HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton High Beats Harrison Trimble in Provincial High School Football Final at Rocky Stone Field
Published Monday November 16th, 2009

High school football showdown draws more than 5,000 spectators
By Dwayne Tingley
Times & Transcript Staff

Same Zeid admits the Moncton High Purple Knights “weren’t very good” four years ago when they won only two games and failed to make the playoffs in the New Brunswick High School Football League.

VIKTOR PIVOVAROV/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
Moncton High School Purple Knights Same Zeid, 7, and head coach John Allanach celebrate with teammates after winning the 12 man football championship at Rocky Stone Memorial Field against Harrison Trible High School Trojans on Saturday.

Since then, Zeid and other members of that team have been tirelessly lifting weights, reviewing game tapes and practising year-round in an effort to bring Moncton High its 14th provincial football championship and first since 2002.

The 17-year-old slotback/punter and his teammates were rewarded in a spectacular way Saturday afternoon.

Purple Knights beat Harrison Trimble Trojans 43-21 before more than 5,000 spectators at Rocky Stone Memorial Field in the first matchup for the provincial title between the storied rivals in 26 years.

“It’s all been worth it and it feels better than I ever expected,” said Zeid, who caught a touchdown pass in the first half.

“For the last three or four years, we’ve been trying to bring more athletes out to our team so we could make a run at the championship,” he said.

“We needed guys who wanted to make a serious commitment to football. We found the right athletes who were willing to make sacrifices by giving up lunch hours, after school time and weekends to make the team. It makes this win very special.”

The game attracted former players and students from both schools, many proudly sporting the purple and white of Moncton High or the maroon and white of Harrison Trimble.

Purple Knights linebacker Brett Gray, who was named defensive player of the game, said the crowd created a magical atmosphere.

“It was so loud at times that we couldn’t hear,” Gray said. “We had to focus on the game, but there were times on the sideline when I would look over at the crowd and just see huge walls of purple. What a feeling.”

Other Photos:

Personal note.......If we can get over 5,000 spectators out to the provincial high school football final in Moncton, I'm sure that we will be able to pack the stands with 20,000 spectators for the CFL game next fall!!!

I'm sure that the CFL mandarins will be made aware of this and I am sure that they will be impressed. I will tolerate no more comments that Moncton is not a football hotbed......obviously it is.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 11:40 PM
Honored Member

I have to give Moncton credit. They have put on some very large concerts and now they are building a stadium. Halifax must not take the competition from Moncton lightly.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad
Personal note.......If we can get over 5,000 spectators out to the provincial high school football final in Moncton, I'm sure that we will be able to pack the stands with 20,000 spectators for the CFL game next fall!!!

I'm sure that the CFL mandarins will be made aware of this and I am sure that they will be impressed. I will tolerate no more comments that Moncton is not a football hotbed......obviously it is.
Yeah because we are suppose to believe an attendance number published by that newspaper... enough said. No one said that Moncton is not a hotbed for football, no one said you won't get 20,000 for the CFL game. Heck if the game was held in a stadium on the top of the cobequid pass they would probably get 20,000. When a CFL owner comes looking to start a team in the East its going to be in the city where they can maximize profits and sorry to say that will be Halifax, not Moncton. Look how cheap and easy it was to build that stadium in Moncton, that will happen in Halifax just as easy. Congrats on hosting a CFL game, enjoy it, and don't take it personally.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 1:18 AM
The New Republic

Boy, are there ever a lot of Haligonians who get their noses out of joint when they get some competition in 'their' own neck of the woods. It's about time. Good going Moncton. If you get a team, you deserve it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 1:56 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Yeah because we are suppose to believe an attendance number published by that newspaper... enough said. No one said that Moncton is not a hotbed for football, no one said you won't get 20,000 for the CFL game. Heck if the game was held in a stadium on the top of the cobequid pass they would probably get 20,000. When a CFL owner comes looking to start a team in the East its going to be in the city where they can maximize profits and sorry to say that will be Halifax, not Moncton. Look how cheap and easy it was to build that stadium in Moncton, that will happen in Halifax just as easy. Congrats on hosting a CFL game, enjoy it, and don't take it personally.
While I won't disagree with you that Halifax could host a CFL team and is the largest metro population in Atlantic Canada, the fact is the CFL offered Halifax a team back in the 80's and guess what?? No stadium was built.

The economic arguement as to the benefit of having a stadium large enough to host a CFL team is there to be made, but currently new stadiums are being planned for Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa, while Saskatchewan is in the early stages of an economic study of whether a dome stadium in Regina is viable. The fact is each city receives a great amount of economic spin off from having a CFL team. In addition a regional team, such as in Regina generates an even larger spin off via the larger draw of fans from out of town using restaurants and hotels.

If Halifax had built a new stadium, a CFL team would have been all but assured. The problem is those who hold the power to get this done in Nova Scotia are not that interested, but those in Moncton are. Halifax could very well end up handing the Atlantic CFL franchise to Moncton if people there don't wake up.

Either way I am very much looking forward to the day the CFL is coast to coast... and especially look forward to buying tickets to the first Grey Cup game played in Atlantic Canada. All I can say is if Moncton does end up getting the team I will be inquiring about hotels in the region.

Last edited by newflyer; Nov 24, 2009 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:52 PM

I was at the new stadium last night for the Olympic Torch ceremony...it's 'very' nice....can't wait to see it totally completed.

JL

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:05 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
I was at the new stadium last night for the Olympic Torch ceremony...it's 'very' nice....can't wait to see it totally completed.

JL
Are the stands identical on each side? I've only seen photos of one stand, but not the whole thing in one shot.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The other stand is still U/C. It is not the same but will be of a similar size. The new stand is of concrete construction, backs on the existing CEPS building (the university athletic centre) and will have a large media facility (press box) on top. It will be the more impressive of the two grandstands.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The other stand is still U/C. It is not the same but will be of a similar size. The new stand is of concrete construction, backs on the existing CEPS building (the university athletic centre) and will have a large media facility (press box) on top. It will be the more impressive of the two grandstands.
when you say 'more impressive' do you mean in size or quality?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Mostly quality.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 3:09 AM
Our Tide is Rising

a quick vid of the flame at the stadium...cant see much though as its quite dark

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theantelope/4129757038/

this one shows the size of the crowd pretty good (although the paper made it sound like most of the crowd had left by this point)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N3e5KzKSYU

This one shows the fireworks and when they are lit you can see the stands that are still U/C quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rd7igRDCM4

Last edited by mmmatt; Nov 26, 2009 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 3:48 PM

Monctons Track & Field stadiums bleachers are really far away from the field in order to accommodate the track.

This is why when Halifax builds its stadium it needs to build a nice tight Football stadium without the track.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 7:00 PM

Quote:
This is why when Halifax builds its stadium it needs to build a nice tight Football stadium without the track.
A single-purpose facility! Stroke of genius!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 8:54 PM
The New Republic

I've never understood why they don't just build the track outside the stadium when there's land to do so. How many track and field events do Canadians really go to? Even when we do, crowds usually never requires tens of thousands of seats.

We shouldn't be compromising the football experience for a one off track event that might happen once in 30 years.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 9:36 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I personally agree with him. The only thing a track benefits is track events which rarely come by. It would be a nuisance for any other event, especially with the stands set back from the field.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 10:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The presence of an athletic track does not significantly impact the value of the facility as a football stadium.

Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton was built for the Commonwealth Games (sorry Halifax) and has an integrated track but it is still a highly regarded football stadium. I think it has the highest attendance of any stadium in the CFL.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 10:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton off to Grey Cup
Published Thursday November 26th, 2009

Preparation continues for next year's CFL regular season game here
Neil Hodge

CALGARY - Moncton will be waving its flag proudly at the 97th Grey Cup.

Mayor George LeBlanc and Ian Fowler, the city's general manager of recreation, parks, tourism and culture, will be in attendance when the Montreal Alouettes and Saskatchewan Roughriders clash in the Canadian Football League championship game on Sunday at 7:30 p.m. at McMahon Stadium in Calgary.

They're flying out west this morning and they're bringing Times & Transcript sports reporter Neil Hodge with them. It's part of this newspaper's commitment to extensive coverage leading up to next year's CFL regular season game in Moncton, a first for Atlantic Canada.

The Toronto Argonauts will be the home team for a September game played at the new Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium. Their opponent and the date won't be known until the league finalizes next season's schedule early in the new year.

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon has said that he would like the Moncton game to be like a mini Grey Cup with a real festival atmosphere.

The Times & Transcript will provide bonus Grey Cup coverage in its editions tomorrow, Saturday and Monday.

We'll focus on what Moncton city officials are doing in Calgary and what they hope to learn in preparation for the big event here. We'll interview league officials, soak up the festivals and events around the Grey Cup to see what our mini Grey Cup might look like and talk to fans about possible CFL expansion into the Atlantic region.

We'll also look at Saskatchewan's success story, a community-owned franchise in Regina that draws fans from throughout the province. That's the model which usually enters into conversation when discussing the possibility of an Atlantic CFL franchise.

Moncton is looking to host one CFL regular season game per year for the next five seasons and it's anyone's guess whether that could lead to a franchise of our own some day. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 10:41 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Monctons Track & Field stadiums bleachers are really far away from the field in order to accommodate the track.

I took the tour of the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis (Home of the Colts) and it is amazing how compact it is. Even with 63,000 seats it still seems like all the seats are very close to the field. I would like to see Halifax build as compact a stadium as possible with an adequate number of seats. It should also cut down on the roof area required to cover the seats. Does anyone know what the requirements are for the CFL? Is there any reason why the roof can't overhang right to the sidelines of the playing field?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 12:29 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Does anyone know what the requirements are for the CFL? Is there any reason why the roof can't overhang right to the sidelines of the playing field?
CFL stadium requirements aren't very stringent. That they allow the end zones to be cut off at some stadia due to athletics tracks speaks volumes about how obliging they are.

The only requirements that I've heard are that a stadium have a seating capacity of 25,000. Molson Stadium was given an exemption, but even this facility is being expanded to 25,000 for 2010.

I suppose grass or Field Turf are requirements, but doubt there's anything required beyond a very bare bones structure. Perhaps, there's a minimum distance permitted between the field and first row of seats for safety reasons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces