HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 4:15 PM

Edmonton question

My neighbor who said she lived in Edmonton in the 70s said that crime used to be so bad there that the city was known to some as Deadmonton. As someone whose never been there was this really the case or was she exaggerating? How is the city now in regards to crime?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
My neighbor who said she lived in Edmonton in the 70s said that crime used to be so bad there that the city was known to some as Deadmonton. As someone whose never been there was this really the case or was she exaggerating? How is the city now in regards to crime?
we first lived here from ‘76 to ‘83. it was a much smaller community and was open and welcoming and crime really didn’t seem to be an issue (for perspective we moved from vancouver). the population - as well as the city - was young and there was a “we can do anything” approach to most things.

the national energy program and 20% interest rates changed many things and while there was an increase in petty crime and theft as unemployment rose it never felt unsafe.

we moved back - again from vancouver - in ‘98 and still never felt unsafe in what was by then a small city rather than a large town. as with any city there are some streets that are sometimes best avoided if comfort is a key criteria. some crime stats are higher than in the past but that’s not unique and most of it stems from mental health and/or drug issues and most violent crime is between known parties rather than random even those years where the crime stats compared unfavourably.

as for “deadmonton”, that had nothing to do with crime statistics and everything to do with a drive by column by a british (?) journalist (?) complaining - wrongly - about how there was nothing to do here in the same way victoria used to be described as “home for the newly wed and the nearly dead with sidewalks that got rolled up at 9:00 pm).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 6:16 PM
Community Guy

'as for “deadmonton”, that had nothing to do with crime statistics and everything to do with a drive by column by a british (?) journalist (?) complaining - wrongly - about how there was nothing to do here in the same way victoria used to be described as “home for the newly wed and the nearly dead with sidewalks that got rolled up at 9:00 pm).'

2001 IAAF athletics where a Brit did indeed use the term 'Deadmonton' to describe the vibe of the city.

Shortly thereafter it was adopted into a halloween festival with movies, zombie-walks, etc. and embraced.

Shortly thereafter we lead the country in murders/capita or top 3... so it was used again.

Thankfully, our murder rate has dropped.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 8:40 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
It looks like your posting from Texas, so if we compare Edmonton's crime to a similar sized city in the US such as Columbus, OH, it's low. The Edmonton-area experiences maybe 30-40 homicides per year. Columbus had about 140 or so homicides in 2019, so more than four times the rate.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 12:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your clarification of what "Deadmonton" stemmed from and the meaning. I've gone through the posts and seen the skyline pics and you have a beautiful city. Maybe I should tell my neighbor to visit your forum so she can see this thread and others so she can see how much your city has changed since she lived there in the 70s, lol! Thanks again.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 8:03 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Also a choice book with Edmonton's most interesting murder stories is also called, Deadmonton...

https://www.amazon.ca/Deadmonton-Cri.../dp/0889774269

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:27 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your clarification of what "Deadmonton" stemmed from and the meaning. I've gone through the posts and seen the skyline pics and you have a beautiful city. Maybe I should tell my neighbor to visit your forum so she can see this thread and others so she can see how much your city has changed since she lived there in the 70s, lol! Thanks again.
It's changed a lot since the 70's thats for sure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton