HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 12:12 AM
Meh

You forgot the parking lots along Lamar around Whole Foods, although, all those are planned for development.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 12:23 AM
~Hook'em~

I don't really think of that area as being so much as downtown. Is it considered CBD zoned? I guess it probably is just always think of downtown as between the creeks and the area from Waterloo Records up to the Tavern as the Lamar/Shoal Creek area. Kinda like how West Campus is its own area. At least thats how my screwball mind thinks of it. =P

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 12:34 AM
~Hook'em~

Oh, I also just realized I missed a big garage that I should have marked right south of where they are building the new Federal Courthouse. =(

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
If you really want to see a totally decimated downtown, you dont have to look much further than Tulsa, OK.

With all the progress our cities have made in the past decade, they are still a mess and have a long long ways to go, its no more clear than by looking at these. You Canadians are lightyears ahead of us, you guys are lucky.

Sad but true. Tulsa's once had one of the densest populations west of the Mississippi and had more buildings of 10 stories or more than any other city its size in the US. We tore down half of our Art Deco buildings, HALF of them. We had the Art Deco Congress in Tulsa a few years ago and its said that one of the people from Europe said that our downtown looked like Potsdam after the war... except that we did it to ourselves.

Garrison Keillor was in town doing a show a couple years ago and said something to the effect... "You all have some beautiful buildings in your downtown. Its interesting how you have it set up now so that you can enjoy looking at each one individually."

But not all is lost. We do still have some magnificent treasures left and the last decade has seen a lot of them turned into new lofts, hotels, retail, restaurants, etc. Several new adaptive reuse projects are currently underway. And now we are finally seeing new construction beginning again. The corner has turned and downtown is on its way back. Hopefully we will not lose any more buildings. Though one beauty in particular, the Art Deco, Tulsa Club Building is in dire straits and could be in danger of being lost. http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_Afrsrg698010

To update the map a bit.
There is a large church expansion currently going in between 7&8th behind the Presbyterian church off Boston Ave. Both the wings and the courtyard are new additions now under construction.

There are several projects underway in the Brady Arts District, (to the left side in that map of downtown)

Under construction now at the corner of Brady and Archer is the Tribune Lofts II

Just to the "left" of that is an area that is currently being turned into a new park.

Underneath the park is going to be a Geothermal field which will help heat and cool several new nearby arts projects. One that just broke ground last month is the a new Visual Arts Center on the N E Corner of Boston and Archer.

Just down the street across from the new ballpark are some new lofts that will start soon at 2nd and Greenwood. And there are several other new loft projects in the area that are due to start soon as well.

Then one of the bigger projects that supposed to break ground late summer or early fall is the 20 story Cimarex Tower and a new Northwest Mutual Life building, both on the same lot right across from the BOK Arena. This is an old concept rendering before the recent news of the addition of more floors to the taller Cimarex building. The building in front of it is going to be the Northwest Mutual building.

But anyway, things have turned around and we are finally starting to get rid of some of those danged parking lots.

Oh, and the large patches to the far left of the map, those areas were once blighted homes that have been torn down and most of that is now owned by OSU Tulsa and hopefully the University will continue their expansion plans into those areas.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:14 AM
I am a typical

He's like me, but for Tulsa.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:46 AM
Closed account

Photo, what that horrible pic of Houston parking doesn't show is that the skyline to the right (out of the photo) was already very impressive. It was already getting that way in the 70s and exploded in the 80s. That's not to say that there wasn't (and isn't) too much surface parking.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:54 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Ill go back and redue my Houston map tomorrow including all the craptastic parking garages downtown. Almost all of downtown Houston will be red, and yeah, if people keep doing these, also mark just vacant lots and land in downtown thats not a park or anything, just wasted space thats blight but has potential of being developed one day.

And yeah Kevin, the are between the capitol and the start of UT is pretty much desolate wasteland. I was going to do one for Austin, but I couldnt fit everything I wanted into it without zooming out too far. Austin still has tons of parking lots scattered around everywhere downtown, especially the area in the gay bar district kinda by the new courthouse.
(comment deleted...Shasta covered it well)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 3:58 AM

Unhappy

Downtown LA

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:00 AM
Ex Houstonian

BevolJ map

Austin

I just made the above map and think you left out some parking lots and disgusting cement parking garages. I included in this map parking garages, even onces that are 6 or so stories tall because they look even worse in my opinion than just an empty lot. Theres plenty of them that totally ruin downtown Houston and parts of Austin and pretty much all American cities.

What they need to do is make huge underground parking garages like from this scene in iRobot, that would be kick ass.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1408&bih=678

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:23 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I don't really think of that area as being so much as downtown. Is it considered CBD zoned? I guess it probably is just always think of downtown as between the creeks and the area from Waterloo Records up to the Tavern as the Lamar/Shoal Creek area. Kinda like how West Campus is its own area. At least thats how my screwball mind thinks of it. =P
Yes it is. In fact, one of those parking lots is planned to have a 350 foot office tower on it. It's the block immediately east of the Whole Foods HQ and store.

Officially downtown is bordered by Lamar to the west, I-35 to the east, the river to the south, and 19th (MLK) to the north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland
I just made the above map and think you left out some parking lots and disgusting cement parking garages. I included in this map parking garages, even onces that are 6 or so stories tall because they look even worse in my opinion than just an empty lot. Theres plenty of them that totally ruin downtown Houston and parts of Austin and pretty much all American cities.
It should be noted that one "parking lot" that you highlighted isn't a parking lot at all, and is in fact the foundations of the old temporary capitol that was used between 1882 to 1888 while the existing Capitol was under construction. The half block at Congress & 11th Street is occupied by the foundation. The building later burned to the ground, and the ruins have been left intact. It will likely never be built on since it is a state historical landmark.

As for the huge parking lots and garages north of the Capitol, they are planned to be replaced. See here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...hlight=capitol

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
If you really want to see a totally decimated downtown, you dont have to look much further than Tulsa, OK.

With all the progress our cities have made in the past decade, they are still a mess and have a long long ways to go, its no more clear than by looking at these. You Canadians are lightyears ahead of us, you guys are lucky.
It looks lack an enormous parking lot with streets running through it and a smattering of buildings here and there.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It should be noted that one "parking lot" that you highlighted isn't a parking lot at all, and is in fact the foundations of the old temporary capitol that was used between 1882 to 1888 while the existing Capitol was under construction. The half block at Congress & 11th Street is occupied by the foundation. The building later burned to the ground, and the ruins have been left intact. It will likely never be built on since it is a state historical landmark.
But, that is a parking lot though, I just looked at it again. I know theres a little park along Congress that has historic landmark signs and such but the rest of the block is a parking lot. You are talking about the block that also has the old bakery building on it right?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 5:32 AM
Meh

Ok, you're right. The building ruins are under the trees on the east end of that block. I haven't been over there in ages.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:09 PM

That picture of Houston from the 80's is unreal! I got the post that said the actual CBD was cut off from the picture, but still, that's A LOT of surface parking so close to the downtown. Crazy.

That pic of Philly is embarrassing.

DC is great. Sure their economy is ridiculous but that 12 story height limit sure goes a long way in helping spread the wealth. Philly's top 5 tallest buildings are around 60 stories. I'd take 20 15-story buildings over five really tall buildings if it meant eliminating a dozen or so parking lots.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 8:01 PM

I thought I'd add one of my current home, San Diego. I'm sure I missed a few lots and garages but this should offer a general idea of the state of things.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 8:35 PM

Am I right in assuming that Manhattan has no surface parking lots?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 8:38 PM
cities|transit|croissants

^
No. It has some. They're just few and far between.

Pull up an aerial in google maps and zoom in to the far northern tip and several will immediately jump out.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 8:57 PM
It could be worse!

Thank you for covering San Diego, eburress. While the Marina is in relatively good shape, hopefully the next building boom will spread to the other areas. The City College is filling up some blocks nearby; the North Embarcadero plan should be (or is?) starting soon; and once the Nimbys lose lawsuit#34,467 the Navy Broadway Complex will be a nice addition to the waterfront. If the Chargers get a stadium built downtown that might kick off some much-needed gentrification nearby. North of Broadway, being further away from the downtown's main attractions (Petco Park, Gaslamp, Convention Center, etc.), will probably take longer to develop.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Am I right in assuming that Manhattan has no surface parking lots?
No, Manhattan actually has lots of surface parking lots. The far West side of Midtown is full of them. There are two seperate parking lots of 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues, right in the middle of "restaurant row". There are parking lots right in Midtown itself. And there are huge parking lots in Northern Manhattan.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 9:03 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Here you go. I took a shot at midtown Manhattan.

I couldn't find any in the central core or along the East River, but the Jersey-facing shore is littered with them. Interestingly, about half appear to be reserved for buses only (shown in yellow).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions