HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 3:08 AM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 4:55 AM

Some more PSU updates. I wish it was this nice when I went there. I feel like so many facilities have been upgraded since 2010.

The new Schnitzer Museum of Art is pretty neat too albeit small.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:27 AM

Completed PSU 4th and Montgomery which I believe is now called the Vanport Building.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Completed PSU 4th and Montgomery which I believe is now called the Vanport Building.

I was skeptical of this building's design, but it has turned out nicely. It has enough small details like the angles of the panels between windows.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 10:25 PM

From the DJC:

Quote:
At PSU, the renovation and expansion of the downtown Gateway Center, at 200 S.W. Fifth Ave., will provide spaces for the School of Art + Design, Student Health and Counseling, and Speech and Hearing Sciences. The project will create new student space, labs, teaching spaces, materials storage, specialty clinics and a wellness center. New gallery and exhibit spaces will promote enrollment and interaction with the community.

The project will bring art students under one roof, said Elisabeth Charman, director of the School of Art + Design.

“To be able to have a center where everybody is together, you can see each other as you’re working through the building and you can exchange ideas and collaborate better … bringing us together is super healthy,” she said.

One other advantage, according to Charman: Students won’t have to tote canvases and art projects across PSU’s south downtown campus.
Some more information about the project here. (Note that the site is actually 2000 SW 5th Ave, not 200.)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 12:22 AM
Semi-Lurker

The current art building and art annex at this location are pretty decrepit. Quite a few windowless rooms and some that smell like an old gym bag for some reason. It will be nice for future PSU art students to have some better facilities.

The art program at PSU is a joke. Classes are mostly taught by part time adjuncts, even constructive critical feedback is generally withheld to avoid making students feel "unsafe", art & design principles are chided as being white supremacist, and in general the focus is on student retention as opposed to education.

But at least students won't also have to endure crusty old facilities while paying $1300 a class to have someone blow smoke up their ass for 11 weeks.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:23 AM

Quote:
The art program at PSU is a joke. Classes are mostly taught by part time adjuncts, even constructive critical feedback is generally withheld to avoid making students feel "unsafe", art & design principles are chided as being white supremacist, and in general the focus is on student retention as opposed to education.
I can't speak to the art school but the graphic design program is actually quite good. It produces many talented professionals and many of the instructors are active in the industry. Profs Charman and Bingaman-Burt have been excellent stewards over the past decade plus.

You're certainly right about the art building though. The program deserves better than a forgotten shack on the edge of campus. Excited to see what they come up with.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 6:34 PM
Semi-Lurker

The work I have been seeing coming out of the design program is pretty awful as well.

Maybe it used to be better at one time

Last edited by RainDog; Jul 14, 2021 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 7:15 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
The current art building and art annex at this location are pretty decrepit. Quite a few windowless rooms and some that smell like an old gym bag for some reason. It will be nice for future PSU art students to have some better facilities.

But at least students won't also have to endure crusty old facilities while paying $1300 a class to have someone blow smoke up their ass for 11 weeks.
I'm guessing not much has changed with the arts program at PSU, it was pretty bad when I was there years ago in the architecture department. The buying of the building that is the arts department now is something I felt PSU did for a placeholder to stick the arts department and sit on land that they will eventually redevelop.

It would be nice to see some serious reinvesting in their arts program to put together something that is a better reflection of the city. Obviously I don't have any connections to the arts department, so I can't speak for any changes that they have done or have coming, but it would be nice to see that program be much better than it has been.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:03 PM

Drawings [68 MB] for the Vernier Science Center Renovations.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:07 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Looks like a decent renovation from the existing building. When I used to go to PSU for architecture, I always thought this building should have been the Architecture Department building because it just looks like that's what belongs in it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 9:12 PM

A real shame to demolish this building, without even a firm plan for what will replace it.

Quote:
Going, Going...Soon to be Gone

Portland State University has filed its intention to tear down the Parkway Manor, a 90-year-old former apartment building, now used for student housing, that faces the South Park Blocks at 1609 S.W. Park.

Likewise, the university plans to demolish the Harder House, a one-time residence long ago converted to offices that sits to the rear of Parkway Manor. The demolitions will open a half block for future development. “We have not released any plans for this 1/2 block, but it would likely be a new academic or residential building, depending on future need,” said Jason Franklin, director of the campus planning office.

The quarter-block Parkway Manor site is important because it is a public face on one of Portland’s most scenic, peaceful, charming urban spaces. The Parkway is not a designated landmark, but is listed on the city’s historic resources inventory. As a result, PSU must provide a 120-day window before demolition in case a buyer or someone comes up with a plan to save the building or move it. Since the land is owned by the state university system, any option besides demolition is moot.

Parkway Manor was one of two apartments facing the South Park Blocks designed by the Portland firm of Bennes and Herzog in 1931. The other is the Jeanne Manor two blocks north at 1431 SW Park.
...continues at Building on History

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:05 AM
A before E

I get that these old apartment buildings are outdated and hard to maintain, but I wish they would try to take every avenue first before trying to tear the building down. Especially if it is just going to turn into a vacant lot on the Park Blocks.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I get that these old apartment buildings are outdated and hard to maintain, but I wish they would try to take every avenue first before trying to tear the building down. Especially if it is just going to turn into a vacant lot on the Park Blocks.
Seems like an odd decision from a school that would like to be viewed as a leader in urban development studies.

I'd like to see that sketchy hotel and acres of parking be flattened and a master plan created for an expanded campus on that valuable, MAX adjacent land before flattening historic buildings along the park blocks.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 8:10 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Look at the tree cover that part of the street would lose.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Look at the tree cover that part of the street would lose.
The street trees are in the right-of-way, so it's not given that they would be part of the demolition. Maybe once a new project moves forward, but the trees could be saved or at least replaced with new construction.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 8:34 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for the new PSU School of Art & Design, adjacent to 1914 SW Park Ave:

Quote:
: A Pre-Application Conference to discuss a new 4-5 story building for PSU School of Art & Design consisting of 100,000 square feet of classrooms, studios, offices, galleries and supporting spaces. Project will include a request to reduce number of required loading spaces from two Standard A spaces to one space.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 3:32 AM
A before E

Quote:
Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for the new PSU School of Art & Design, adjacent to 1914 SW Park Ave:
Wow, this is awesome news on so many levels. As someone who went to the PSU architecture program, this will really turn that part of campus into a legit design block for the school. This will also mean the current art and design building will eventually be torn down (thankfully, that building was past its lifespan when PSU got it.) This will give the college the equivalent of a city block to redevelop. Based on that location, my guess is we will eventually see another dorm building of some kind go up on that site.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
This has been approved: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/800701

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:19 PM

DAR for the PSU School of Art and Design is on the Design Commission agenda for 1/5/23:

Quote:
The applicant seeks Design Review for a new 100,000sf, four- or five-story classroom building on the Portland State University campus. The development site will include the development of a section of the Green Loop multimodal path along the vacated portion of SW College Street between SW Park Avenue and SW Broadway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland