HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:40 PM

The prairies are generally thought of as boring landscape. But the idea, which two of you talked about, that having a wide open horizon is something that people from there would miss is something that has popped up in my mind. I think of it as Big Sky Country, which is a term more associated with Montana, but I think the same concept applies.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I hate my hometown so...

I don't really care that much about this in general, It was nice that Schitt$ Creek won big at the emmys but it didn't make me be like yay Canada.
I don't like the show. Tried watching it a couple of times for a few minutes and I don't understand what it is that people love about it. I can say that about many things. But I also said "that's nice...". A Canadian show won big.

But I also thought cool, the four individual winners are from TO and Ottawa. I felt happier about that fact. Way to go Ontario! Even though Ontario doesn't have a unique culture and identity that I and other Ontarians could bond over. I can't explain why I feel this way. I would never have thought that way 10 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The thing about being a homer is the subjectivity involved. I once had a guy from Saskatchewan tell me that it was not “flat enough” here.
This seems very common on SSP when discussing climates.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've had Prairie people (at least 1 or 2) mention that Ontario-Quebec feels "confined" compared to what they're used, due to the presence of dense woods, hills and mountains that always limit the horizon view.
I wouldn't say that it feels confining, personally... I like hills and mountains and such, but seeing them always drives home the point that I'm not at home.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

My reaction to Schitt's Creek winning all those Emmys was more "what the hell are they doing there?" I didn't know Canadian shows were eligible, or (if that's the explanation) that Schitt's Creek was considered an American show.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:01 PM

To answer the thread's question, I'm not much of a homer, but I do have to "root" for the two places on this planet where most of my assets are physically located in the form of stuff whose value greatly depends on how desirable the city is.

I happen to like my hometown (ideal mix of readily available urbanity and accessible nature/lakes/mountains, among other things I like) but I wouldn't be particularly attached to it, if it weren't for the fact I'm actually quite tied to it.

At this point, moving would be a chore, unless I decide to quit real estate, in which case I could move anywhere, I guess.

As for Quebec/Canada, I won't hesitate to criticize when warranted, but will also defend against unfair accusations from people who don't know what they're talking about. (Which is think is the correct balance.)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
I've had Prairie people (at least 1 or 2) mention that Ontario-Quebec feels "confined" compared to what they're used, due to the presence of dense woods, hills and mountains that always limit the horizon view.
I'm like that. Thats why I love being at sea, or in Gatineau Park at Belvédère Champlain.

Heading east out of the Rockies this is the view I look forward to after driving through the mountians. I can finally see a horizon!!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.13698...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This is a bit beside the question but I have become more sympathetic to a comment I read a few years ago on another forum which was that there was something weird about being passionate about a sports team that a member of your family or a close friend wasn't a member of.

I think this applies to cheering for TV shows winning awards as well.

But even if I am mindful of this, I don't always abide by it myself.

This will be abundantly clear when I answer the OP question!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
To answer the thread's question, I'm not much of a homer, but I do have to "root" for the two places on this planet where most of my assets are physically located in the form of stuff whose value greatly depends on how desirable the city is.

I happen to like my hometown (ideal mix of readily available urbanity and accessible nature/lakes/mountains, among other things I like) but I wouldn't be particularly attached to it, if it weren't for the fact I'm actually quite tied to it.

At this point, moving would be a chore, unless I decide to quit real estate, in which case I could move anywhere, I guess.

As for Quebec/Canada, I won't hesitate to criticize when warranted, but will also defend against unfair accusations from people who don't know what they're talking about. (Which is think is the correct balance.)
I don't "root" for Gatineau except to want it to be the best it can be as my human and physical assets are all here. I am fully aware of its shortcomings and which ones can and should be overcome and which ones likely never will be.

I do defend the city and region sporadically as it is often dissed by Ottawans and also people in other regions of Quebec. (Though the latter has become less common in recent years.)

"Gatineau pride" isn't really a thing anyway, probably less so than most cities. The population here is very much comprised of people who came from other places and don't have deep roots here.

I used to think Ottawa when I lived there was very transient and had lots of people with loyalties elsewhere or who were just in transit, but it turns out it was nothing compared to Gatineau. Since I lived across the river Ottawa has also grown quite a bit and as such seems to have taken on a much stronger civic identity due to perhaps now having a larger mass of people with roots in the city.

I have to say I don't root for Ottawa much, even though I do like the city. Note I am not rooting for them to fail either.

With some exceptions among certain people I don't find there is that much of a cross-river identity or overarching sentiment that we're in something together on either side. It's not really a question of animosity - Ottawans in general are pretty nice to Gatinois and don't treat us as interlopers when we're over there. Even when we're using some of their services!

But in my opinion it doesn't go as far as a feeling that we're all one city, as is often alleged. YMMV depending on who you talk to of course. Though I think my view is the way most Ottawans and Gatinois see things. Ottawans typically don't really think about us much, and when it's pointed out we exist, it's like "oh yeah... you guys too!". Whereas many Gatinois tend to be fussier about their distinctiveness, and emphasize that we're a city in Quebec that's next to Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
emphasize that we're a city in Quebec that's next to Ottawa.
.....with a shitload of federal government jobs!

There, finished that sentiment for you.

BTW, do Gatinois ever thing about the NCR at all? Do they consider the NCR as being beneficial for them?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
My reaction to Schitt's Creek winning all those Emmys was more "what the hell are they doing there?" I didn't know Canadian shows were eligible, or (if that's the explanation) that Schitt's Creek was considered an American show.
it aired on the American network POP. So was eligible. If you watch any press that aired in the states they all mention to watch the show on POP.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I don't like the show. Tried watching it a couple of times for a few minutes and I don't understand what it is that people love about it. I can say that about many things. But I also said "that's nice...". A Canadian show won big.

But I also thought cool, the four individual winners are from TO and Ottawa. I felt happier about that fact. Way to go Ontario! Even though Ontario doesn't have a unique culture and identity that I and other Ontarians could bond over. I can't explain why I feel this way. I would never have thought that way 10 years ago.
I love Schitt$ Creek, it takes a while to get into it, but Moira and Alexis are the best. The gay storyline that develops is why so many people of the LGBTQ love it, it was well done and just a storyline not an in yer face type thing.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
.....with a shitload of federal government jobs!

There, finished that sentiment for you.

BTW, do Gatinois ever thing about the NCR at all? Do they consider the NCR as being beneficial for them?
If you mean that they are glad to be part of the National Capital Region, yes they definitely are.

But for most people it doesn't really tug at the heart strings.

(The whole matter of which hockey team is most popular is probably a pretty vivid illustration of this.)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
(The whole matter of which hockey team is most popular is probably a pretty vivid illustration of this.)
67s vs Olympiques or Senators vs Les Habitants............

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
67s vs Olympiques or Senators vs Les Habitants............
Take a wild guess!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Take a wild guess!
Just teasing.........

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:01 PM
ARTchitecture

I hate my hometown (Woodstock ON), but I'm very proud of all the places I've lived since leaving that death trap, and as such I am very proud of our country. I am lucky enough to have lived in Toronto for a year, Ottawa for 3 months, Kelowna for 3 months, Vancouver for 2 years, and now Calgary for 8 years, with significant time spent in London, Kingston, Chilliwack, and Edmonton. I now consider Calgary my actual hometown, since nearly my entire adult life has been spent here.

All of these cities are very distinct from each other and have differing charms and reasons that I am still in love with each of them. Calgary has been where I grew from a sad angry boy into an ambitious and forward looking man, so it will always have a special place in my heart even if I leave after I graduate.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:03 PM

Hometown = Peterborough. I don't root for Peterborough at all. I think it's one of the few Canadian cities that's gotten more provincial and less appealing in the last twenty years.

Current Town = Toronto. I'm more of a homer than I'm willing to admit. Torontonians are really homer-ish, but they are very critical of their city amongst themselves. For the most part, this is where my allegiances lie, and the place I want to see do well the most. More than any other place in Canada, Toronto is getting very good and very bad simultaneously, so being a homer is, if nothing else, a wild ride.

Province = Ontario. Rooting for Ontario? That's a foreign concept, because most Ontarians think of themselves as Canadians and think Canada = Ontario = Canada.

Canada. I'm not that much of a patriot. In the company of non-Canadians, I'm usually downplaying Canada when Americans gush about it, and people from outside North America have very little knowledge of Canada, so mentioning Canada is kind of a conversation killer.

Like most Canadians, I'm quietly happy when Canada scores a point against the US, or any other country that's much larger or more prominent than us.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In terms of hometowns I have multiple ones as we moved a lot in my youth. Since most of them were in the Maritimes and my parents are from there, and I still have much of my family there, I have a soft spot for the region.

It still has a "back home" feel for me even if I haven't lived there in a very long time.

So that's one region of Canada that I "root" for.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:41 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
My sister in law in Regina says she feels almost claustrophobic when she leaves the prairies, including coming to Calgary or Toronto.

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada