HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:11 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Dubai, Lighthouse Tower, 400m/1312ft, 66fl

Dubai International Financial Centre launches DIFC Lighthouse Tower

The Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) announced the launch of DIFC Lighthouse Tower, a landmark 400-metre luxury office tower that will be constructed in the heart of the DIFC District, adjacent to the famous 'Gate' building.
United Arab Emirates: 1 hour, 50 minutes ago PRESS RELEASE

Environmentally sensitive design to set benchmark for energy conservation.

The gross leasable floor area of the project will be 90,000 square metres.

A beacon of modernity, the Lighthouse will be characterised by special external lighting features that will distinguish it from all other high-rise buildings in Dubai. As well, the approved environmentally sensitive design of the tower will include provisions for various applications for renewable energy, reduced carbon emissions and energy saving techniques.

His Excellency Dr. Omar Bin Sulaiman, Governor of DIFC, said:
'The launch of the DIFC Lighthouse Tower, the newest landmark on the skyline of Dubai comes in line with our objective with the ongoing expansion of the DIFC and concomitant growth of the emirate, this tower will help meet the burgeoning demand for high-quality office space in the heart of our thriving community.'

He continued: 'The unique design of this slender tower will make it stand out, especially at night, when the external lighting will serve, like a lighthouse, to attract the admiration of residents and visitors alike. We are particularly proud of the project's environmentally friendly and sensitive design, which will set a new benchmark for energy conservation in the region.'

Some Old Renders:

Article and amazing renders from http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...&upload_id=998

Atkins strives for low carbon precedent

Low carbon commercial towers may one day become a reality in Dubai thanks to international consultants Atkins, whose Middle East operation is currently undertaking the concept design for ‘The Lighthouse’, located in the heart of the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC). In setting a new benchmark for Dubai, the 400-metre luxury office tower aspires to be a low carbon commercial building which aims to reduce its total energy consumption by up to 65% and water consumption by up to 40%. This will be achieved through the use of passive solar architecture, many low energy, low water engineering solutions, recovery strategies for both energy and water and building integrated renewables – including large scale wind turbines and photovoltaics. During the development of the design Atkins will map and manage the embodied energy content of the building and select materials from sustainable sources, so that impact on global resources is controlled. Already this is leading designers to consider a steel frame solution for this structure. Additionally, features such as floorplates interconnected by micro-atria and the inclusion of inter connecting vertical gardens are being actively considered to enhance the social aspects of this building. From the early stages of the project, Atkins will work closely with DIFC to establish and rigorously evaluate options for achieving a low carbon building before making final recommendations. Inspired by the rectilinear context and simple minimalist lines of the existing DIFC precinct, as well as the client’s requirement of creating a ‘lighthouse’ for DIFC, the building generates active energy through three integrated 29m diameter wind turbines. To optimise performance and operational periods, the turbines have windward directional wind vanes or limited yaw and the spandrel glazing sections of the south facing vertical façade incorporate 4000 photo voltaic panels. This unique building, with a total construction area of 140,000 sq m, will become a working prototype for low carbon towers within the region and a model for more sustainable developments in the future. Features: 400m high; 66-storey commercial office tower; three 29m diameter, 225 KV wind turbines; 4000 PV spandrel panels; 84,000 sq m of commercial space as well as basement and podium parking, convention centres, retail, environmental visitor centre and a park connecting to the DIFC central spine.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:18 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Of course ironic this being built in Dubai which has one of the most energy consumption / person rate in the world. Interesting that this could be entirely or almost entirely self sufficient in terms of energy. Thing is though, how much will this cost to build and maintain, and is it worth it for only 84k sq.m of office space? Probably not but the world needs projects like these. Projects with a big budget where new techiniques and technologies can be tested.

BTW just out of curiosity, has any self sufficient highrise (in terms of energy production only, not waste disposal, etc) been built yet? Don't know and just wondering

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:38 AM
Ascension

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Hearst Tower in NYC is self sufficient.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:52 AM
FriskyDingo

Does this tower remind anyone else of the eye tower, soromon or something, in the lord of the rings movies?

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 1:50 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

^ Indeed! I knew it looked familiar!

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 3:21 AM
BANNED

And the ludicrous, impractical and butt-ugly Dubai building designs keep coming...

This one needs a twin a few miles down the road, and then a highway suspended between them. Oh, and don't forget to make it the world's widest and tallest road. Plus, add a sundial and a 1000 foot assymetrical spire on each tower. Then it'll be perfect!

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 9:23 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
And the ludicrous, impractical and butt-ugly Dubai building designs keep coming...
Umm, how about some reasons? I'm sure if I removed "dubai" from the title and put in any other city you'd be saying something different.

Sure it's impractical (in terms of cost) but I posted this here because I don't think I've ever seen something like this been done before at this scale. I just read that the Hearst tower in NYC consumes about 25% less energy than normal. This aims to consume 65% less than normal, quite a bit more if you ask me. Then you have the three wind turbines and a load of solar panels which I don't know if they will, but maybe they'll be able to provide the energy for the remaining 35%.
If this is true that'd make it self-sufficient so that during a blackout this would still be able to operate. Sure it'll be very costly but the point is, this'll probably test new techniques and technologies, etc if these numbers are to become a reality. If this does work I'm sure whatever they use will be used in many more towers around the world.

Last edited by malec; May 6, 2007 at 9:52 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:08 PM
brooklyn~to~cairo

'Technically' it's a quite inspiring design- but then they release these renderings and talk about water conservation? And to add green to white, the selling point is how well lighted it is?

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:

This one needs a twin a few miles down the road, and then a highway suspended between them. Oh, and don't forget to make it the world's widest and tallest road. Plus, add a sundial and a 1000 foot assymetrical spire on each tower. Then it'll be perfect!
^^ It's people like this that prevent positive human changes to occur in a world and age where such opportunity and possiblility is ever more available and abundant. Equally the type of backward people that are afraid of change. People need to open their eyes and see reality come into being rather than live in their own fantasy or version of reality and continuously resist what is actually happening.

Firstly, you haven't defined reasons why Dubai is "ludicrous", "impractical", or "butt-ugly". Therefore your statement is absurd. For such individuals who continuously detest and find Dubai "butt-ugly", the only thing that's "butt-ugly" is the words and imagination of such individuals, for if that were not the case.

In my dictionary there is no longer such thing as beautiful or ugly, because it depends on points of view of people which have nothing in relation to reality.

Economically impractical? I believe not, I see it as investment, and therefore very much practical.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 1:42 PM

^Yeah, how dare he have an opinion!

He has a Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40336730@N08/

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 2:30 PM

I actually kind of like it, although the designs gracing the front are a bit awkward

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 3:09 PM
Hazza!

I think its a pretty cool design. The geometric pattern over the glass i think is a bit much, but otherwise I like it. I wonder why there aren't windows on the side of the building though.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 3:11 PM
World Machine

Something different and innovative. I think if Dubai is going to erect another 1,o00 footer, this is the way to go. Something not only beneficial to the eye, but also the city and the inhabitants of the building itself. The design itself is very interesting and creative. I think if built it will make a nice addition, and possibly be the start to a whole new breed of skyscrapers!

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 3:26 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

I think the geometric designs on the facade are what make the wind turbines not stick out like a sore thumb at the top. It's an interesting, innovative design and a positive impact to the skyline.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 3:49 PM
FriskyDingo

Does this tower remind anyone else of the eye tower, soromon or something, in the lord of the rings movies?

Quote:

HAHA! I think they should also put a giant laser in the center of the eye in order to smote the enemies of Dubai.

Last edited by ATLksuGUY; May 6, 2007 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 4:24 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
I think its a pretty cool design. The geometric pattern over the glass i think is a bit much, but otherwise I like it. I wonder why there aren't windows on the side of the building though.
It's because that's the side where the sun shines the most and they want to reduce heat gain as much as possible

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 5:06 PM
BANNED

I propose closing this thread as has a similar one in Proposals for the same tower. Why having 2 for same Thema???

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:45 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmillenium View Post
I propose closing this thread as has a similar one in Proposals for the same tower. Why having 2 for same Thema???
Just stop your nonsense, they fall into both categories, so whats the harm. Besides no one is doing anything that would alter the closing of this thread.
Your not a moderator so just relax!

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 12:48 AM
Hazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvandrake View Post
I think the geometric designs on the facade are what make the wind turbines not stick out like a sore thumb at the top.
aah, I would have to agree with this point. Although i wonder how much of a neccessity larger turbines are. I have been hearing alot recently about the power output by arrays of small turbines that would be much easier to incorporate into architectural design. I wonder how much of a benifit the larger turbines pose over the smaller ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
It's because that's the side where the sun shines the most and they want to reduce heat gain as much as possible
I see. That certainly makes sense, but seems too bad. With such a slender building it seems ot have tha capacity to make nearly all the office space within it window space, whcih is just good for everyones mental health.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 3:45 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

this building is horrible!!! ugh..
i like the whole green idea but eww
and it looks like they tried to make it look like that ugly building next to it i forgot what its called but its square, has a huge whole in the middle, and has 2 fat legs
i think they tried to copy La Grand Arch but failed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture