HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 6:41 AM

Just happened to come see this thread so just a few comments.

Edmonton definately has a lot going for it.......excellent post-sec, educated population, beautiful river valley, high wages, extremely affordable, good transit and overall transportation, and a vibrant arts and cultural scene. All of those things are vital to the city's future and especially getting and keeping highly educated and skilled workers. Edmonton's biggest problem is it's reputation............it's uniformally bad. Edmonton is still considered the Rodney Dangerfield of Canadian cities because it get no respect. That reputation has hurt it over the years and it's a hard one to shed.

Edmonton reputation as "Deadmonton" is still well deserved. Edmonton's downtown is an urban planning nightmare because the city lacks any "complete streets". Getting more bars, restaurants, and citizens downtown is only half the battle and I think that's what the City has yet to realize and tackle. 100 bars/rest/cafes/shops etc still add little to an urban environments when they are blocks apart separated by concrete frontage, parking lots, garages, and ugly office buildings. Having those 100 stores/services scattered all over the place and completely disjointed is not near as desireable as having just 20 all on the same block.

In short Edmonton should put as much {or even more} emphasis on one TRUE urban street than one just getting more of the same. It's a solid truth................a crowd draws a crowd and those are the kind of streets visitors need to see to rid Edmonton of it's boring and sterile reputation. In a nutshell, Edmonton's downtown needs a street where you can sit outside and watch the world go by and until it gets it the city will still seem isolating and lifeless.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 5:13 PM

Edmonton already has streets where you can watch the world go by. Jasper Avenue, Whyte Avenue, 124th Street, 118th Avenue, Stony Plain Road, 109th Street, 104th Avenue, Rice Howard Way, 97th Street, 107th Avenue, 104th Street, 102 Avenue.

Note that I have added many more streets than I would have 20 years ago. So you can take your 'deadmonton' shit and shove it up your ass.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post

Note that I have added many more streets than I would have 20 years ago. So you can take your 'deadmonton' shit and shove it up your ass.
Thank you for your most thought provoking reply. Unfortunately, your foul mouth will not change Edmonton's reputation as Deadmonton or just a generally rather dull and uninteresting city. Outside of Alberta, Edmonton has a lousy reputation and, contrary to what you may think, an undeserved one as far as I'm concerned.

Edmonton offers a lot but it is spread out and disjointed diminishing it's urban vitality and equally as importantly, how people perceive the city.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Thank you for your most thought provoking reply. Unfortunately, your foul mouth will not change Edmonton's reputation as Deadmonton or just a generally rather dull and uninteresting city. Outside of Alberta, Edmonton has a lousy reputation and, contrary to what you may think, an undeserved one as far as I'm concerned.

Edmonton offers a lot but it is spread out and disjointed diminishing it's urban vitality and equally as importantly, how people perceive the city.
Agreed. I'd add that Calgary's done a much better job with 17th Av, 8th Av, 4th St, Kensington area and that area east of the fort (can't remember the name).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 2:42 AM

Ssiguy, another meaning for 'dead' is lifeless. The 'lifeless' label doesn't work for Edmonton as on any of the streets I mentioned. You can sit outside and will always find someone walking along the sidewalk.

If Edmonton is your definition of 'dead' then you are insulting more than 85% of Canada.

I do not apologize for the comment I made above.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
take your 'deadmonton' shit and shove it up your ass.
Said a moderator. Only sayin', is all.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Agreed. I'd add that Calgary's done a much better job with 17th Av, 8th Av, 4th St, Kensington area and that area east of the fort (can't remember the name).
I agree, Calgary has done a far better jobs of creating complete streets than Edmonton which is why you can go down those streets and see tons of people in a very constant and inviting urban form. This is a good chunk of the reason why Calgary doesn't share Edmonton's rather beleaguered reputation. Edmontonians know they have a public perception problem so the City should focus on how that reputation came to be and how to fix it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 11:23 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Please remember that the "brand" of Deadmonton is more than two decades old. You might want to do a survey of today to find what people are actually thinking. Edmonton is modest, yes, but it isn't Deadmonton like it used to be and those still clinging on to the old Deadmonton brand won't be convinced otherwise.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
100 bars/rest/cafes/shops etc still add little to an urban environments when they are blocks apart separated by concrete frontage, parking lots, garages, and ugly office buildings. Having those 100 stores/services scattered all over the place and completely disjointed is not near as desireable as having just 20 all on the same block.
I been living in Calgary for just over four months now after living my whole life in Edmonton, and this is practically what I've come to conclude as well. The only disagreement I have is your negative connotation to what separates these social gathering spots (concrete frontage, parking lots, garages, and ugly office buildings). That stuff doesn't matter, Calgary has them also and practically all cities I'm sure. It's just the separation, in general, that is the issue really. Also, too many of Edmonton's go to and saught after spots (ie. Rge Rd, Biera, Cafe Bicyclette) are in random singular spots that do not create a street presence/attraction.

Sad to say also but Edmonton's beautiful river valley creates a great divide between the city's most urban communities. Which IMO gives it a perception of a smaller urban footprint than it really has. If Strathcona, Garneau, University, were North of the river, it would feel very different.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:47 PM

Once the Rossdale revitalization, Touch the Water and Gondola are complete and operating that will help create a big visual and functional link. A replacement high level bridge, possible streetcar expansion and with viewing platforms with stairs and a funicular down into Kinsman from the new bridge will also help to provide another link. Edmonton is fortunate to have the river valley but the challenge is how to protect it while building linkages to the valley and top of bank.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:35 PM
Community Guy

We need to activate more areas of it.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:05 PM

What's this about a new High Level Bridge? Is that for real?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:06 PM
Community Guy

There are a variety of options... recommendations are generally replacement. There is a study out there.

But it certainly should/could be restored/renovated.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
There are a variety of options... recommendations are generally replacement. There is a study out there.

But it certainly should/could be restored/renovated.
Are any of the recommendations for an alternative configuration featuring a two tiered bi-directional bridge? Likewise, any and all options should involve widening and raising the height of bridge decks. It would be great if we could eliminate the road blockages due to semi's smashing into the bridge.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:40 PM
Community Guy

I cannot recall and don't forget about the ideas being proposed by the https://www.highlevelline.com/.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:46 PM

I spent a few days in Edmonton back in May. Most surprising is how familiar it felt after not having lived there since 1995. The region has grown but it hasn't transformed. Despite massive investment, all of downtown, Oliver and Old Strathcona still have big gaps, ugly 70's style buildings and lots of poorly maintained properties. Even the river valley park system hasn't evolved much (the pedestrian bridge by Ft Edmonton is a much appreciated improvement). Streets are busier, but not significantl moreso than in the 90's. I don't mean to project a dislike for Edmonton, more astonishment that the boom did not change the city more. Maybe Edmonton is too decentralized and too public sector focused. Looking back, the 1970's completely remade the city. In contrast, Calgary feels completely different than 20 years ago. Admittedly, it has regressed over the past few years with the poor economy and disfunctional City Council. The decline could continue.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:33 PM

Edmonton doesn't have to look at Tor/Mon/Van/Cal for inspiration but rather just in it's own back yard...........Whyte.

The city needs a Whyte street downtown not just more people and stores/service scattered and disjointed. It needs a complete street and it's doesn't have one. There is a reason why Strathcona is so busy, interesting, and vital.............it offers the pedestrian friendly experience that no area of downtown Edmonton enjoys.

I would say that Edmonton's reputation has improved nationwide over the last 20 years but that doesn't change the fact that that it's a pretty bad one. It's still the butt of jokes, insults, and most people outside Alberta view a transfer to Edmonton as more of a sentence than an a job opportunity. Calgary doersn't suffer this problem and Edmonton should ask itself why.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 7:12 PM

^Outside of Alberta? More like just Northern Alberta, although I find a lot of people from Sask live in Edmonton so you can throw that province in as one to favor the city.

Edmonton will have a central destination soon, and it will be a combination of 104 street and Ice District. The district just needs to finish up and Langham needs to fill up their goddamn Fox CRUs (seriously why TF are they holding out so long?!?!?!). Edm struck some good luck getting the new arena beside an up and coming 104 street.

Time will tell though..

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:11 PM
Community Guy

A good summary on the impact of tech.

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colu...eid=6b16b4f7a9

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:28 PM
Community Guy

CBC

Social disorder, graffiti, construction issues working against city's image, councillors told

Business associations says Edmonton lags behind other cities in cleanliness and order

Natasha Riebe · CBC News · Posted: Jul 12, 2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ncil-1.5210704

----

...we convened a wee meeting this AM to discuss why, IMO, enough is enough. We must find constructive solutions, new approaches, have the courts work with us, help those wanting to break the cycle and arrest/imprison those who break the law.

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg/status/1150847896964587520
@dbayeg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton