HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I found this online today:

http://www.detroitriverfront.org/

I've long said that a few simple steps could bring a lot more activity and life to our waterfront.
1. A carousel. Kids love it and what better way to revitalize an area than to get kids loving it.
2. Bike rentals. Add boat/peddleboat rentals as well at our waterfront.
3. Interactive water fountains. Awesome in heat like this.
4. Cafes/eateries. More options. Hutch's and Williams are good, but it's time for more.

Also, all of these things could be done downtown too. My kids LOVE the small merry-go round in Gore Park each Christmas.

Hamilton needs to plan some small, but important steps like this instead of always focusing on massive projects.
Just got this email from McHattie's office. Just the sort of thing you're talking about:

Ainslie Wood Westdale,

A very interesting Bazaar featuring "Made in Hamilton" artwork starts tomorrow and continues every Saturday throughout the summer. See below for details and feel free to pass along to your email contacts.

Thanks!

Dale

****** please advise if you do not want to be on the Ainslie Wood Westdale email list ************

-----Original Message-----
From: Meaghan McGregor [mailto:meaghan.mcgregor@gmail.com]
Sent: June 6, 2008 9:28 AM
To: info@sabawoon.ca
Subject: It begins tomorrow in Hamilton

Hamiltonians

When tomorrow dawns, the Sabawoon (sab-a-woon) Bazaar will emerge on the Hamilton waterfront.

On the rolling green hills outside the Discovery Centre, under the shade of the carousel tents, artists & craftspeople from around the globe who now live (or were born) in Hamilton are selling their original artworks.There are weavers and textile artists; painters and print makers; potters and sculptors; jewelers and ceramic artists to hand-bound Venetian journal making; graffiti art and fresh flowers.

Enjoy the lively atmosphere of an ever-changing local Bazaar selling one-of-a-kind, high quality and affordable artwork that is "Made in Hamilton".

It begins tomorrow and continues every Saturday, 11am - 5pm, throughout the summer.

Visit http://www.sabawoon.ca/index.html for more details.

Please forward to friends and fellow Hamiltonians. This is about creating a new local economy that truly reflects and supports the artistic, social and cultural diversity on offer in our city.

With thanks and see you at the Sabawoon,

meaghan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ Everyone loved the historic corrousel (sp?) at Port Dalhousie before they tore it down. That thing was an attraction in itself!
http://www.stcatharines.ca/recreatio...f_carousel.asp

Looks like it is still up and running, according to the above link. I certainly hope it was not torn down!!!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:54 PM
Closed account

^^ Sweet! I hope it is, too. I haven't been to Port in probably like 3 years. I love the area tho... I wonder if they're still building that completely-out-of-place condo tower?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
I wonder if they're still building that completely-out-of-place condo tower?
From skyscrapercity.com contributor, xzmattzx:

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=1053043

www.PortDalhousie.ca

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 12:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

Boating clubs await city's proposal

January 12, 2009
Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/494616

Today is D-day for Hamilton's waterfront boating community.

For the first time during the revitalization planning process, city councillors will decide whether to support the idea of encouraging boating clubs to share facilities.

It's a contentious issue that pits a city plan, which called for clubs to come together in a marina centre, against organizations along the waterfront who say they don't want to move.

The clubs own the buildings they occupy, but are on leased city land. City staff said a lot of the leases expire in 2016 and 2018.

That gives the city the opportunity to shuffle the businesses as it strives to revamp the waterfront.

The area in question stretches from Bayfront Park to Pier 8.

The initial city plan was so divisive that the Hamilton Waterfront Trust developed an alternative plan, which many organizations on the waterfront say they prefer. It proposed leaving all facilities but one in their current place.

Now, after months of looking for common ground, city staff are coming to council seeking a thumbs up on a set of guiding principles they will use to develop the final plan.

Jill Stephen, director of strategic and environmental planning with the city, said staff still think the idea of clubs sharing some facilities is a good one, but it's too soon to tell what that would look like.

"We can't get to that stage of the plan until we know that council is buying into this overreaching philosophy that we have for how we should approach the next stages of the plan," she said.

But Martin Lipp, past-president of the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club, who will represent the Waterfront Stakeholders' Group to councillors today, said the consolidation idea isn't sitting well on the waterfront.

"There's some really major cultural differences between the organizations," he said. "And although they get along really well, and they support each other, there really is an element of, if you like, 'Good fences make good neighbours.'"

In addition to encouraging shared facilities, city staff are also proposing other changes, including increasing the amount of commercial space on the waterfront and maintaining the existing shoreline as much as possible.

There also have been concerns raised over the $81.5-million price tag on the city plan.

Councillor Chad Collins, who chairs the waterfront trust, questions who would pay for the plan to build new facilities for private operations.

Collins said there's also still disagreement over the amount of commercial space that should be present. The trust has proposed 130,000 square feet and the city is proposing a revised 75,000 square feet.

"With that comes jobs and new tax dollars and that's something that this community really needs," he said.

But John Dolbec, CEO of the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, said neither proposal goes far enough when it comes to private-sector opportunities.

Dolbec also cautioned about trying to entice private investors to the waterfront, while shuffling private organizations already there around.

Still, others aren't sure that anything needs to be done to improve the waterfront.

George Gage, president of the Leander Boat Club, said the waterfront is operating nicely the way it is.

Area resident Herman Turkstra agrees.

"I've come to understand how very skilled the people were who laid out what we have without a whole lot of fuss and muss and without big, grandiose plans," Turkstra said.

After council makes its decision, staff will develop a revised plan, which should be available to the public before summer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:33 PM

I've always wondered why they have to screw with the yacht club people. The waterfront is successful at the moment, I like seeing all the yachts. They've been there all along, before the bayfront was improved. Just leave them alone!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 2:37 PM

Waterfront is Public property.

Yes, the marinas have rights and have been there awhile. However, Hamilton is growing and changing for the better and the waterfront is pivotal.
If the North end is to change we need more access, and a draw for tourists like canoe/kayak rentals, paddle boats, swimming and picnic areas. The Marinas are very spread out semi inclusive. We need public docking and destinations like restaurants and entertainment.
So the boat people may have to consolidate.
An example of a partial success plan or developing project is:
many waterfront dwellers on the Beach strip forgot that it was Ontario lakes and land and thought they owned or had exclusive rights from the street to the water. there were many upset to actually share their percieved "entitlement". The 5 km waterfront or beach trail was built or improved from Hutches" to the lift bridge and what a great paved trail we have. It must be preety good because I see the Roller Blades relay teams practice there. It may return to the 1920's as a local beach destination and with condo's and improved water quality a short daytrip for Hamilton families to go swimming instead of driving hours to Sauble or Wasaga.
We have to learn to share what our tax dollars are paying for.
It is an eye sore the leg of the Bayfront trail from Pier4 to Bayfront park. If there was a band shell at Bayfront imagine the opportunity to have festivals to celebrate our harbour heritage.
Don't forget at one time there was a shanty town there.
Hamilton has so much and must draw inwards the shuttle bus from down town to the harbour wants to highlight the waterfront not the sprawl of out dated boat clubs.
Give them some assistance to draw watercraft as a destination and other clubs will have exclusive docking, dining and maybe lodging. Just time to tighten up the stakeholders and share.
We need more ramps for boat launching and parking so more people will get involved in fishing and boating.
Celebrate OUR harbour.

Last edited by bornagainbiking; Jan 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM. Reason: typo must lift my head

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 5:15 PM

Couldn't agree more. I have enjoyed many an afternoon at the Hamilton waterfront, but would likely have enjoyed more if I could have, for instance, actually had a view of the beautiful harbour for the entirety of the walk, or had access to more on-site amenities than a Williams Coffee Pub that is ridiculously over-crowded in decent weather, as well as rather mediocre (speaking as someone who loves downtown Hamiltonian cuisine) and over-priced.

I'm also speaking as one who is temporarily living in Vancouver. I'm certainly prepared to give each city its due, but Vancouver has a much more organized, contiguous, integrated and democratic (significant for a city often rightfully criticized for being too expensive to live in) waterfront, and it pays huge dividends in promoting tourism, boosting property tax revenues, and getting people out of their cars and onto bikes, rollerblades, or their own two feet. Hamilton's waterfront is beautiful, but could be so much better.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 5:20 PM

I should add that a significant section of the harbour lacks a sidewalk (you now, that part where you have to walk beside a chain-link fence). I'm sure even flar would agree that that at least would have to change! Am I right?

Also, I'm sure that any future configuration would still preserve the current number of yachts for your viewing pleasure - and others, surely.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:06 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Over time, as the industrial use along the bay decreases, will the area used for recreational use and residential use expand westwards?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:29 PM

^^Westwards, probably. Eastwards, I don't know. Westwards is also a possible site for a new stadium.

I agree to some extent that there should be a continuous trail and more public access, I just don't see the need to alienate current users, and it also depends on what exactly they replace the marinas with.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 2:00 AM

Waterfront harmony

To go west is easier and maybe use Princess Point to rent Bikes, blades and personal powered watercraft. The locals or Western residents could use princes point access (All free parking).
I didn't mean to close the marinas just tighten it up. Streamline it, build out and modernize. The Leander is a great size place and we need the RH sailing for the future. Just relocate the boat storage between Pier4 and Bayfront parks. And get rid of that huge warehouse across from Williams Coffee.
Williams is way overpriced and needs competition. Open a few hot dog carts or a classy chip wagon (is that possible) or at least something until permanent business is established.
When we have family from out of country a harbour ride and a ice cream is nice with a breeze off the water with a view of Burlington.
maybe set up a helicopter pad towards HMCS Star or Haida and offer harbour flights.
The boat people are very important, and i have heard of some people who buy a boat and use it like a cottage. Imagine $50,000 for a boat and a couple thou to dock it. plug it in and you have a home on the water.
No driving to speak of and all the advantages.
Sure beats a 2-3 hr drive to the cottage and pay taxes or a lease in Sauble.
We should have more house boats!

Last edited by bornagainbiking; Jan 13, 2009 at 2:01 AM. Reason: addition

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Boat clubs get a break: city won't force them to move

January 13, 2009
Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/495198

Hamilton's boat clubs are staying put.

City council rejected yesterday a controversial proposal to encourage the waterfront groups to share a facility as part of the plan to revamp the west harbour.

Instead, the city will renegotiate long-term leases with the clubs, which will require more public access and upgrades to their facilities.

"They get to retain their identities and we get better access to public property," said Councillor Chad Collins, who pushed the compromise developed by the Hamilton Waterfront Trust.

A consultant's recommendation to combine the facilities had sparked outrage among members who feared their clubs' unique characters and histories would be lost.

Former Royal Hamilton Yacht Club president Martin Lipp, who represented the Waterfront Stakeholders' Group, told councillors the plan would be like having a Tim Hortons, Second Cup and Starbucks under one roof.

"Would you do that if it was your Starbucks?" he asked, noting the various clubs might survive but wouldn't thrive.

Collins said he's also worried the city would be on the hook for the clubs' relocation and new building. By allowing the clubs to stay put and mandating that they fix up their properties, the city will likely take millions off the plan's price tag, he said.

The original plan was priced at $81.5 million, but city staff plan to re-examine the cost based on the latest changes.

Council voted to toss out the consultant's plan completely, in favour of the alternative plan developed by the Waterfront Trust. Both plans covered the area from Bayfront Park to Pier 8.

Werner Plessl, the trust's executive director, suspects the process will move quickly now that the city has eliminated the major bone of contention for the boat clubs.

"It's going to give the community a better plan," he said. "I think there's an opportunity to move forward."

The city must still decide what to do with MacDonald Marine, which was not included in the trust plan.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 6:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Think Hamilton could ever afford to replace the waterfront trail with perhaps colour cement or bricks instead of black asphalt?

Something like this from our neighbour....

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:56 PM
Closed account

Don't let's ask for the moon, We have the stars.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 8:16 PM

I hope not. The interlocking brick is terrible for roller blading on which is what alot of people use the waterfront trails for. They do have some brick over in peir 4 park.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 2:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

NHL is nice, but Pier 8 is Hamilton's future

June 06, 2009
Terry Cooke
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/article/578540

Call it the tale of two leases. Coincidentally, both involve regulation-size NHL ice surfaces in the City of Hamilton. That is where the similarity ends.

The higher-profile lease offer has received saturation level media coverage and will be decided by an Arizona Judge who likely couldn't find Hamilton on a map. Meanwhile, the Hamilton Waterfront Trust has quietly consummated a 45-year lease with the federal government enabling the redevelopment of a critical piece of the West Harbour.

It's entirely possible that the second of these two leases will prove to be more important to the future of Hamilton than the first.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Jim Balsillie bring hockey to Hamilton. But in reality the city has absolutely no ability to control the outcome of that process beyond agreeing to make Copps Coliseum available on reasonable terms and success remains at best a 50/50 proposition.

But thanks to the efforts of the Waterfront Trust and Parks Canada, the city now controls the fate of the public portion of Pier 8 and is committed to transforming the site by 2010 into a year-round destination for recreation, entertainment, art and eating.

In many ways, Pier 8 represents the bridge to Hamilton's future. The waterfront remains our most valuable and underutilized public asset and Pier 8 is strategically located in the middle of it.

Its transition to a year-round people place promises not only to reconnect Hamiltonians to their waterfront, but also provides momentum to pursue redevelopment of several other strategic public and private assets that will ultimately stretch all the way from the water's edge to downtown.

Pier 8 is already home to a wildly popular William's Coffee Pub, the successful Waterfront Trolley and the architecturally interesting but eerily quiet Parks Canada (formerly Marine) Discovery Centre.

The concept plans for Pier 8 strike exactly the right balance between public access and private amenities. The focal points include an ice rink, amphitheatre, art plaza and several new restaurants.

The NHL-size refrigerated ice pad with a Zamboni and a wind screen will provide recreational skating for fully 20 weeks a year. In the summertime the hard surface will accommodate a wide range of uses from an artisan's market to rollerblading.

The grassed amphitheatre will host smaller scale community/musical events while doubling as a passive play area for kids. The Sculpture Plaza will be located at the entrance to the Discovery Centre and will help to integrate the entire site with a piece of publically commissioned art.

The three new restaurants will be accommodated in a single building constructed to architecturally complement the Discovery Centre.

The restaurants will be privately operated in a revenue sharing deal with the Waterfront Trust and Parks Canada.

Councillor Chad Collins has been a consistent champion of waterfront renewal. "The Pier 8 lease agreement and redevelopment plan is a huge step forward in reshaping the image of Hamilton," he says. "Now we need to work with the Port Authority to free up adjacent, underused industrial properties to build on that momentum."

Collins sees a future for condos and commercial buildings on Port Authority land right next door to add density while taking advantage of the new waterfront amenities.

Who knows, maybe Balsillie will prevail in court and we will get an NHL team to fulfil that other lease. That would obviously be a big bonus.

But in the meantime, we should be thankful about the lease that has already been signed and is guaranteed to change our waterfront forever.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 4:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

Really exciting and excellent news.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 4:49 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Loving this. Hamilton's waterfront is awesome!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 9:10 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I love how there;s people skating and patio umbrellas out. That rendering cant be taken seriously

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues