HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2061  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 5:19 PM
JakeLRS JakeLRS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 251
Swoops Winter Schedule:

Hamilton - Edmonton 4x weekly.

Everything else (Abbotsford, Halifax, and all seasonal destinations from last summer) have been axed.

It’s like we’ve seen this all before...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2062  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 10:38 PM
shoelessjoe shoelessjoe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9
Swoop's entire reason for existing has been upended by the Pandemic and the global collapse in demand for air travel. When Westjet was filling up it's own aircraft out of YYZ creating Swoop as a ULCC beachhead at YHM made sense on multiple levels -- containing the growth of Flair and discouraging the start-up of any other similar operators. Now that the industry is in turmoil the chance of a new entrant being capitalized is next to nil for the time being and with Westjet's own loads tanking with everyone else, they obviously made the decision to drop a "lower cost" product into YYZ -- where presumably losses may at least be reduced. In some ways in marks some degree of the ceding of YYZ/Central/Eastern Canada to AC, where Westjet has always been the #2 player (and #3 on some routes where it competes with Porter). During times like these airlines tend to retreat somewhat to their areas of strength -- for Westjet that's Western Canada. As an added bonus they are likely hoping to drive Flair away for good. An additional variable is that the GTAA has (and will continue to be) very aggressive/predatory on luring airlines into YYZ (AC and Westjet pay bulk landing fees for instance). Swoop worked well from YHM -- times change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2063  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:30 AM
swimmer_spe swimmer_spe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
Swoop's entire reason for existing has been upended by the Pandemic and the global collapse in demand for air travel. When Westjet was filling up it's own aircraft out of YYZ creating Swoop as a ULCC beachhead at YHM made sense on multiple levels -- containing the growth of Flair and discouraging the start-up of any other similar operators. Now that the industry is in turmoil the chance of a new entrant being capitalized is next to nil for the time being and with Westjet's own loads tanking with everyone else, they obviously made the decision to drop a "lower cost" product into YYZ -- where presumably losses may at least be reduced. In some ways in marks some degree of the ceding of YYZ/Central/Eastern Canada to AC, where Westjet has always been the #2 player (and #3 on some routes where it competes with Porter). During times like these airlines tend to retreat somewhat to their areas of strength -- for Westjet that's Western Canada. As an added bonus they are likely hoping to drive Flair away for good. An additional variable is that the GTAA has (and will continue to be) very aggressive/predatory on luring airlines into YYZ (AC and Westjet pay bulk landing fees for instance). Swoop worked well from YHM -- times change.
WJ used to operate out of Hamilton till it could move most of it's operations to Pearson. I wonder if WJ will reduce things further and can Swoop all together.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2064  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:14 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
WJ used to operate out of Hamilton till it could move most of it's operations to Pearson. I wonder if WJ will reduce things further and can Swoop all together.
I think that's exactly what will happen if other low-cost carriers are pushed out of the market (or don't even make it off the ground... there were a couple of others planning to launch pre-COVID, weren't there?).

Swoop was probably intended from the get-go to kill the upstart competition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2065  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 2:53 PM
Zmonkey Zmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
WJ used to operate out of Hamilton till it could move most of it's operations to Pearson. I wonder if WJ will reduce things further and can Swoop all together.
The big shift to Toronto back then was the business travel people were taking AirCanada out of Calgary and Edmonton. If you want business travel you need to be at Pearson.

Wonder how much of an effect Flair is having running out of Toronto, is Swoop losing people in the GTA who would just rather fly on Fliar since they don't need to make the ride out to Hamilton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2066  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 4:53 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 19,098
If it wasn't for COVID-19 I'm sure Swoop would have still offered USA, Mexico and Caribbean routes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2067  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 7:38 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,203
I was hoping to use them to head to Vegas at some point - I hope that returns post-COVID.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2068  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 9:34 PM
SteelTown's Avatar
SteelTown SteelTown is offline
It's Hammer Time
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 19,098
I used Swoop three times for a Vegas trip. The only difference is that in Pearson you can get pre-security clearance and therefore you land at Vegas domestic terminal. Whereas, with Swoop you have to enter the international terminal and therefore it's more walking and takes awhile to exit the place.

Each time I used Swoop to Vegas, the plane was either full or nearly full. So I can't see them taking away YHM to LAS permanently. Even before Swoop, WestJet was doing YHM to LAS.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2069  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 9:09 PM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 2,272
DHL update

DHL @ YHM 02 Sept 2020 - 2 [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152405135@N06/]

DHL @ YHM 02 Sept 2020 - 1 url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152405135@N06/]

DHL @ YHM 02 Sept 2020[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152405135@N06/]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2070  
Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 9:21 PM
LikeHamilton's Avatar
LikeHamilton LikeHamilton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 2,272
Just some extra Pictures of YHM

YHM view from the sky August 2020 , From YHM Twitter

YHM 02 Sep 2020 - 02 ,

YHM 02 Sep 2020 - 01 ,

YHM 02 Sep 2020 - 03 ,
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2071  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:59 PM
SantaClo SantaClo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 48
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2072  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:59 PM
JakeLRS JakeLRS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 251
Hamilton scores a new Amazon fulfillment centre set to be located adjacent to the airport. 1500 new jobs being added to the city!

Last edited by JakeLRS; Sep 9, 2020 at 3:29 PM. Reason: numbers off
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2073  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:12 AM
Dr Awesomesauce's Avatar
Dr Awesomesauce Dr Awesomesauce is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BEYOND THE OUTER RIM
Posts: 5,666
Huge numbers!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2074  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 7:58 PM
Zmonkey Zmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I used Swoop three times for a Vegas trip. The only difference is that in Pearson you can get pre-security clearance and therefore you land at Vegas domestic terminal. Whereas, with Swoop you have to enter the international terminal and therefore it's more walking and takes awhile to exit the place.

Each time I used Swoop to Vegas, the plane was either full or nearly full. So I can't see them taking away YHM to LAS permanently. Even before Swoop, WestJet was doing YHM to LAS.
Don't be so sure. Airlines are about to get smaller, and we are going to have less flights in total. If Pearson worked out a deal with Swoop/West Jet to move over like they did with Flair they will be out there permanently.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2075  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 8:26 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Don't be so sure. Airlines are about to get smaller, and we are going to have less flights in total. If Pearson worked out a deal with Swoop/West Jet to move over like they did with Flair they will be out there permanently.
It will take a few years for them to rebound but by 2025 I expect the industry to be more or less back to the way it was in 2019.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2076  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:39 PM
JakeLRS JakeLRS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 251
Hamiltonians have clearly shown their frustration with swoop on social media. They have added back the Hamilton-Abbotsford route. Still nothing regarding Halifax.

Current Winter Schedule:
Hamilton to Edmonton - 4x/Weekly
Hamilton to Abbotsford - 4x/Weekly
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2077  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 6:02 PM
urban_planner urban_planner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Hamiltonians have clearly shown their frustration with swoop on social media. They have added back the Hamilton-Abbotsford route. Still nothing regarding Halifax.

Current Winter Schedule:
Hamilton to Edmonton - 4x/Weekly
Hamilton to Abbotsford - 4x/Weekly

Good
Most on the comments on social media after they YYZ announcement were not positive. A lot of people we're upset.
__________________
Check out my Photography Website of Local Images from Hamilton Ontario at www.facebook.com/raylovephotography
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.