HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Hauser Packing Co. -->

I believe that's the Boyle Heights Orphanage in the distance. I could be wrong.

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/FindingA.../I0027182A.jpg
Hauser publicity:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...arRange&page=1

The Hauser plant was built in 1906. Comparing the above photo with the 1906 Sanborn map below, it looks like the photo was taken from the E. 11th Street side. That inclined structure in the
photo looks like the "cattle drive" represented by the dashed parallel lines on the left side of the map (between the two buildings that are to the right of "1481"); the drive leads from a corral up
to a platform adjacent to where the cattle were, um, dispatched. If the photo is looking sort of NE, that must be the orphanage in the background; what else other than the orphanage was
that big in that direction at that time?:

LAPL

The map closer up:

Over on the right side we have the Lard Room . . . I guess that's where the executive offices were (ha ha, just kidding).

The former plant site and surrounding area in March 2011. East Ninth is now East Olympic, and St. Elmo Street (lower left corner of 1906 Sanborn) is now Imperial Street:

Google Earth

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 11:29 AM

A little more on the Hauser Packing Company. Here's an article from the Los Angeles Herald, dated 3 September 1905:

cdnc.ucr.edu

The 1921 Baist map still shows a fairly sparsely populated site:

www.historicmapworks.com

By 1948 the site had filled in. The old Santa Fe railroad route can still be seen curving into the site, but no rails are visible. The 1952 aerial looks much the same, but most of the site had been cleared by 1972.

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 3:20 PM

Excellent information on the Hauser Packing Co. Flyingwedge and HossC! Thanks so much.

ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
LAT Feb 8, 1920

Your block of Lucerne is part of the Windsor Heights tract, which had its official opening on January 4, 1920. The Tracy E. Shoults Company developed it, apparently specifying concrete streets--different developers were responsible for the original Windsor Square (concrete streets), its extensions to the west including Lucerne south of 3rd (asphalt) and to the north, New Windsor Square (asphalt), and Windsor Heights. There is actually quite a bit of early coverage in the Los Angeles Times about Windsor Heights, including the construction of new houses in the tract--perhaps yours is covered, which you may already be aware of.

Lucerne above 3rd Street was, at the time, called El Centro Avenue, an extension of that street from Hollywood to the north. The change from El Centro to Lucerne (from 3rd to Melrose) came about by early 1924.

Thanks, Gaylord Wilshire, for all the info about my block and neighborhood. I was completely unaware that Lucerne was once El Centro. It certainly explains why Lucerne south of Third makes such a dramatic jog to the east.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:21 PM

What intersection is this?
ebay

I believe that is the Statler Hotel in the distance.
__

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:26 PM

These other slides were including in the group.

-the Harbor Freeway
ebay

Does that say Grandburger? -if so, this is probably Grand Avenue/but what intersection?
ebay

This one is easy. -looking east on Wilshire (Rex Arms left, Statler Hotel right)
ebay

These last two are pretty much a mystery to me.

ebay

especially this one.
ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

OLeander, just to warn you, that Ebay link will only work for a short time (it'll be a certain amount of time after the auction finishes). I found a slightly larger version of the same picture on Ebay a few weeks ago. I tweaked it a little to remove some of the patterning. The seller in your link describes it as "La Cienega Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 1930 Photograph".

Ebay
Sorry about that. I'm just learning about how to post pics here and seems that I need to learn about photo bucket. In any case, your version of the picture is FANTASTIC. This is just a few blocks from my home on Flores and First and I know the geography (view of the hills from this location, e.g.) pretty well. I'm pretty sure that is the intersection of Beverly and La Cienega Boulevards only because of other photos on this site have shown the same oil well in the middle of the street as being the one that is under (and behind on San Vicente Boulevard) today's Beverly Center. You can also see the same oil well just north on La Cienega in a photo posted earlier on this site where a woman is crossing the intersections of LaCienega and San Vicente Boulevards, near Blackburn Avenue and where Loehmans is today. In any case, I love pictures from my old Mid City West neighborhood. I've been anxious to see if there are any from Third Street, Crescent Heights. etc. Thanks again!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:55 PM

Quote:
ebay

I found a picture of the same intersection in an article by Larry Harnisch. It give the address of the Robotyping building on the left as 1061 Ingraham St. You can read the whole article about a Starsky and Hutch filming location here.

latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:

Does that say Grandburger? -if so, this is probably Grand Avenue/but what intersection?
ebay

The northeast corner of Wilshire & Bixel... the Wilshire Specials give away the main drag... the Grandburger was at 1065 Wilshire.

GSV

Quote:
ebay

__

That was the Statler, but it's still visible in this May 2011 shot, directly under the footbridge (?) past 1000 Wilshire.

GSV

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 5:45 PM

So much for my Grandburger theory. -thanks GW -and HossC
__

The Historic Wall
The 110 year old limestone wall that was once a part of the old Fremont Hotel

http://losangelesrevisited.blogspot....c-wall-of.html

Fremont Hotel site/4th and Olive

google_aerial

I thought I'd check it out myself (via the google-mobile)

yep, there it is!

GSV

This makes me wonder what might be buried beneath that parking lot.

-another view from Los Angeles Revisited blog.

http://losangelesrevisited.blogspot....c-wall-of.html
__

from way back on page 17

Quote:
Fremont Hotel at 4th Street and Olive (shown in 1920).

usc digital library
___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 6:20 PM

I believe that is Fort Moore Hill (with high school) in the distance.
ebay

ebay
__

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 6:22 PM

...another great slide/gentlemen watching the construction of the 101.
ebay
__

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 6:29 PM

Eight unnamed ingenues from the 1940s. (recognize any of them?)
ebay

reverse

__

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 6:46 PM

Two snaps down

First, thanks all, to several very nice additions to some of my earlier posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Hey, great post MP. I never knew that building had been a bowling alley.

In the mid-80s I worked in the Petersen Building up on La Cienega and Sunset, and I remember the Esprit store down on La Cienega and Santa Monica. In the b/w photo you can see a tiny bit of the Petersen Bldg above and to the right of the DON'T WALK sign.

I've been by the Petersen Building within the last year, and it looks vacant -- there's plywood in one column of windows in the photo below -- except that the parking structure is being used:

GSV Feb 2011

Petersen Publishing also owned that fire-damaged building next door on Sunset. I think Petersen moved to Westwood a few years after I left. I wonder if those buildings have been vacant all this time?
I believe I can answer your queries, Flyingwedge, and it's not pretty:

From L.A. Curbed, from Sept., link:
http://la.curbed.com/tags/sunset-millennium

WeHo's Giant Sunset|La Cienega Hotel/Residential/Retail Project Finally Beginning

West Hollywood's decades-in-the-making, four-tower Sunset|La Cienega project (formerly known as Sunset Millennium) is finally starting work, the city has announced. Demolition begins next Monday on several blocks on the south side of Sunset Boulevard, around La Cienega. Mid-century buildings like the Petersen office tower and the Tiffany Theater will bite the dust. They'll make way for two 10-story hotel towers with up to 296 rooms (east side of La Cienega) and two eight-story residential towers with 190 units (west side); all four buildings will feature ground-floor retail totaling a maximum of 70,000 square feet. Developer CIM hired Skidmore, Owings & Merrill to design the hotels, with SOM and Lorcan O'Herlihy teaming up for the apartment buildings. "Large public viewing terraces are integrated into both parcels with plaza amenities designed by the landscape architecture firm of Mia Lehrer + Associates," the city declares.

The reason that this has been delayed is that sensible people were fighting it. (The developers in West Hollywood always seem to
get their way, even if it's delayed. The city council bows to all developers.) Residents are concerned about the already bad traffic
from this montrosity. People who own houses in the hills opposite this don't want their views obstructed (and property value to
fall?) and preservationists didn't want the Tiffany Theatre or the Petersen Bldg. or the two locations on the corner used in the filming
of the TV series 77 SUNSET STRIP (the detective agency and what's left of "Dino's" next door where Ed Byrnes [Kookie] parked cars), to
be obliterated. There's a huge plaque, if that's the right word, in the sidewalk proclaiming the site of this filming location...but TOO LATE.
I walked by there last Friday and it's all gone. Except the sidewalk plaque, but...move along...nothing to see here...

Dino's (Dean Martin) on the left of the Tiffany Theatre.

Cinema Treasures
I understand a group from the valley rescued the Tiffany sign for preservation at least.

77 Sunset Strip
Edsel
A screen grab of Ed Byrnes (Kookie) parking cars at Dino's, next door to the title location. The last year or two I've walked by this spot (there's a great view across L.A. here) once or twice a month and every time I stepped on this sidewalk plaque...

SeeingStars
...I snapped my fingers twice...if you get the drift daddy-o.

You can see the plaque on the sidewalk in this image. The rounded entrance is where the detectives offices were located, there was an awning over it, I believe, and "Dino's" was next door to the right.
Although...this image makes it look rather modern, maybe it was extensively remodeled, I'm not finding an image of it back then right now. The actual location according to the poster is 8524 Sunset Blvd.

? @ Flickr

I've actually always wanted to see this series, but never an opportunity to do so. I believe the credit sequence is on youtube and you can see one of the leads driving down Sunset to La Cienega to the office here.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 6:58 PM

Oh my stars

Quote:
Eight unnamed ingenues from the 1940s. (recognize any of them?)
ebay
reverse
__
Do we know what studio it was? That would narrow things down!

The lady second from the right looks something like Sandra Gould (from Bewitched)...?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 8:48 PM

1943/44 Columbia Starlets?

One of my "specialties" is obscure B starlets of the 40's and I even I can say that all but one here look only vaguely familiar or not familiar at all. The sporty-looking beauty with the scarf in her hair, third from the left, looks very much like Columbia starlet and fashion model Dusty Anderson. Dusty was in Columbia's "Cover Girl," had a prominent role in "A Thousand and One Nights" (both were made in or around 1944), and married director Jean Negulesco.

Interesting to think that all of the major studios had many dozens of beautiful young women like these under short-term contract to populate those musical numbers and scenes set in nightclubs, hotel lobbies and swimming pools, sorority houses etc. Few went beyond a handful of mostly uncredited cameos and walk-ons. Gorgeous Dusty Anderson, already a successful model with a vivacious personality, "married well" and was the exception, although her career in movies was brief and her roles were minor. According to Wikipedia, she is still alive at age 94.

Last edited by JeffDiego; Oct 28, 2013 at 6:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 10:12 PM

That car in the screencap of "Dino's" is a '59 Edsel!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Kookie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
That car in the screencap of "Dino's" is a '59 Edsel!
Thanks Martin Pal for the photo of Dino's...

The hat-less man in the photo is Edd Byrnes, born July 1933. He's still combing his hair at age 80.

As a tribute to his enduring celebrity and his iconic "Kookie" character, Edd Byrnes has ranked #5 in TV Guide's list of "TV's 25 Greatest Teen Idols"

Wiki

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 2:00 AM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 2:44 AM

Lugo House at Rancho San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post

U.S.C. Digital Library/California Historical Society

The adobe walls can be better seen in this image.

LAPL
Here's another 1930s photo of the now-demolished Lugo House at Rancho San Antonio:

e-humanity.org -- http://e-humanity.org/artifact.php?a...base=ehumanity

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos