HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:35 AM

To be fair, unless he's allowing the property to decay and affect other businesses, he's not doing anything wrong. He is merely not developing his assets to their potential. Why? Who knows. Maybe he's happy with the $75,000 a year. But I think, while we shouldn't expropriate this, it would be great if the city could help a coop to buy and renovate the building. Ideally, this would involve the coop buying the building and renovating, including an apartment or two and a performing arts centre. Ideally the money for the renovation would come from the city, and the money from the apartments and a minimal rent from arts centre (maybe set at 5% of revenue), together providing an incentive for the coop to allow an arts centre that can not likely pay market rates to be a tenant.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 2:05 AM

The state of Treble Hall

Hey all. Here's a report on the state of the building. Sadly, it's really bad.

We entered through Pagoda Restaurant. I'd never been in there before and would never again, especially after seeing the kitchen! The 2nd floor of the building is ENTIRELY taken up by Pagoda, who use it for storage and fridges. The 2nd floor is where the hall would have been, but it's hard to imagine what it would have looked like completely opened up. But it was definitely never a "theatre", just a big open 2nd floor that's now all broken up into smaller rooms.

A small set of stairs lead up to the 3rd floor which was boarding rooms. A mixture of VERY small rooms [barely enough for a bed and a dresser] and larger rooms with washrooms and kitchens built in. I suppose all this could have been in worse shape. Structurally it seems somewhat sound. No sagging floors or collapsing ceilings, but in need of tones of TLC. I never went up to the attic [one of my partners did]. There are two staircases leading up to 2 separate apartments.

The deal is that apparently the owner bought the building for his wife 50 years ago to run. This is why he's been so reluctant to sell. He has some emotional attachment, but is family is pushing him to let it go.

It doesn't suit my or my partner's needs at all. Actually a bit relieved. I had visions of a theatre upstairs and a great opportunity that although at the top of our budget, would have been impossible to pass up. Happily/Sadly that's not the case.

Here are some photos regardless:

North End of 3rd story hallway looking South towards king. Boarding rooms on both sides.

Room in North West corner of 3rd floor on John Street.

Staircase to 4th floor at the South end of 3rd floor.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 2:50 AM

Doesn't look to bad. Happy to hear the owners family is pushing him to sell it. push away.

Thanks for the photos.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 5:23 AM
Needs more coffee...

Unfortunate that it wasn't suited to your needs - at least it's nice to hear there's parties like yourself taking interest in the buildings and that it's structurally sound.

Those little "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" style rooms just chill my blood... especially since many, many people still live in similar conditions here.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 8:06 AM
Hammer'd

Thanks a ton for the pics. Very much appreciated. The place looks like it's in a sorry condition
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 2:31 PM

After this the agent took us to another viewing. It's was the Hobo Hardware building. It's mammoth, and you could probably get it for $600K. If it was even 1/4 the size it would still be way more space than we would need. Perfect for a small studio, but I would never try that after what happened with Steelworks and the old Studebaker factory. Plus the area is dodgy. You've got the brand new Hamilton General buildings going up just up the street and crummy housing all around.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 5:25 PM

11th indian
thats why you need to buy that building because every positive influence brought in will affect the surrounding areas.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 6:34 PM

Investment in the city is very much on my mind as we look at our options. The lack of development with some forethought in this city drives me nuts. However, while I'm all for making an investment in a "developing" area, I do have to keep the short term in mind with regards to our cliental. The rows of crummy housing right next door just isn't going to work.

If I had unlimited resources, I'd be developing the Century theatre for my purposes, but sadly it's just not in the cards. But there are lots of great property opportunities in the city, and our search is only just begining.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 7:26 PM
Hammer'd

Indeed you must keep that in mind. I'm sure there's still many excellent potential properties, and you'll eventually find the one that's perfect for you.

I really wish Century was more than a possibility. Even if the price was right though, I know first hand that place is nearly ready to fall over. It would require millions just to make the place safe, let alone renovate/restore it properly.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 8:58 PM
Closed account

Thanks for the pics and for keeping us in the loop on your search. Sounds very interesting.

There was definitely a theatre on the 2nd or 3rd floor at some point. The former owners of the Staircase scoped it out before they decided on the Dundurn location.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 9:29 PM

If there was ever anything resembling a theatre on the second floor there is no trace of it now. The way it looks the second floor was just a large open "Hall" before the walls were put up. No firm seating or stage in any way, shape, or form. The building is actually fairly narrow east to west. Even as a hall it wouldn't have been very large.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 3:54 AM
BANNED

I don't even think you would find a lender that would give you a mortgage on this place. It looks like one big fire trap.

On the upside, Pizza Pizza is a pretty good tenant.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:28 PM

work begins!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Excellent!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hammer'd

So glad to see this. I can't wait to watch it transform.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:16 AM

a friend of mine is closely involved in this project. a rumour is that the second floor is a large hall the new owner wants to restore to a concert hall.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 6:54 PM

They are covering windows with what looks like an awesome political message:

I will transcribe it once it's all up.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Vacant and dilapidated buildings are dangerous both physically and psychologically. A dilapidated building can fall down, catch fire and attract vermin and filth. They make the surrounding area unsavoury and potentially unsafe. Building owners who don't take adequate care of their building, vacant or otherwise, demonstrate huge disrespect to our city, to other building owners and to all people visiting and living here. Dealing harshly with those responsible is worthy of support and praise.

- Howard Elliott, Managing Editor Hamilton Spectator

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 10:52 PM

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. We need more of this.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 9:54 AM

Brilliant indeed. Absolutely!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues