HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
PATH is not running anywhere near capacity. Path carries about 260,000 riders a day. In the 1920's and 1930's, PATH was carrying almost half a million riders a day.
It is funny how we could carry more people decades ago, but somehow can't seem to do it now with the infrastructure we have.

There is a vocal number of people in NJ that don't want any connections with NYC, because they view it as promoting no job growth in NJ.
Talk to the PA. Stated capacity of PATH is 250-260K daily riders. The signal project/10 car trains to WTC will push that up to 290-300K daily. I don't think they are holding back capacity just to amuse themselves with people packed in cars like sardines during rush.

Making a conscious decision to never improve commuter service/access to NYC in the hopes of commandeering some of those jobs is hugely misguided and will backfire on the state in the long run. People who would otherwise live in NJ will decide to live in NY and CT which will have vastly better access to NYC than NJ does in just a few years.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Talk to the PA. Stated capacity of PATH is 250-260K daily riders. The signal project/10 car trains to WTC will push that up to 290-300K daily. I don't think they are holding back capacity just to amuse themselves with people packed in cars like sardines during rush.
It is not about holding back on purpose. It is that the people operating things now don't seem to understand or know how to operate services better than they do.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Many Republicans are actually proud of killing transit projects these days. Look at Florida and Wisconsin as well. Christie is apparently more popular than ever even though he's only hurting the residents of his own State.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
It is not about holding back on purpose. It is that the people operating things now don't seem to understand or know how to operate services better than they do.
PATH already operates at the minimum headways allowed by the existing signal system during peak times. I'm thinking higher system usage in the 20s and 30s was due to the ridership in the non-peak times also being strong. In modern terms PATH has surpassed it's total ridership record and continues to gain.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Many Republicans are actually proud of killing transit projects these days. Look at Florida and Wisconsin as well. Christie is apparently more popular than ever even though he's only hurting the residents of his own State.
I love how the Tea Party decides that the most wasteful government spending is on precisely the projects (infrastructure) that we need to upgrade the most. And then once they get those projects cancelled, they complain about unemployment and how China's going to pass us soon. Meanwhile, Shanghai's building 18 subway lines and laughing.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:11 PM

As long as the gas tax doesn't increase that's all that matters....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:21 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
PATH is not running anywhere near capacity. Path carries about 260,000 riders a day. In the 1920's and 1930's, PATH was carrying almost half a million riders a day.
It is funny how we could carry more people decades ago, but somehow can't seem to do it now with the infrastructure we have.

There is a vocal number of people in NJ that don't want any connections with NYC, because they view it as promoting no job growth in NJ.
Thats Interesting that you brought that up....many railroads in the NE say there operating at capacity....but many lines and stations have not reached there previous 1920s peaks... Idk with the PA/PATH , they can never fully tell the truth....just look at the Boondoggle of the WTC project or the Bayonne Port land grab... The Peaks of the Railroads were around 1.7 Million , we should hit that by 2025....and the PATH was around 270,000....we should hit 340,000 by 2020 if all redevelopment projects in Jersey City , Harrison and Newark go through. Most New Jerseyites work in Manhattan , I wouldn't say its a Majority....more like 15%...considering that 820,000 New Jerseyites use transit into NYC...i wouldn't say there would be a vocal majority. There are alot of people like me who would rather see the broken Suburban and Urban systems expanded like promised years ago over NYC....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation