?

A big reason for the City getting excited about production in Hamilton is accredited to Guillermo Del Toro's comments about the city and his wish to open a production studio in Hamilton, coupled with the fact that the Shape of Water won Best Picture.

We're never going to be Toronto in terms of having a robust film industry within the City. Not even close. However, it's not out of the realm of possibility to believe that we can get to a point where Hamilton isn't just a city where production shoots happen, but also a City where other aspects of production can also happen.

I mentioned this in my last post. I'm a Hamiltonian and I'll remain optimistic and hopeful for growth within the city.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
A lot of exteriors are shot in Hamilton, yes. However, you would be surprised at the amount of actual scripted interior and exterior scenes have been shot here within the last several months. There's one interior scene in particular that will shoot in the New Year within the city that will be the climax of a big budget, potential Oscar Contending film.
I was wondering what they were filming in Gate of India the other day, so they are definitely shooting interior.

I am curious what this movie will be and when it is shooting though in the New Year, I like to go visit the set. I got a cool shot from the TV show filming on Catherine St flipping a car.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I was wondering what they were filming in Gate of India the other day, so they are definitely shooting interior.

I am curious what this movie will be and when it is shooting though in the New Year, I like to go visit the set. I got a cool shot from the TV show filming on Catherine St flipping a car.
Send me a DM and I can let you visit the set in the New Year. it's a large film production.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
They always say stuff like this "NOBODY IS GOING TO BUY THESE" as if issues won't ever go away, plus with 3000 new people in the area attacking the city for these issues, it will get fixed up real quick.
Unfortunately, we have a large anti-development group in Hamilton. The majority of posters on this forum are in favor of large-scale development in Hamilton, specifically high-rise.

However, this group I'm referring to continuously creates unnecessary roadblocks to getting these large-scale, high-profile developments off the ground.

The developers and consultants behind this project are beyond proven in the industry. They build exceptional quality buildings, inside and out. They have also already built a similar development on Queens Quay in Downtown Toronto, proving they can build on a waterfront with exceptional results.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 12:04 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Watch for work opportunities at Piers 5 to 7, HHCA crowd told

CITY OF HAMILTON — The land at Piers 6 and 7 on Hamilton’s waterfront has been zoned as Waterfront Commercial. Philbert Kim, senior consultant for the West Harbour Disposition Strategy with the City of Hamilton, told members of the Hamilton-Halton Construction Association recently that once public infrastructure work is done, the private sector will be invited to develop complementary commercial uses such as markets, a public plaza or a boutique hotel.
-from daily commercial news

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 1:50 AM

This ended up being larger than I planned...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 2:06 AM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 2:26 AM

Anyone want to take a guess at the settlement?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 10:27 AM

Hamilton is really unlucky that local crank Herman Turkstra also happens to be a great municipal law attorney.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues