HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 1:08 AM

Great building. Great project. Could the purchase and re-development of the of Westinghouse building be too far behind? And perhaps the City might even put the 'wood' back into Woodland Park - such a sad place now but old pictures suggest a much different history.

Those small business owners and artists who took a gambit on Barton years ago (even decades ago) might actually start to reap some rewards. Perhaps we've reached the tipping point - finally.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 1:38 AM

Fivefortyone.ca

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 6:04 AM

Wellington east a few blocks could definitely have a James North-esque vibe. That stretch from James to Wellington is a different animal unfortunately. If I were so inclined, I'd purchase a small shop somewhere east of the General.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 12:39 PM

Pleasantville

it is fantastic that Barton Street is seeing a rebirth and emerge in a more favourable light. long overdue.
Areas come and go and rise and fall.
An area slides or spirals downwards and at some point people with vision see an opportunity at a great price and start the process.
What is old is new and new becomes old.
It is great that the core and surrounding neighbourhoods grow and work against urban sprawl.
Now as these areas flourish the price goes up and the less fortunate get squeezed out or are forced to migrate. since the beginning of time people, herds or tribes moved to survive. basic instinct.
So if say Sanford & Barton evolve where are the people forced to move. North is not an option really. East , yet Ottawa area is seeing growth. With the new mall and Ottawa BIA.
So South and I dare say Concession Street.
Poverty and Social Assistance issues are a fact. Not a quick fix. A sad reality!
So one area's gain will be another's problem.
just watch the News or Police crime blotter. Parkdale here we come!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 3:28 PM

"Eatery and Exchange?"

I must say I am happy about this development. I always thought it was one of the most beautiful buildings on Barton, it always had tinfoil in the windows which annoyed me, but that promo video did not help me understand what this place is actually going to be. It is a welcome change and with good intentions. They seem to be doing everything in their power to not be the seed of gentrification but to simply better an existing neighbourhood. I guess time will tell.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
... that promo video did not help me understand what this place is actually going to be.

I know what you mean.

Not sure if this clears it up any, but here's a blurb from the FB page.

Quote:
We are an eatery; offering fresh, homemade meals and baked goods in the heart of Hamilton. We are committed to providing food that is affordable, nutritious and family-friendly.

We are a place of exchange; where ideas are shared and where people can engage with one another. We will use our space and the proceeds from food sales to facilitate educational community initiatives such as a homework club, a youth employment program and other skills training opportunities.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
... It is a welcome change and with good intentions. They seem to be doing everything in their power to not be the seed of gentrification but to simply better an existing neighbourhood. I guess time will tell.
Digging into their site I found this: "541 is a social enterprise that is a project of a registered Canadian Charity (Compass Point Bible Church)."

I'm not comfortable with the complete lack of information on the objects and goals of this religious-focused social enterprise.

The Compass Point site is here:http://www.compass-point.ca

From that site I'm definitely not comfortable with this:

"Man’s Condition: We believe that all are sinners and are guilty before God, and as such are worthy of both physical and spiritual death."

I'm likely not going to 541.

But to each his own. Draw your own conclusions.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 8:06 PM

I was getting all excited about this project. I thought, finally, a decent place to sit down and have some coffee etc. Well, there goes that idea out the window. What a let down.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 11:58 PM

Here's your latte, sinner.

I do often take my morning java with a little extra guilt sprinkled on top, so this is right up my alley.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 1:29 AM

Hmmm...a little disappointing.

Thought it was gonna be a "real" restaurant. I'm not going there either.

Anyway, I hope it does some good.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:09 PM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:57 PM

541 Eatery & Exchange

This is a fascinating project. I hope it works!

Website
Facebook

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 1:12 AM

in no way do i wish to jinx it but I am just happy that if for some reason it does not survive, then at least this space is been brought to a usable state and someone will snatch it up and try again.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 2:38 AM

It would appear they've pumped a lot of money into what I'd consider a really risky project. I'm not sure what that says.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 11:46 AM

I have a bad feeling about this place. I get the impression that some pseudo-cult has just dropped a honeypot amid some of the most downtrodden residents of the city. Makes me think of the notorious former Dominion Christian Centre on Park Street, now stripped of its charity status and its Gucci-adorned clergy now operating in Aldershot as the One Community Church. This space should be approached with extreme caution.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:21 AM

^Yeah, it's no accident they're setting up shop at that location...

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:37 PM

This looks similar to the Freeway Cafe on King St. which is run by the Salvation Army. They keep religion out of it for the most part.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:39 PM
Hammer'd

Although I don't like the idea of church groups operating in "transitional" areas, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and reserve my judgement until they open. Overall, it's a wonderful idea and something that is badly needed for the area. If it's done right, it could help kickstart development in the area as well.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 5:57 AM

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 2:38 PM

I went to 541 a couple weekends ago during their "open house". It was packed and looked great inside.

Apparently the building is owned by and renos were paid for by a church, but other than a few religious services being done in the space a couple times a week they should be pretty "hands off" as the staff and management were hired externally to run it.

It's non-profit though, with all revenue being put back into the space so everytime you get something there you will be supporting the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues