HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 3:40 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I just don't think Gregory is an option. Footprint isn't big enough. It's pretty much strictly volleyball.

A smaller arena with great acoustics for music would also be louder with fans.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 4:33 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Is there ever much tailgating with basketball anyway? That's more a football tradition.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 4:37 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm talking about football.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:11 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I'm talking about football.
Were you? I'm confused, genuinely.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:20 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Yep. That is a busy parking lot on Saturdays in the Fall.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 7:30 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Were you? I'm confused, genuinely.
He was pointing out that a couple of the options for locating the basketball arena would displace surface parking lots where football tailgating happens.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
He was pointing out that a couple of the options for locating the basketball arena would displace surface parking lots where football tailgating happens.
Ohhhhhhh Duh. Okay. I agree, very much so 

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 3:20 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
As for major leagues, MLS is our best chance.
As for arena placement, the closer to DT the better. I've never been to either the Dell Diamond or the Cedar Park Center. They are way too far for it to be worth going.
You're not much of a fan if you aren't willing to travel 10 to 15 miles. I know someone in Glen Rose who has tickets to UT football games and that's a distance of 161 miles, which is far in access of 10 or 15 miles.
I'm willing to suggest that even if minor league basketball, hockey, and baseball were playing in downtown Austin you wouldn't go - you'd be complaining about how much it costs. Believe it or not, attendance of both minor league teams playing in Cedar Park have risen since moving there.

And by the way, real major league soccer leagues exist only in Europe - where all the best players end up playing. MLS is considered minor league by just about every real soccer fan.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
You're not much of a fan if you aren't willing to travel 10 to 15 miles. I know someone in Glen Rose who has tickets to UT football games and that's a distance of 161 miles, which is far in access of 10 or 15 miles.
I'm willing to suggest that even if minor league basketball, hockey, and baseball were playing in downtown Austin you wouldn't go - you'd be complaining about how much it costs. Believe it or not, attendance of both minor league teams playing in Cedar Park have risen since moving there.

And by the way, real major league soccer leagues exist only in Europe - where all the best players end up playing. MLS is considered minor league by just about every real soccer fan.
And South America and parts of Africa, too.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:28 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Both the Cedar Park Center and Dell Diamond are more than 10 or 15 miles away from where I live. The Cedar Park Center is 27 miles away and the Dell Diamond is 29 miles from my home. Add to the fact that I would have to travel through the city and any traffic congestion I come across and it can take over an hour to get to either of them. They are not ideal for serving the entire Austin metropolitan area.

If there was an arena DT you bet I'd go see games. Even if it's more expensive it wouldn't matter cause the money in gas that I would save would balance that out.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:31 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've never been to the Cedar Park Center. I've been to Dell Diamond twice. If I'm going to watch baseball, I'll go to Disch-Falk or all the way to Arlington to watch the Rangers.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, why do you hate America?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 2:30 AM
Bollywood Fanatic

[I think MLS is making great strides. And you have a ways to go as far as class, old sport.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 3:33 AM
lurker

We live close to slaughter and Manchaca and travel to the Cedar Park Center very often for the Texas Stars games. If you have a dedicated fan base, they'll make the drive. That being said, I can't see this thing going anywhere except for very close to downtown. I like the Idea of somewhere along East Riverside.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 6:43 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberthewhat View Post
I like the Idea of somewhere along East Riverside.
Me too. The land between 183 and Riverside near 71 seems ideal, since it's still largely undeveloped (last I checked.) Very easy access from everywhere other than far NW and far W. And there's nothing in that area that could be ruined by a stadium or arena; it would only be a catalyst for development.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 7:41 PM
Meh

^I've long said Riverside Drive should be lined with mid to highrises. If one corridor in Austin was best suited for it, it's Riverside. A stadium in the area could be the nudge it needs to get that started.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 12:31 AM
World Traveler

Agreed - and, as I think someone stated, that might be a catalyst for eventual rail going down Riverside also - getting people to and from a sports venue as well as eventual developments in the area. The rail might happen more readily if a venue of sorts begins the development.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 3:08 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^I've long said Riverside Drive should be lined with mid to highrises. If one corridor in Austin was best suited for it, it's Riverside. A stadium in the area could be the nudge it needs to get that started.
I strongly disagree. All one has to do is look at the results surrounding sport facilities in other Texas cities. Ballparks in Arlington, Houston, and Round Rock, no new developments. Arenas in Houston, San Antonio, and Cedar Park, no new developments, or far less than hoped for in Dallas. Football stadiums in San Antonio, Houston, and Arlington, no new developments. Why do you think Austin would get better results? Besides UT facilities, what major development exists near Royal Stadium?

Sporting facilities usually cause a death knell for any new developments around them.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:02 AM

I agree with Kevin on building mid to highrises along Riverside Drive, maybe in the 10 to 30 story range. I'm not smart enough to intelligently debate the stadium spurring growth argument, but I imagine the priority is finding an adequate piece of land to build it on with plenty of elbow room and for as little money as possible, (land costs). I don't know that anticipating development as a direct result of building a new stadium is ever a realistic consideration being that so many stadiums are purposely built on isolated pieces of land, away from nimbys and zoning issues. As far as the Dell Diamond....there was some added growth as a direct result of the stadium being built on pasture land in the middle of nowhere off hwy 79...I don't think that the Salt Lick would be there without it, or the bank on the adjoining property to the east.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 4:06 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I strongly disagree. All one has to do is look at the results surrounding sport facilities in other Texas cities. Ballparks in Arlington, Houston, and Round Rock, no new developments. Arenas in Houston, San Antonio, and Cedar Park, no new developments, or far less than hoped for in Dallas. Football stadiums in San Antonio, Houston, and Arlington, no new developments. Why do you think Austin would get better results? Besides UT facilities, what major development exists near Royal Stadium?

Sporting facilities usually cause a death knell for any new developments around them.
It really depends on how they are done. Arlington is a horrible example because Cowboys Stadium, the Ballpark, and Six Flags were all built with Rhode Island-sized parking lots on every side. Not to mention, Arlington is largely suburban sprawl to begin with. Even on a good day, it takes a good bit to get to downtown Fort Worth and even longer to get to downtown Dallas. There's no rail link (TRE is a good bit north of there) and there's no plan for one in the immediate future. Arlington, for whatever reason, opposed the TRE going through their city at the time it was built, if I remember right. FC Dallas' choice of Frisco for their stadium is equally bad, in my opinion, though in fairness the metroplex is developing (and getting more dense) to the north...it's still sprawl for now, though, and will take years (decades) to truly densify that far north. Houston did well for the Dynamo to have their stadium right next to the CBD. It's a fantastic stadium and adds to the neighborhood.

Riverside is relatively close to downtown Austin and makes more sense for natural expansion of development into that area - and it's already begun. If large venues are done from the beginning with relating to the surrounding neighborhood(s) in mind (i.e., with ground-level retail, no acreage of surface parking lots...), then it can tie together pretty nicely and organically. The Detroit one, I think, is a great example. Public transportation, if done correctly (and if the general public sees it as advantageous to utilize it), can offset the need for so much parking to begin with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin